2008 Volvo XC90 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Over 40k miles
By 04silverado on 12/02/12 15:59 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 3.2 AWD with 22k miles when it was two years old. I have since put about 45k miles on it. What repairs have I done? Only one thing that I can think of besides brakes and tires. An emissions pump. I consider one repair outside of maintenance in almost 70k miles acceptable. Because of it's weight if you drive aggressively expect it to eat brakes and tires and gas mileage to be in the teens. The original Pirellis had to be replaced shortly after I bought it because they were worn out. I put Sumitomos on it and have yet to replace them with over 40k miles. I do a pretty even mix of city/highway driving. I anticipate getting another year (15/20k miles) out of them.

Was a Volvo Family
By 2xvolvoowner on 05/16/12 12:14 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

We own both the XC90 and S60and have been frustrated with both. In the XC90 past two years, we have collectively had to repair or replace numerous parts and sensors that seem trivial to have to get fix in such an early life of a vehicle. For example, the ignition switch had to be replaced. The right and left side of the seat panel had to be replaced because the plastic cracked. The sunroof leaked. This doesn’t cover all the other issues of the S60. Without exaggeration, this is the most we have ever been inside of a service station. We have written to Volvo to share our concerns and got back a “get lost” attitude. We will never buy another Volvo. Shame on them for their response.

Fun to drive and look at
By Stevepei on 02/17/09 07:57 AM (PST)

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I was going to buy a Lexus RX350 but told the salesman that I had another appointment at the Volvo dealership that morning. I would most probably come back to close the deal with him after the appointment. After a test drive of Volvo XC90, I changed my mind right away. The car felt smooth, sturdy, and macho, having an excellent road grip at highway curves. I have driven the car for almost 5 months since then and never had a problem with its workmanship. Believe it or not, it is also a head turner on highway. One major complaint I have about the car is gas mileage, so far I have 14.8 m/g. Another complaint is its slow acceleration, but I have learned to live with that.

Perfect truck at the right price
By Costin Harnoncourt on 11/02/08 15:39 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

We got this truck because it looks great, is very comfortable, rates very high in safety and best of all we got $10K of the sticker price. The seats are amazing, room for 7 and lots of trunk space. Great stereo system and power everything. The only problem is poor gas mileage

"Volvo for Life" Great Motto
By Lucy Boudet on 10/29/08 11:34 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This is my 2nd XC90. Came out of a great experience in a 2005 XC90 and couldn't find anything I really wanted better. Tested a Mazda CX9, Mercedes M Class, Subaru Tribeca, Highlander, Lexus RX 350...and on and on. It may not have the fun "zoom-zoom quality of the Mazda, but the Mazda outside mirrors vibrate like crazy...rear seats vibrated...tracks in the floor looked so cheap. Mercedes was nice but didn't like the paddle shifter and it's too small cargo area. Volvo makes the most beautiful, classy looking SUV. Nothing beats the feeling of quality in my XC 90. This new engine drives great. I thought I'd miss the Turbo. Not at all. Great lease deals make it the perfect family vehicle.

Great Car/Terrible Mileage
By Chris on 06/09/08 10:46 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

My wife has always wanted the XC90, so we took the plunge when the lease on our Pathfinder was up. It's a beautiful car, and we've owned Volvos all along growing up. From a comfort standpoint, the car is top notch. More interior room than the Pathfinder. Powerful stereo system. It was good to get the familiar Volvo safety I've been used to over the years. Only problem, the gas mileage is horrible. We're aveaging 14.8. But hey, what do you expect for a car that is "dripping" in safety features, that's more important Also, had to drop some paperwork at the dealership one day and something punctured my tire as I was driving out, they reimbursed me for the new tire!

Always in the Shop! Stay Away
By Volvo XC-90 on 05/25/08 13:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I was fooled into buying the XC-90 after the arrival of our first child. Truth is, this has been the worst car we've ever purchased. It drives, but constantly in the shop for several issues, including AC problems, allignment issues, electronics, mechanical, and at one point, they had to replace both front axles completely! Don't be fooled by the safety recommendations, all newer luxury SUV's have good overall safety ratings. Further, the car has horrible traction control in rainy conditions. If you do decide to purchase, please buy the AWD. I do not let my wife and child drive this car when it rains.

Volvo XC 90 DOn't buy one
By SAB on 05/06/08 20:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

First of all horrible mileage, 13.6 MPG average over 2 years. We had multiple problems with this SUV, loose front end, side frame supports needed adjustments. Needed new tires after only 20K miles ??? no warranty ?? I will say the dealer was very good about everything, even though it took them 4 tries to fix one of the main problems.

Very happy so far
By JAGinKorea on 04/11/08 20:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Took delivery of this vehicle in Korea using the diplomat and military sales program. Very simple process to custom order the vehicle from the factory and saved nearly $9K over state-side MSRP. Zero mechanical or quality issues since it arrived 8 months ago. Incredibly versatile SUV for my family of five- we've used a variety of seating configurations for different trips, extra guests etc. Very quiet at standstill and on highways and a nice sound to the inline 6 when you step on it. I had driven the V8 version several times before and it is more fun, but I couldn't justify the extra cost and I've never felt I absolutely needed the extra power. One of the best family vehicles out there.

I think I got hoodwinked
By Nervous Wife on 03/08/08 01:25 AM (PST)

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Always wanted a Volvo XC90. Bought one. Very happy when delivered. Thought I got a safe and reliable tank! Wrong! The car broke and was towed to the dealership after one week of ownership. It is now back in my garage. How do you feel when you shelled out 40k for a SUV that breaks this early in your ownership? I now keep my fingers crossed. Read your state's Lemon Law. I did. I hope I won't need it. I like this car, but...

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.