Used 2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 SUV Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Over 40k miles
By 04silverado

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 3.2 AWD with 22k miles when it was two years old.
I have since put about 45k miles on it.
What repairs have I done?
Only one thing that I can think of besides brakes and tires.
An emissions pump.
I consider one repair outside of maintenance in almost 70k miles acceptable.
Because of it's weight if you drive aggressively expect it to eat brakes and tires and gas mileage to be in the teens.

The original Pirellis had to be replaced shortly after I bought it because they were worn out.
I put Sumitomos on it and have yet to replace them with over 40k miles.
I do a pretty even mix of city/highway driving.
I anticipate getting another year (15/20k miles) out of them.

Solid build. Almost everyone who has ridden in it comments about how you can tell by simply closing the door how well it is built. I have yet to find a Japanese or American car with built quality anywhere near the Volvo. Google some of the crash stories Volvo owners have shared. One of the safest cars you can put your children in. Layout shows obvious signs of quality engineering. DVD entertainment system. My son prefers my XC90 over my wife's S40 because there is "tv" to watch. We could drive 1000 miles without a peep out of him if we keeps the DVD's playing.

If there were only some way to have the incredibly strong body and thinner pillars. Anyone who has owned or driven a Volvo knows that it's strength and safety comes at the price of larger blind spots. That being said you learn to look 2-3 times before changing lanes. BLIS should be standard. Turning radius is a little wide.

Was a Volvo Family
By 2xvolvoowner

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

We own both the XC90 and S60and have been frustrated with both.
In the XC90 past two years, we have collectively had to repair or replace numerous parts and sensors that seem trivial to have to get fix in such an early life of a vehicle. For example, the ignition switch had to be replaced.
The right and left side of the seat panel had to be replaced because the plastic cracked. The sunroof leaked. This doesn’t cover all the other issues of the S60.
Without exaggeration, this is the most we have ever been inside of a service station. We have written to Volvo to share our concerns and got back a “get lost” attitude. We will never buy another Volvo. Shame on them for their response.

Nice looking vehicle

Better engineering of parts and more concern from the people who run Volvo. We have written several letters to Volvo Management and have received poor responses. Shame on them to lose a double Volvo costumer due to lack of a better response. We will never buy another Volvo.

Fun to drive and look at
By Stevepei

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I was going to buy a Lexus RX350 but told the salesman that I had another appointment at the Volvo dealership that morning. I would most probably come back to close the deal with him after the appointment. After a test drive of Volvo XC90, I changed my mind right away. The car felt smooth, sturdy, and macho, having an excellent road grip at highway curves. I have driven the car for almost 5 months since then and never had a problem with its workmanship. Believe it or not, it is also a head turner on highway. One major complaint I have about the car is gas mileage, so far I have 14.8 m/g. Another complaint is its slow acceleration, but I have learned to live with that.

Perfect truck at the right price
By Costin Harnoncourt

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

We got this truck because it looks great, is very comfortable, rates very high in safety and best of all we got $10K of the sticker price. The seats are amazing, room for 7 and lots of trunk space. Great stereo system and power everything. The only problem is poor gas mileage

Stereo and price

Gas mileage

"Volvo for Life" Great Motto
By Lucy Boudet

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This is my 2nd XC90. Came out of a great experience in a 2005 XC90 and couldn't find anything I really wanted better. Tested a Mazda CX9, Mercedes M Class, Subaru Tribeca, Highlander, Lexus RX 350...and on and on. It may not have the fun "zoom-zoom quality of the Mazda, but the Mazda outside mirrors vibrate like crazy...rear seats vibrated...tracks in the floor looked so cheap. Mercedes was nice but didn't like the paddle shifter and it's too small cargo area. Volvo makes the most beautiful, classy looking SUV. Nothing beats the feeling of quality in my XC 90. This new engine drives great. I thought I'd miss the Turbo. Not at all. Great lease deals make it the perfect family vehicle.

Wood steering wheel, exterior styling, beautiful leather comfy seats, outside mirrors that fold in with a push of a button, solid as a tank safety. steering feels great. Third row seats without a minivan feel to the interior

Bluetooth standard. Better radio. Needs a nice refresh of its styling in and out as beautiful as it is.