Excellent Used Car Value
By cjbluedevil06 on
2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)
I purchased my XC90 2.5T in March. It is the third Volvo that I have owned and is by far my favorite. I traded in my 2004 S60 to buy the XC90. Many people say that the 2.5T engine is underpowered, but I feel that its 208hp feels peppy and is perfectly matched to the transmission. The handling feels confident and the seats are very comfortable. As far as cargo spaces is concerned, I am pleased. Fuel economy is decent for a vehicle of its size. I average about 17 in town and 23-24 on the highway. The cabin is quiet and the interior is composed of high quality materials. My vehicle has the optional navigation system, which is nice, but inputing information can be an annoyance.
Favorite Features
The spacious interior, 2.5T 5 Cylinder engine, cargo space, grocery bag holder, sunroof, and under-floor storage (since I do not have the optional third row).
Suggested Improvements
After owning the three Volvos, I have learned a thing or two about reliability. In buying a used XC90, I knew to not go with the 2003-2005 T6 models with the 6 cylinder engine. The GM transmissions that were used in those were terribly weak. Owners were lucky to get 80K miles out of the transmission before experiencing issues. 5 cylinder engines use an Aisin-Warner transmission, which is extremely reliable. In 2007, Volvo introduced the inline 6 cylinder (3.2) engine. These are also mated to a very reliable transmission. My only chief complaint with the XC90 is some of the rattling plastics. The car has an good interior, but the plastics can sometimes have annoying rattles.