2006 Volvo XC90 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Its so great!
By lh on 02/17/06 10:30 AM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I can't say enough about this car. It is easy and fun to drive, is very safe, and feels like a sturdy well built car. I chose this car after driving several others in the same price range. This by far seemed like you were getting more "bang for your buck"

Excellent Car! Great Price
By Cindy Fabre on 02/13/06 20:41 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have this car fully loaded. The navigation is great. It prompts you, big screen, and is accurate. I also love the DVD system. The twin screens are great. The car drives smoothly, and I have no problems (knock on wood). I had previously owned the merceds that had issues every few months. This is an excellent value for the price and you can put the cheap gas in. The Booster Seat is also a great feature.

Love it!
By Eric H on 02/12/06 16:05 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Our family's first Volvo. Bought it for my wife after she had a baby -- she's no longer able to drive her 2-seater convertible with the baby. We both love it. Smooth drive. Very stylish. Chose this SUV after test driving and strongly considering BMW X5, VW Touareg, and Range Rover. Choosing the Volvo just seemed clear to us to be the smart choice, especially when it comes to safety and reliability.

Best SUV for your dollar
By M. Smith on 02/09/06 20:56 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Best fit and finish I have seen in an SUV. We traded-in a 2006 Lexus RX330. The quality of the Volvo is far better than the RX330. The 5 cyl. Turbo has more power than I thought. Great seating, great interior quality, AWD seems to work fine. The XC90 is the same price as the RX330. Once you drive and compare qualtiy and saftey the Volvo wins. The Volvo is built like a tank (solid doors, etc.) Lexus doors are light and dent very easy. After owning the Lexus and Volvo, I feel the Lexus is over rated, and the Volvo is under rated. Volvo XC90 is a great product. With 1,500 miles we average 15MPG (all city driving) the Lexus RX330 averaged 16MPG with 3,200 miles. Volo weighs 600lbs more.

Cramped Interior Space
By JJ on 02/04/06 14:13 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Nice quality materials...my wife loves it but she is 5'3" tall and 110 lbs me on the other hand I am 6'1" 215lbs I find the interior way to cramped especially for knee room...the ride is nice but I feel like I'm sliding off the seat due to poor side bolstering...the 2004 seats were better than the latest versions which changed in 2005...bad choice.

exactly what I expected
By kevin on 02/04/06 10:21 AM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Dealer service not the greatest, but its not the cars fault. You dont have to fight the car at any time, you dont realize it weighs 4000+ pounds. Very solid but smooth feel, I think tire life will suffer. Reputation of longevity was deciding factor, I avg.18,000 - 22,000 miles per year.

Best Bang For The Buck
By Steve on 01/25/06 18:07 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Outstanding performance, ride and handling. Does not drive like an SUV at all. By far the best "SUV" I've ever driven. Extremely fast and agile for a 4600 pound car. The V8 sounds great and is also a work of engineering art. The fit and finish of the XC90 is about as good as it gets. Compared the XC90 to a BMW X5 which costs at least $10,000 more and the Volvo wins hands down. Plus, I'm a big guy, 6'4", 265 pounds and feel very comfortable in the car. I can't say that about many vehicles. For the price, sticker was about $50,000, it can't be beat.

Much better than I expected!
By FredMant on 01/21/06 08:46 AM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this for my wife. I'm a BMW nut, but the X3 was too small and the X5 was just too expensive. I didn't even drive it until she picked it up. Now, when we go out, I love to take HER Volvo. I'm amazed at how peppy the 2.5 engine really is. The seats are as comfortable as the ones in my BMW 530i sedan, and I like the higher visibility. Heated seats work great, the climate control is easy to use and the stereo is great for a stock unit. FM and AM reception is far reaching and quiet. My only complaint is the drive around town gas mileage is a poor 14.5 mpg. On the highway, I can get about 19. We love the XC90. We got in silver with black leather interior, so it will look good for years!

Not that great
By jeff on 01/13/06 10:44 AM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We've had to bring out car in several times already and it's 4 months old. The heat was blowing hot and cold air which turned out to be a software problem. It was also making a very annoying whirring noise, which we were told was normal for rack and pinion steering. It finally went away after our last visit to the shop. Gas mileage is poor. Design on some of the dials aren't to great since they have little faint light indcators which are impossible to read in the sun(the fan level indicator, e.g.) The trunk unlock feature is annoying, you can't just pop the trunk.

really no problems
By cj on 01/09/06 13:23 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

excellent suv -- was initially concerned regarding some of the negative press that the xc90 received when it was first released; then, in talking with the salespeople, realized that majority of probs were engine related from the t6 which is no longer available. have had only one prob -- when driving the car at highway speeds, i heard a noise that i can only describle as a siren's scream. did some research, found out it likely was coming from the roof rack -- brought it in, fixed in 30 min. no other probs. ife, for whom car was for, loves it -- very solid drive.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.