Used 2006 Volvo XC90 SUV Consumer Reviews - 100 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

my 2nd xc90
By Derrick

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is our second xc90, we loved our 2004, but we wanted the rear entertainment package, so we traded for a 2006 with everthing. After looking at some other SUVs recently due to co-workers buying new ones I wouldn't trade mine for anything else I've seen out yet.

The seats in a volvo are the best, the way the headrest cradles your head, and the way the seat hugs you can't be beat. This is our fourth volvo, and we currently own two.

Gas mileage could be better, we currently only get 21 mpg.

So far, so good
By amy

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I've had my '06 for 16 months now but before that had an 05. Just test drove an ML 350 from Mercedes and I must say I prefer my Volvo. Granted the ML had a few features that were nice but overall, my Volvo had much more comfortable seats and more features for the price, i.e. dvd system, memory driver's seat, etc. I also have much more cargo area in my Volvo and because it's a bigger car I have more legroom and just feel safer. Close the doors on the Mercedes and do the same with the Volvo and you'll know the difference. My only gripe so far with the Volvo is the cheaply made stereo speaker units in the front corners. Should be better for a 50K+ vehicle.

Seat comfort, rain sensor, memory seating, roominess, safety, heaviness of the vehicle.

Would like some sort of acknowledgement from the car that I've locked it (i.e. beep) and unlocked it. Better made speaker units in front of car instead of cheap plastic speaker units, remote access/opening/closing to doors, trunk, windows, etc., like the Mercedes.

Excellent car
By Wally

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

An excellent car, firm ride. You have the feeling of being in a safe car. Goes through snow with ease. Very good handling. I recommend this car to anyone who wants a safe car. Gas mileage is a bit off and the gas tank is relatively small for a car of this size.

Comfort and the controls are easy to read and reach. Seats are easy to fold and enter the third row.

Better gas mileage and a bigger tank.

Not reliable at all!
By Lorraine

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I love the ride but it has died in the middle of a busy intersection twice. It had to be towed back to the dealership and they replaced the fuel pump and we are waiting to see what they think it is this time. The driver's side beam has had to be replaced twice. The DVD system works intermittently. I thought Volvos were supposed to be dependable and safe. I have a 3 year old and I am going to have to get something else unfortunately.

First Year Follow-Up
By flyingman

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is a follow up to my first post in Aug 06 when car was new. Just turned 10k miles and one year. Absolutely nothing has gone wrong with the car. Got a recall notice about the gas tank door and they fixed this during a routine service at 7,500 miles, but never suffered the problem. Took one long trip with 5 persons and gear. It was tight but didn't want to put anything on the roof. Added a hitch (not from the dealer!) and a great bike rack from softride. We are still loving the car. Mileage is in the 17-18 in the city and 22-23 hwy.

Still looks and handles great. Plenty enough power for me. It is a classy looking car.

Center console could be a bit more useful, perhaps slightly larger.