Best in class
By nicolo on
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)
The CX90 is in a class by itself. I drove the 08 MDX (I've owned two), but the V-6 labors, it's still only a five speed, the ride is harsh, and the wind and road noise are too high. The BMW X-3 is a teetering joke, the X-5 3.0 is underpowered, the 4.4 overpriced, besides which the controls are needlessly quirky, the navigation screen miniscule, and the 'leather' looks and feels like 2nd rate plastic. How do they sell those things? The Volvo leather on my premium is sumptuous, the materials and design are great, and the ride responsive but quiet with no wind noise. In short, It's a great ride. And the lease was the same as the the MDX for a car that stickers for 10k more.
Favorite Features
Handling, power, quiet, quality of materials, style and safety, blind spot warning, 6 speed tranny and the great muted growl of that Yamaha 4.4 liter. My '58 P544 had three points belts. Detroit caught up 30 years later, kicking and screaming. Volvo designs safety in.
Suggested Improvements
The factory navigation is so primitive even the Volvo brochure pitches an aftermarket Garmin system, and the premium sound is no great shakes. If you want entertainment buy the MDX. If you want to drive, buy the Volvo.