Used 2006 Volvo XC90 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volvo Xc90 - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Battery died because of software glitch
By kawvt

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car 9 months ago and have had it die 3 times on me. The battery had died because of a software glitch (they think) as described in a technical bulletin Volvo Int. put out. Each time the vehicle has been in my garage and when I went to start it, nothing. I love this car but am so disappointed in the reliability. I also think for a beautiful SUV such as this is, and not a big mammoth SUV, it should get much better gas mileage. Our local dealership has been great but it has been extremely inconvenient to have our brand new Volvo die. I love the way it drives, handles, its comfort, but if I have another problem, I'm inclined to ask Volvo Int. to take the car back.

Favorite Features

Size, not too big, not too small, steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, battery that doesn't die on car with 7100 miles and only 9 mos. old!

Is it worth the money?
By Cindy

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I also own this vehicle because of its safety reputation. And of course my children's safety is priceless. However, I've also driven the Honda Pilot and with its amenities, reliability, and 3rd row airbags, can the volvo really be worth over $10K more? If I could do it over I would have bought a Honda Pilot.

Favorite Features

Safety, Third row, Sound system, gas mileage (for this size car), Comfort/leather quality, booster

Suggested Improvements

Lower Price! iPod connectivity, heated seats, better designed middle console, auto trunk open

XC90 T6 AWD vs. XC90 V8 AWD
By DENNIS

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased a 2003 XC90 T6 new. Traded it in for a XC90 V8 in 2006. Totally different vehicle. Engine powerful and quiet. No comparison with the T6. T6 noisy, rough running and a gas hog. V8 smooth as silk and much better MPG. Also, the T6 was a five passenger, the V8 a 7. The V8 rides much smoother because of the self leveling rear. All in all a world class vehicle with a top IIHS safety rating. You can spend a lot more money on an SUV and I don't think you can buy a much better vehicle. Dollar for dollar an excellent investment.

Favorite Features

Excellent visibility; powerful and responsive V8; smooth quiet ride; killer 6 disc 300+watts 12 speaker surround sound system; top IIHS safety rating.

Suggested Improvements

Side steps to reach roof racks. Full size spare tire. Sun visor extensions.

Ocean Race 2006
By Branko from Slovenia

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The last OCEAN RACE EDITION in Europe. Be happy with this car like I'm. Nice regards from Slovenia. Branko

Favorite Features

Turbo security on road when I push the pedal car gooooooooooooooooo

Suggested Improvements

If you look the car from behind you can see under the car some metal parts, some metal wire and this Volvo must cover like other car manuf.

volvo
By Lisa

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Great car for the family! I have had Mercedes, Navigator, multiple explorers... Great car- don't like the gas mileage even on the 5 cyl. and was really surprised at how poorly even with Traction Control the car was in the snow.

Favorite Features

comfy and safe

Suggested Improvements

better fuel mileage!