2006 Volvo XC90 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Very Happy with my XC90
By Holly on 01/31/10 15:44 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this car used in Nov of 2008 and have had it for almost a year and a half. I have not had one problem with this car. I am very pleased with the performance. The gas mileage could be better but i knew that going in. The interior does not have enough space for all my stuff but I manage. I really love driving this car and feel very safe in it.

Shines in bad weather
By Guillermo on 01/25/10 12:39 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

All around solid vehicle. It's an Ocean Race Edition, but with the 5-cylinder engine (that's how it was packaged in Canada). You only need a V8 if you plan on towing. Drive it in and around Calgary, which gets a wide range of weather conditions. The AWD is particularly impressive in the rain and snow (winter tires are necessary for half the year, of course). Other than routine scheduled maintenance, have only had a couple of fixes (head light and wheel bearing) which were covered under warranty.

Performs quite well
By Tony on 12/07/09 15:04 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought ours as a certified pre-owned vehicle and have had no problems what so ever since purchase. Overall the fit and finish of the XC90 is very good and reliability is excellent.The 2.5T is not a powerhouse of an engine, but on the highway and around town its adequate. It's a good,safe family car.

Not Exaggerating, Run Far, Run Fast
By Heather Mullins on 10/04/09 11:08 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This was a 40th birthday present..worst $$ ever spent. fuel pump went out first yr. stranded in the middle of nowhere literally..3 recalls, middle console makes noise, front end steering makes popping noise (took many trips to fix) grinding noise in reverse, many trips to figure this out, side window leaks, OEM tires terrible, brakes replaced every 25,000 miles, power steering pump went out, now the car is not wanting to go in reverse and the key mechanism has problems, fuel door latch broke ($350 to fix) we are now cutting our losses and trading it for a GMC SLT Yukon, only 58,000 miles on this money pit!! Spend your $42K elsewhere!!

It's OK
By Toddow on 07/29/09 07:53 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I've decided to write an objective review. I've had the opportunity to own numerous cars/truck/suv's in my lifetime. The XC-90 first of all is an outstanding ride. I drove it all the way from Arizona to Alabama and have driven it on short trips as well. It's a great "in-town" SUV and the saftey features make you feel very secure while driving it. The interior is sub-par, and most items feel flimsy. The center console "creaks" whenever you touch it and the dials are a little childish looking. But, with that the ride is awesome and the service (only every 7500 miles) lets you know you're driving a Volvo.

Perfect Family Car
By Alex on 02/17/09 09:57 AM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this Volvo one summer and have been loving it ever since. The car is very spacious and is very kid proof. If you have small children it is great because its got a built in booster seat and moves forward so the parts and reach the child easier. The XC90 5 Cylinder can be slow at times but when you step on it, it goes and handles very well. The rides very smooth and for the price comes with so many options. You can pay 10000 more for a BMW X5 with all the same features but not the same safety.

Solid as a rock
By Brady on 11/08/08 18:45 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We've had the XC90 since Dec. 05 and have only performed scheduled maintenance. Comfort, safety, and reliability have been excellent.

Nice vehicle with it's share of issues
By bluedak on 06/29/08 09:47 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my wife's vehicle, which she loves. I am less enthusiastic, as I wish it were more reliable. So far in less than 2 years of having the vehicle, there have been 5 recalls. We have had a dead battery requiring the vehicle to be towed (bad cell). We have had a rear wheel bearing go bad. Both of these occurred at under the 17k currently on it. Factory Pirelli Scorpion zero tires practically bald at less than 12k and replaced on my dime.

2006 Volvo XC90 AWD V8 4dr SUV (ocean)
By socaltess on 06/18/08 00:03 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 Volvo Ocean Race Edition 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Got this car for thousands off because I bought it in 2007 when it was a 2006 model, but it was new. Very happy with the looks outside and inside. After a 5 months I had some problems, some anti-skid message that kept coming up, they said it was a computer problem but it happened twice. Possibly due to extremely horrible speed bumps where I live the car began making weird clicks when the gas/brakes were pressed; brake pads, alignment, sub-frame, etc all needed work. Right window makes whistling noise. DVD system headphones sound fuzzy sometimes. Very fast for an SUV, and I always feel safe.

First and last Volvo
By kyle on 03/31/08 20:41 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Great car for the first couple of weeks. Then it would not accelerate. It took four trips to the dealer, and me having to drive the car for them. They had to change the fuel tank, and pump. Lots of noises and clunks, that they can't fix.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.