Used 2006 Volvo XC90 V8 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Volvo converted me to Audi
By Robert Stuart

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Over 1/2 the cars we've owned have been Volvo...This one will change that. This has had constant noise in the form of clunks, squeals and rattles. There is always an error light or message on and we've spent a small fortune on parts. I'm a certified ASE mechanic and do all my own work but this has been a challenge. New rack and pinion, new exhaust, new struts, new springs, new tie rod ends, new radiator, new pulleys and new tires every 15K. This thing cant keep tires or brakes! The gas mileage is great, the power wonderful but everything else failed. The stereo is substandard and no one will touch it for aftermarket because of Volvos proprietary computers. The mirror trim has fallen off, the light dimmer/turn signal indicator fell off, windows get stuck. In short, this has left my wife stranded more then any vehicle she's owned. Tried to talk with dealership about issues but they create even more...worst dealer we've ever worked with. Tried to talk with Volvo and they didn't care. You can get a lemon but when the dealer and the manufacture wont help and in fact, exasperate the situation, it tells you it's time to move on. We're shopping for two new vehicles and wouldn't consider owning another Volvo. At this time, Audi looks best and seems to have the best customer support.

DON'T buy a Volvo
By teddym

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

My XC-90 is horrible, front to back. Friends don’t let friends buy volvo’s. Treatment from the volvo dealerships in Houston is horrible, unless you are super rich, they will certainly hook you up, otherwise, bring your checkbook. You pay out the nose to own a volvo. My xc-90? 3 sets of wheel bearings burned out, the rear end went out, the fuel pump has already been replaced, the CURRENT check engine light issue will cost me $1,000, just put $1,500 into it to get the steering column to work again, the Houston dealership seriously jacked me over. you HAVE to take it to the dealership. They know they've got you by the throat. OBTW, my windshield leaks. Headlights fogged from inside. $500 each

nothing, the worst auto mistake I've ever made. I'll never buy volvo again and I'll do anything to keep anybody else from making the same mistake. $43,000 bought me a POS.

Volvo should buy back all xc-90's.

Would never ever recommend or purchase again!
By lassiterlisa

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased a used 2006 Volvo XC90 AWD V8 a year ago, had 77K miles on it, but was in excellent condition and we thought very safe for our family. We didn't know it had a transmission that COULD NOT be repaired ONLY REPLACED. The Volvo dealership informed us that this particular transmission was not repairable. Unfortunately our warranty company wouldn't ok the replacement so we had to transfer the car to a transmission repair facility to try and rebuild it. They were able to get all the parts needed but 1 and Volvo wouldn't sell the 1 part that would fix our car. SO we had to purchase a USED transmission for $5,700.00 (new would have been $7,500).

Booster seat in the back.

In love with my Volvo
By Volvoluvr

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We purchased my Volvo used in 2007 and it had 36,000 miles on it. We had recently had our second child and loved the safety features and quality of this car. (Not to mention it is beautiful) It came with a few flaws, poor fuel consumption and rear doors that don't open wide enough in the back to get kids/groceries misc in and out. Third row is a joke really, no room for normal sized adults. Ok for children but hard to get them in and out. Overall this vehicle made me happy for 3 years and we never had any repairs other than scheduled maintenance. Just traded it in on a minivan due to our THIRD child arriving, but still missing my Volvo. I'll have another one again someday.

Luxurious leather, moon roof, AWD, built in booster seat, smooth ride, beautiful interior and exterior. I loved just about everything about my Volvo.

Rear passenger doors need to be redesigned to open wider to accommodate children, car seats, etc. Better fuel consumption.

V8 loaded & love it!
By Ski

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

110k mi & still drives fantastic! Smooth, powerful, tight handling & fun to drive. Happy with whole drivetrain. Only problem so far was the "infotainment software bug," which was fixed with quick update @ dealer. DON'T get turbo model with "garbage" GM transmission. The V8's avg 1mpg gas penalty is worth every drop! '05+ Yamaha V8 model has better Aisan Warner 6-speed & nice AWD system. Did i mention the significant testicular fortitude?

YAMAHA 4.4 is small & smooth yet BEEFY!

• SUV