Used 2008 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volvo XC90

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Over 40k miles
By 04silverado

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 3.2 AWD with 22k miles when it was two years old. I have since put about 45k miles on it. What repairs have I done? Only one thing that I can think of besides brakes and tires. An emissions pump. I consider one repair outside of maintenance in almost 70k miles acceptable. Because of it's weight if you drive aggressively expect it to eat brakes and tires and gas mileage to be in the teens. The original Pirellis had to be replaced shortly after I bought it because they were worn out. I put Sumitomos on it and have yet to replace them with over 40k miles. I do a pretty even mix of city/highway driving. I anticipate getting another year (15/20k miles) out of them.

Favorite Features

Solid build. Almost everyone who has ridden in it comments about how you can tell by simply closing the door how well it is built. I have yet to find a Japanese or American car with built quality anywhere near the Volvo. Google some of the crash stories Volvo owners have shared. One of the safest cars you can put your children in. Layout shows obvious signs of quality engineering. DVD entertainment system. My son prefers my XC90 over my wife's S40 because there is "tv" to watch. We could drive 1000 miles without a peep out of him if we keeps the DVD's playing.

Suggested Improvements

If there were only some way to have the incredibly strong body and thinner pillars. Anyone who has owned or driven a Volvo knows that it's strength and safety comes at the price of larger blind spots. That being said you learn to look 2-3 times before changing lanes. BLIS should be standard. Turning radius is a little wide.

Was a Volvo Family
By 2xvolvoowner

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

We own both the XC90 and S60and have been frustrated with both. In the XC90 past two years, we have collectively had to repair or replace numerous parts and sensors that seem trivial to have to get fix in such an early life of a vehicle. For example, the ignition switch had to be replaced. The right and left side of the seat panel had to be replaced because the plastic cracked. The sunroof leaked. This doesn’t cover all the other issues of the S60. Without exaggeration, this is the most we have ever been inside of a service station. We have written to Volvo to share our concerns and got back a “get lost” attitude. We will never buy another Volvo. Shame on them for their response.

Favorite Features

Nice looking vehicle

Suggested Improvements

Better engineering of parts and more concern from the people who run Volvo. We have written several letters to Volvo Management and have received poor responses. Shame on them to lose a double Volvo costumer due to lack of a better response. We will never buy another Volvo.

Beware of transmission issues
By jero72

2008 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

As represented by MANY blogs, transmission failure is very wide- spread issue. More surprising is the repeat replacement issue. Vovlo doesn't seem to be concerned as there is no public discussin regarding design or manufacturing changes, even for the new models. I fully believe the only reason Volvo has not recalled the vehicle for faulty trany (replacement) is because they haven't been able to link fatalities to the issue. Based on what I am reading and what I am hearing, its only a matter of time. I am very surprised the Luxury Car manufacturer has not taken a more proactive position on this and dealers are very difficult to work with.

Favorite Features

great internal engineering. The vehicle packs a lot of optins and usable features into a very small space. It is clear the end user was in mind when they designed the interior.

Suggested Improvements

focus on improving mechanical components (i.e. transmission)

recommended
By Rawas

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 Special Edition 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

The xc90 is an excellent suv for people looking for design, build quality and durability. It has a special scandinavian character that puts it far ahead of other suvs. volvos are famous for thier safety,practicality and longevity. Built like a tank, with one of the most sophisticted premium audio system installed in cars.If you are looking for muscles and performance, this suv is not for you.

Favorite Features

Design, build quality, premium audio system:Dynaudio speakers.

Suggested Improvements

poor fuel consumption, the 3.2 in line six cylinder engine can easiliy produce more horsepower than the 238 available.

Stranded
By scatback

2008 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

At 33k, the car overheated and stranded us. Picked it up from the dealer after two days, happened again. Twice on the hook in a week. That follows 3 days in the shop for a steering angle sensor, and another day for a headlight. The 4.4 is great, the ride is quiet, the interior is designed for adults. But we've driven 800,000 miles in Acuras and Infinities and never been left on the side of the road. It's happened twice in our low mileage XC90 in a week. Plus, no rearward vision and primitive electronics. We're going back to MDX

Favorite Features

interior looks great and wears like iron with the premium upholstery. Still great looking car, plus the V-8/six speed transmission combo; a real road warrior

Suggested Improvements

rear view camera, bluetooth, decent nav system and better dealer service.