2006 Volvo XC90 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Excellent Used Car Value
By cjbluedevil06 on 12/15/13 21:02 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased my XC90 2.5T in March. It is the third Volvo that I have owned and is by far my favorite. I traded in my 2004 S60 to buy the XC90. Many people say that the 2.5T engine is underpowered, but I feel that its 208hp feels peppy and is perfectly matched to the transmission. The handling feels confident and the seats are very comfortable. As far as cargo spaces is concerned, I am pleased. Fuel economy is decent for a vehicle of its size. I average about 17 in town and 23-24 on the highway. The cabin is quiet and the interior is composed of high quality materials. My vehicle has the optional navigation system, which is nice, but inputing information can be an annoyance.

Not happy with my XC90's we have 2!!
By spottvmom on 05/16/11 14:34 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I've had this car for almost 6 years. It's had a few minor annoying problems that were mostly covered under the warrenty until it hit 80K The warrenty is now up and it's been a royal pain. I have an AWD 6 cyl. turbo that has 90,000 miles on it. This is my 2nd Volvo and we currently own 2 XC90's so we have double the pain.... Issues have been the anti skid sensor- $700 plus to fix, burns through tires in about 30k miles with easy, gentle driving. New issue is my wheel bearings are shot. My husband has a 2005 what we just spent about $3,000 on new tie rods, new bearings, new e-brake, new oil pump, leaking in oil system and after all that his check engine light is on again!

nice suv
By vince on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought this car Aug.2009 and 98,000kms but still good condition,I drove from calgary to winnipeg, and its fun to drive,it's only 2.5 cylynder but good in the highway,I love it...

not so sure about this car
By Cleen on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought this car used from the local Volvo dealer. With only 38,000kms on it & half the price of a new one it seemed like a no brainer. It also came with the entertainment package & third row seating. I want to love this car. I think it is the best looking SUV out there. It handles beautifully it's unassuming & overall a great family vehicle. But. I can't get over how loud the engine is, and how poorly it accelerates. Go up a slight incline it sounds like the transmission is slipping. Coming down a decline, it does the same thing and clunks into gear. It really bothers me. I keep thinking it has transmission problems. Also, at 2500 rpm it revs really loud! It's being traded in for an LR4.

2006 2.5T AWD XC90
By Andy on 07/28/10 13:36 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Great use of space. Either 7 people or lots of cargo space. I live in Colorado and the turbo provides excellent power for high altitude driving. Had some friends compare a Lexus rx with an xc90 on I-70 in the high winds (40-50 mph and gusty) that we sometimes have on the front range, and they said the xc90 was vastly superior. Don't know about the Lexus but my xc90 handles these winds like no other car I've ever driven.

Love it so far!
By Celeste on 05/27/10 19:42 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this car about 6 weeks ago & I really love it. It fits my kids' two car seats easily & will fit a third - all in the second row. I've read that it doesn't have that great of pick up when you accelerate, but I haven't found that to be the case at all. Drives great, love the sunroof, really love that the backseat has a/c vents for the kids! It is without a doubt the best car I've ever driven (have previously owned Chevys & an Acura).

Shines in bad weather
By Guillermo on 01/25/10 12:39 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

All around solid vehicle. It's an Ocean Race Edition, but with the 5-cylinder engine (that's how it was packaged in Canada). You only need a V8 if you plan on towing. Drive it in and around Calgary, which gets a wide range of weather conditions. The AWD is particularly impressive in the rain and snow (winter tires are necessary for half the year, of course). Other than routine scheduled maintenance, have only had a couple of fixes (head light and wheel bearing) which were covered under warranty.

Performs quite well
By Tony on 12/07/09 15:04 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought ours as a certified pre-owned vehicle and have had no problems what so ever since purchase. Overall the fit and finish of the XC90 is very good and reliability is excellent.The 2.5T is not a powerhouse of an engine, but on the highway and around town its adequate. It's a good,safe family car.

Not Exaggerating, Run Far, Run Fast
By Heather Mullins on 10/04/09 11:08 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This was a 40th birthday present..worst $$ ever spent. fuel pump went out first yr. stranded in the middle of nowhere literally..3 recalls, middle console makes noise, front end steering makes popping noise (took many trips to fix) grinding noise in reverse, many trips to figure this out, side window leaks, OEM tires terrible, brakes replaced every 25,000 miles, power steering pump went out, now the car is not wanting to go in reverse and the key mechanism has problems, fuel door latch broke ($350 to fix) we are now cutting our losses and trading it for a GMC SLT Yukon, only 58,000 miles on this money pit!! Spend your $42K elsewhere!!

It's OK
By Toddow on 07/29/09 07:53 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I've decided to write an objective review. I've had the opportunity to own numerous cars/truck/suv's in my lifetime. The XC-90 first of all is an outstanding ride. I drove it all the way from Arizona to Alabama and have driven it on short trips as well. It's a great "in-town" SUV and the saftey features make you feel very secure while driving it. The interior is sub-par, and most items feel flimsy. The center console "creaks" whenever you touch it and the dials are a little childish looking. But, with that the ride is awesome and the service (only every 7500 miles) lets you know you're driving a Volvo.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.