2008 Volvo XC90 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Beware of transmission issues
By jero72 on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

As represented by MANY blogs, transmission failure is very wide- spread issue. More surprising is the repeat replacement issue. Vovlo doesn't seem to be concerned as there is no public discussin regarding design or manufacturing changes, even for the new models. I fully believe the only reason Volvo has not recalled the vehicle for faulty trany (replacement) is because they haven't been able to link fatalities to the issue. Based on what I am reading and what I am hearing, its only a matter of time. I am very surprised the Luxury Car manufacturer has not taken a more proactive position on this and dealers are very difficult to work with.

Stranded
By scatback on 08/30/10 19:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

At 33k, the car overheated and stranded us. Picked it up from the dealer after two days, happened again. Twice on the hook in a week. That follows 3 days in the shop for a steering angle sensor, and another day for a headlight. The 4.4 is great, the ride is quiet, the interior is designed for adults. But we've driven 800,000 miles in Acuras and Infinities and never been left on the side of the road. It's happened twice in our low mileage XC90 in a week. Plus, no rearward vision and primitive electronics. We're going back to MDX

Great car needs better tires
By scatback on 12/22/09 19:00 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

20,000 trouble free miles in the V-8, average 19.7 mpg in mixed driving. Love the premium leather, the drive train, the ride and quality and the looks. But Volvo shouldn't build a all wheel drive car with the 19" Pirelli Scorpians. They are useless, not to say dangerous, in even light snow, got real noisy after 15,000 miles and were ready for scrap after 20k. I've replaced the with Conti HDC's, which are stock on Mercedes. My only other complaint is the turning radius that resembles a super tanker (supposedly to accommodate the width of the V-8); we call ours the "Queen Mary".

AWESOME SUV!
By mBot on 10/21/09 07:43 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Leased our 08 XC90 V8 AWD with Premium Package and Bi-Xenons in Feb '08. Best car we've ever owned! 24,000 miles on it so far and love it. No problems! Perfect size......spacious inside, 3rd Row if you need it / lots of cargo room if you don't. 2nd row slides fore and aft to adjust legroom where it's needed most. Excellent interior materials and quality. Drives like a dream. Yamaha-built 4.4L V8 is a ROCKET and has tons of passing power, but will get 22-23 mpg on the highway if you set the cruise at 60-62mph. Yes, this is AWD:) Handles rock solid in the snow if you put snow tires on it. Great car.......we're definitely buying it at the end of the lease

20K+ and Still Liking it
By 20K+ on 04/24/09 16:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I've driven the XC90 for 20K+ miles still love it. Mileage is almost always over 20. Trips - Norway/Sweden 1,700 miles - 23.8 mpg. Upper Midwest 2,400 - 23.4 mpg. New England - 3,400 miles 23.7 mpg. Amazingly good mileage. Comfort can't be beat. Have had ZERO problems, not even one repair trip to the dealer. It will be a long time before I trade-in this car.

Way Overpriced
By sdd on 10/25/08 21:35 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We bought the XC90 after owning a Suburban to get a smaller vehicle, a "luxury" SUV, and for the safety features. The safety features are there, but this SUV is not a sturdy vehicle for active families. The middle console has come out, the doors do not automatically lock/unlock, it rattles, the seats in the back rows are difficult to lay down-just to name a few of our complaints. For the money, we regret we did not purchase the Lexus or the Land Cruiser.

Best in class
By nicolo on 10/15/08 18:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The CX90 is in a class by itself. I drove the 08 MDX (I've owned two), but the V-6 labors, it's still only a five speed, the ride is harsh, and the wind and road noise are too high. The BMW X-3 is a teetering joke, the X-5 3.0 is underpowered, the 4.4 overpriced, besides which the controls are needlessly quirky, the navigation screen miniscule, and the 'leather' looks and feels like 2nd rate plastic. How do they sell those things? The Volvo leather on my premium is sumptuous, the materials and design are great, and the ride responsive but quiet with no wind noise. In short, It's a great ride. And the lease was the same as the the MDX for a car that stickers for 10k more.

Not Impressed
By JZ on 09/26/08 06:10 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I leased this vehicle and I'm glad I leased it and not purchsed! Looking forward to giving it back! The seats are uncomfortable, at least the driver seat is. Blind spots, visiblity isn't the greatest! I owned a Ford Explorer prior to this lease and I plan to go back to the Explorer once this lease is up! I also experience a delay when turning a corner and steping on the gas. It takes a second or two before you actually accelerate!

My 2nd XC 90 - 2008 V8
By eastcoastjim on 09/08/08 10:15 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We leased our 2nd XC 90 in August 2008, and couldn't be happier. Our first lease was a 2006 XC 90 with the 5 cyl. turbo, and it was a mediocre performer. Way underpowered, it worked so hard all the time it got horrible gas mileage and forget trying to get it to do a 50 to 70 pass on the highway. It had some warrenty work, but none of the horror stories I have read elsewhere. Based on the improved reliability cited by consumer's reports, we decided to lease a new V8. It is light years better - it feels like a completely different car, and the gas mileage is about the same between the two. There are only minor differences between the model yrs, and the incentives made them the same price!

Love it!
By Lars Hoej on 06/16/08 17:49 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

My fourth Volvo, but SUV. A 2008 V8 Special Edition with practically all options. Paid $56,000 and have no regrets. The ride is smooth, steering responsive and road grip and stability far better than my wife's Acura MDX. Second row a bit cramped, but as it is meant for kids and they are more interested in the entertainment system, it's not a big issue. Air condition for the rear seats is on all the time, as it enhances the over-all airflow. The air quality system and BLIS makes highway traffic very comfortable. I drive the car pretty hard and has a mileage below 12, but the V8 sound is so great that it's hard not to use the power.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.