2008 Volvo XC90 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Over 40k miles
By 04silverado on 12/02/12 15:59 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 3.2 AWD with 22k miles when it was two years old. I have since put about 45k miles on it. What repairs have I done? Only one thing that I can think of besides brakes and tires. An emissions pump. I consider one repair outside of maintenance in almost 70k miles acceptable. Because of it's weight if you drive aggressively expect it to eat brakes and tires and gas mileage to be in the teens. The original Pirellis had to be replaced shortly after I bought it because they were worn out. I put Sumitomos on it and have yet to replace them with over 40k miles. I do a pretty even mix of city/highway driving. I anticipate getting another year (15/20k miles) out of them.

Was a Volvo Family
By 2xvolvoowner on 05/16/12 12:14 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

We own both the XC90 and S60and have been frustrated with both. In the XC90 past two years, we have collectively had to repair or replace numerous parts and sensors that seem trivial to have to get fix in such an early life of a vehicle. For example, the ignition switch had to be replaced. The right and left side of the seat panel had to be replaced because the plastic cracked. The sunroof leaked. This doesn’t cover all the other issues of the S60. Without exaggeration, this is the most we have ever been inside of a service station. We have written to Volvo to share our concerns and got back a “get lost” attitude. We will never buy another Volvo. Shame on them for their response.

Beware of transmission issues
By jero72 on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

As represented by MANY blogs, transmission failure is very wide- spread issue. More surprising is the repeat replacement issue. Vovlo doesn't seem to be concerned as there is no public discussin regarding design or manufacturing changes, even for the new models. I fully believe the only reason Volvo has not recalled the vehicle for faulty trany (replacement) is because they haven't been able to link fatalities to the issue. Based on what I am reading and what I am hearing, its only a matter of time. I am very surprised the Luxury Car manufacturer has not taken a more proactive position on this and dealers are very difficult to work with.

recommended
By Rawas on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 Special Edition 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

The xc90 is an excellent suv for people looking for design, build quality and durability. It has a special scandinavian character that puts it far ahead of other suvs. volvos are famous for thier safety,practicality and longevity. Built like a tank, with one of the most sophisticted premium audio system installed in cars.If you are looking for muscles and performance, this suv is not for you.

Stranded
By scatback on 08/30/10 19:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

At 33k, the car overheated and stranded us. Picked it up from the dealer after two days, happened again. Twice on the hook in a week. That follows 3 days in the shop for a steering angle sensor, and another day for a headlight. The 4.4 is great, the ride is quiet, the interior is designed for adults. But we've driven 800,000 miles in Acuras and Infinities and never been left on the side of the road. It's happened twice in our low mileage XC90 in a week. Plus, no rearward vision and primitive electronics. We're going back to MDX

Great car needs better tires
By scatback on 12/22/09 19:00 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

20,000 trouble free miles in the V-8, average 19.7 mpg in mixed driving. Love the premium leather, the drive train, the ride and quality and the looks. But Volvo shouldn't build a all wheel drive car with the 19" Pirelli Scorpians. They are useless, not to say dangerous, in even light snow, got real noisy after 15,000 miles and were ready for scrap after 20k. I've replaced the with Conti HDC's, which are stock on Mercedes. My only other complaint is the turning radius that resembles a super tanker (supposedly to accommodate the width of the V-8); we call ours the "Queen Mary".

AWESOME SUV!
By mBot on 10/21/09 07:43 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Leased our 08 XC90 V8 AWD with Premium Package and Bi-Xenons in Feb '08. Best car we've ever owned! 24,000 miles on it so far and love it. No problems! Perfect size......spacious inside, 3rd Row if you need it / lots of cargo room if you don't. 2nd row slides fore and aft to adjust legroom where it's needed most. Excellent interior materials and quality. Drives like a dream. Yamaha-built 4.4L V8 is a ROCKET and has tons of passing power, but will get 22-23 mpg on the highway if you set the cruise at 60-62mph. Yes, this is AWD:) Handles rock solid in the snow if you put snow tires on it. Great car.......we're definitely buying it at the end of the lease

20K+ and Still Liking it
By 20K+ on 04/24/09 16:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I've driven the XC90 for 20K+ miles still love it. Mileage is almost always over 20. Trips - Norway/Sweden 1,700 miles - 23.8 mpg. Upper Midwest 2,400 - 23.4 mpg. New England - 3,400 miles 23.7 mpg. Amazingly good mileage. Comfort can't be beat. Have had ZERO problems, not even one repair trip to the dealer. It will be a long time before I trade-in this car.

Fun to drive and look at
By Stevepei on 02/17/09 07:57 AM (PST)

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I was going to buy a Lexus RX350 but told the salesman that I had another appointment at the Volvo dealership that morning. I would most probably come back to close the deal with him after the appointment. After a test drive of Volvo XC90, I changed my mind right away. The car felt smooth, sturdy, and macho, having an excellent road grip at highway curves. I have driven the car for almost 5 months since then and never had a problem with its workmanship. Believe it or not, it is also a head turner on highway. One major complaint I have about the car is gas mileage, so far I have 14.8 m/g. Another complaint is its slow acceleration, but I have learned to live with that.

Jury is still out
By Jury is still out on 02/16/09 18:49 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The wife and I have been driving the XC90 V8 for a little over a year now. The drive is exceptional and the power is second to none. This vehicle drives like a fine tuned sports car and grips the road like velcro. The vehicle is a real head turner going down the road and at traffic lights. Dynaudio is the best. Navigation is OK, but could be a little better with response times. I have missed a turn or two when driving. I am a bit surprised that some of the interior plastic decor parts (pieces that cover some of the metal have fallen off and the middle console is loosey goosey when you go to store something away. We are leasing and will be turning the vehicle in at the end of 2009

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.