2008 Volvo XC90 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
I Love This Car
By Laura on 07/23/08 20:14 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I got this car mostly because I needed a change from my previous black MDX and black RX300. I got the passion red V8 Sport because it looked terrific and drove nicely on the test drive. I love this car because 2 months after I got it I was in a collision (head on with air bag deployment) with my two toddlers and elderly parents on the way to my daughter's birthday party and we all walked away with a few minor bruises. The tow truck driver and police officers all said to me "thank God you were in a Volvo." The dealer made my car perfect again and I love it more than ever.

New Volvo for me
By MatthewP on 07/13/08 18:42 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 Special Edition 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Within two months the windshield crack not cover by the manufacturing warranty. Too small for 7 seaters, will not fit teen for a trip.

Love it!
By Lars Hoej on 06/16/08 17:49 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

My fourth Volvo, but SUV. A 2008 V8 Special Edition with practically all options. Paid $56,000 and have no regrets. The ride is smooth, steering responsive and road grip and stability far better than my wife's Acura MDX. Second row a bit cramped, but as it is meant for kids and they are more interested in the entertainment system, it's not a big issue. Air condition for the rear seats is on all the time, as it enhances the over-all airflow. The air quality system and BLIS makes highway traffic very comfortable. I drive the car pretty hard and has a mileage below 12, but the V8 sound is so great that it's hard not to use the power.

Great Car/Terrible Mileage
By Chris on 06/09/08 10:46 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

My wife has always wanted the XC90, so we took the plunge when the lease on our Pathfinder was up. It's a beautiful car, and we've owned Volvos all along growing up. From a comfort standpoint, the car is top notch. More interior room than the Pathfinder. Powerful stereo system. It was good to get the familiar Volvo safety I've been used to over the years. Only problem, the gas mileage is horrible. We're aveaging 14.8. But hey, what do you expect for a car that is "dripping" in safety features, that's more important Also, had to drop some paperwork at the dealership one day and something punctured my tire as I was driving out, they reimbursed me for the new tire!

Always in the Shop! Stay Away
By Volvo XC-90 on 05/25/08 13:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I was fooled into buying the XC-90 after the arrival of our first child. Truth is, this has been the worst car we've ever purchased. It drives, but constantly in the shop for several issues, including AC problems, allignment issues, electronics, mechanical, and at one point, they had to replace both front axles completely! Don't be fooled by the safety recommendations, all newer luxury SUV's have good overall safety ratings. Further, the car has horrible traction control in rainy conditions. If you do decide to purchase, please buy the AWD. I do not let my wife and child drive this car when it rains.

Volvo XC 90 DOn't buy one
By SAB on 05/06/08 20:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

First of all horrible mileage, 13.6 MPG average over 2 years. We had multiple problems with this SUV, loose front end, side frame supports needed adjustments. Needed new tires after only 20K miles ??? no warranty ?? I will say the dealer was very good about everything, even though it took them 4 tries to fix one of the main problems.

Volvo V-8
By Dave on 04/24/08 04:55 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

My new XC-90 V-8 is a terrific vehicle. The ride is smooth & comfortable. Power from the V-8 makes driving fun. Volvo has the most comfortable seats in the business. Gas mileage has been decent at an average of 17.5-18.5 mpg in mixed local driving. This is better than my previous Ford Explorer V-8 (16.5-17.5) & my friend's 6 cyl XC-90. The steering is a bit lighter than I would like, but handling is crisp. The new blind spot warning system is very helpful on the highway. All in all, a great vehicle.

Good Deal for the Money
By RD on 04/14/08 12:24 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We came out of a BMW X5 4.4 and couldn't be happier. Performance is the same, ride is sporty but not as stiff; we pretty much got this thing loaded and got a free Garmin Nav unit as well. Ended up with the V8 because we didn't feel the 6 cyl could do the job. Fuel economy in 600 miles of in- town driving around 16.5 mpg; pretty good for a heavy car. The biggest thing for us was keeping the same size SUV and getting more interior room and with the 3rd seat down, there is plenty for her and the baby's stuff. We got ours at the end of the month and after negotiating, they practically gave this thing away. Get the Executive pack with different leather and the blindspot info deal; worth it.

Very happy so far
By JAGinKorea on 04/11/08 20:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Took delivery of this vehicle in Korea using the diplomat and military sales program. Very simple process to custom order the vehicle from the factory and saved nearly $9K over state-side MSRP. Zero mechanical or quality issues since it arrived 8 months ago. Incredibly versatile SUV for my family of five- we've used a variety of seating configurations for different trips, extra guests etc. Very quiet at standstill and on highways and a nice sound to the inline 6 when you step on it. I had driven the V8 version several times before and it is more fun, but I couldn't justify the extra cost and I've never felt I absolutely needed the extra power. One of the best family vehicles out there.

Initial impressions: Excellent!
By Family of Four on 04/08/08 10:37 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Decided on Volvo for safety and built- in booster seat for toddler, luxury items, good 2 yr lease deal. Considered Mercedes M class for same money, but ride and comfort were the worst of any SUV I've driven. Very surprised. I even test drove the M-B three times, but to no avail. Acura MDX was more luxurious and had better bells/whistles, reliability, but lease deals were poor. Only stripped down MDX was offered as a deal, but adding options was costly! BMW X5 - too small and clunky doors- wife hated it! Man's car. Lexus RX was wonderful, but too small for our needs. Volvo has best safety record, but scary reliability. I got a 2 year lease since didn't want to live with a mistake for 3 years.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.