Used 2006 Volvo XC90 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volvo Xc90 - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

You get what you pay for
By Corby

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have had my XC90 for just over a year now. It's the best vehicle I've ever owned but has some small drawbacks that I can overlook. The driver seat is already starting to feel as if it is wearing on the outer bolster. Overall it handles great for its size and does better than great on the autobahn in Germany at speed. The 6-speed tip-tronic changes are somewhat slushy during gear changes. I still compare it to the Touareg and LR3 that my co-workers have and I find it to be a better vehicle than theirs. Some of the options could come down in price. Over $3k for navigation is too much. I bought an aftermarket system for less than $600. But you pay quality money for a quality SUV.

Favorite Features

DVD System for traveling. 6-speed keeps RPM's down during long trips. adaptive steering, Park Assist, cold weather accessories are great, would like more window defrosters on side- rear windows. SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY!

Suggested Improvements

DVD system should use all surround sound speakers. Lower the navigation price. MP3/4 compatible. Multiple moonroofs like LR3. Rear/middle seats should recline, have longer tracks for sliding back, improve middle legroom. Change tailgate, make one piece sliding rear window an option (4Runner style)

Sorry but I don't miss Z4 or C230 much
By z4jjazzman

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I had two cars b4 this and they were MB C230 and BMW Z4. Believe it or not I don't miss much of those two. They were both great get away cars but neither were comfortable cars. XC90 is just one extremely comfortable car to drive and I looked at Tourag seriously but it was little too small and I just couldn't risk VW's reliability. I had 2002 GTI and was in shop every two weeks and lasted less than 2 yrs. My brother just bought new 2006 Passat.. stopped on next day of purchase.. Rear AC was not working and turns out vent was missing. What a poor built quality. Beware of VW!

Favorite Features

Spacious cargo sread and comfortable seat.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage should be better for this sized engine. Reliability could be better. Every Volvo dealers I've been to are very cheap looking. VW or Honda dealers are much more luxurious!!

Not the Volvo of old
By ghoward

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

After owning Volvo's for years, I tried other brands over the last 5 years, Infinity and Lexus. This year I decided it was time to return to Volvo's and purchased a 2006-XC90. It is not the Volvo I drove and loved for years! I still like the safety aspects of the vehicle, but the dependability and feel are gone for me. The cabin is loud and the ride is rough. I had to have it towed to back to the dealer two weeks after I bought it when it would not start. I will not be a Volvo customer in the future. The other premium brands have left them in the dust.

Florida Volvo XC90
By Gerry Kirkpatrick

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I enjoy driving this vehicle and feel extremely safe in it My only disappointment is in the gas mileage. I traded in a Tahoe in perfect condition to get rid of the 8 cylinder engine only to get less gas mileage. If I had know about the mileage I would have gone with the more powerful 8 cyl.Volvo as it had a smoother ride and more power on the road.

Favorite Features

I love the fold down 3rd row seating. When I am not carrying a lot of people it allows me a sizable cargo area. The 3rd seat is more than adequate and we have traveled several hundred miles with people comfortably seated there (myself included).

Suggested Improvements

Having the cruise control on the steering wheel causes me to switch it on accidentally frequently. This has caused me no problems so far but I have heard of cruise control problems on wet roads etc. A little worrisome.

Awesome SUV
By Gary Howard

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

From the delivery from Neftin Volvo ( awesome dealership) the XC90 has been my favorite car ever. Rides like a magic carpet and off roads like rhino. I LOVE IT!