2008 Volvo XC90 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Solid SUV
By Fuzzball on 02/02/09 10:09 AM (PST)

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 Special Edition 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

We leased this SUV after 7 leases of Volvo cars before it. We had outgrown any car they make and this is a perfect fit. Lots of room, extra row of seats, (not much room there) and all the emenities needed. The ride is solid, plenty of room for me, (6'2'') amd a son of the same size. The premium sound is great, there is more than enough power to enter the highway safely and easily, braking is solid also. Car looks great, very reliable and lots of room in the back for luggage and whatever you pick up at Home Depot. The leather seats are as comfortable as at home, heat is great, have yet to do a summer with the black leather interior, but we are not concerned.

2008 XC 90 is Great
By Chief1 on 01/03/09 19:14 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 Special Edition 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Great car. Enjoy the comfort of the ride. The Sirius radio is a great addition. The SUV lacks armrests for rear passengers. Lack of the armrest is huge disappointment. Lack of armrest made our rear seat passengers uncomfortable. I cannot understand why developers did not include rear seat arm rest for passenger. The styling is great. The car is eye catching. The performance of the front wheel drive is great. Numerous safety features are available.

Great value for money
By birdman on 11/12/08 23:21 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 Special Edition 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I've now driven almost 2200 miles with my XC90 3.2. No mechanical or other problems. The ride is a bit stiff but that does help the handling. Overall, it is an easy to handle car, but one does notice it is big and heavy. The AWD keeps it on the road all the time and it doesn't flip/ flop turning corners as much as other SUV's. But it does a bit the tendency to go straight when turning corners, probably based on it being a primairily FWD based car. The 3.2 is a nice engine, with enough power to handle the car and a full load of passengers and luggage. I can imagine with the weight of the car that the V8 would be a lot nicer to drive, although the mileage will be even worse.

Perfect truck at the right price
By Costin Harnoncourt on 11/02/08 15:39 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

We got this truck because it looks great, is very comfortable, rates very high in safety and best of all we got $10K of the sticker price. The seats are amazing, room for 7 and lots of trunk space. Great stereo system and power everything. The only problem is poor gas mileage

"Volvo for Life" Great Motto
By Lucy Boudet on 10/29/08 11:34 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This is my 2nd XC90. Came out of a great experience in a 2005 XC90 and couldn't find anything I really wanted better. Tested a Mazda CX9, Mercedes M Class, Subaru Tribeca, Highlander, Lexus RX 350...and on and on. It may not have the fun "zoom-zoom quality of the Mazda, but the Mazda outside mirrors vibrate like crazy...rear seats vibrated...tracks in the floor looked so cheap. Mercedes was nice but didn't like the paddle shifter and it's too small cargo area. Volvo makes the most beautiful, classy looking SUV. Nothing beats the feeling of quality in my XC 90. This new engine drives great. I thought I'd miss the Turbo. Not at all. Great lease deals make it the perfect family vehicle.

Way Overpriced
By sdd on 10/25/08 21:35 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We bought the XC90 after owning a Suburban to get a smaller vehicle, a "luxury" SUV, and for the safety features. The safety features are there, but this SUV is not a sturdy vehicle for active families. The middle console has come out, the doors do not automatically lock/unlock, it rattles, the seats in the back rows are difficult to lay down-just to name a few of our complaints. For the money, we regret we did not purchase the Lexus or the Land Cruiser.

Best in class
By nicolo on 10/15/08 18:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The CX90 is in a class by itself. I drove the 08 MDX (I've owned two), but the V-6 labors, it's still only a five speed, the ride is harsh, and the wind and road noise are too high. The BMW X-3 is a teetering joke, the X-5 3.0 is underpowered, the 4.4 overpriced, besides which the controls are needlessly quirky, the navigation screen miniscule, and the 'leather' looks and feels like 2nd rate plastic. How do they sell those things? The Volvo leather on my premium is sumptuous, the materials and design are great, and the ride responsive but quiet with no wind noise. In short, It's a great ride. And the lease was the same as the the MDX for a car that stickers for 10k more.

Not Impressed
By JZ on 09/26/08 06:10 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I leased this vehicle and I'm glad I leased it and not purchsed! Looking forward to giving it back! The seats are uncomfortable, at least the driver seat is. Blind spots, visiblity isn't the greatest! I owned a Ford Explorer prior to this lease and I plan to go back to the Explorer once this lease is up! I also experience a delay when turning a corner and steping on the gas. It takes a second or two before you actually accelerate!

Solid, Comfortable
By dackmd on 09/21/08 03:36 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 Special Edition 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this XC90 after 4 years in a Caddy SRX. Looked at and drove an MDX, ML350, Highlander, Enclave and a BMW X- 5. All nice, well built autos, but when you sit in the XC90, shut the door and drive you feel safe and comfortable. Controls are well layed out and everything is easy to use. No useless extras in the dash to "play" with. It has a solid feel on the road, either 4 lane interstate or two lane back roads. Recently took an 800 mile round trip and averaged 22 mpg. Not bad for going 75 to 80 mph.

My 2nd XC 90 - 2008 V8
By eastcoastjim on 09/08/08 10:15 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We leased our 2nd XC 90 in August 2008, and couldn't be happier. Our first lease was a 2006 XC 90 with the 5 cyl. turbo, and it was a mediocre performer. Way underpowered, it worked so hard all the time it got horrible gas mileage and forget trying to get it to do a 50 to 70 pass on the highway. It had some warrenty work, but none of the horror stories I have read elsewhere. Based on the improved reliability cited by consumer's reports, we decided to lease a new V8. It is light years better - it feels like a completely different car, and the gas mileage is about the same between the two. There are only minor differences between the model yrs, and the incentives made them the same price!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Volvo XC90 in NJ is:

$199 per month*