2006 Volvo XC90 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Excellent Used Car Value
By cjbluedevil06 on 12/15/13 21:02 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased my XC90 2.5T in March. It is the third Volvo that I have owned and is by far my favorite. I traded in my 2004 S60 to buy the XC90. Many people say that the 2.5T engine is underpowered, but I feel that its 208hp feels peppy and is perfectly matched to the transmission. The handling feels confident and the seats are very comfortable. As far as cargo spaces is concerned, I am pleased. Fuel economy is decent for a vehicle of its size. I average about 17 in town and 23-24 on the highway. The cabin is quiet and the interior is composed of high quality materials. My vehicle has the optional navigation system, which is nice, but inputing information can be an annoyance.

DON'T buy a Volvo
By teddym on 04/03/12 06:36 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

My XC-90 is horrible, front to back. Friends don’t let friends buy volvo’s. Treatment from the volvo dealerships in Houston is horrible, unless you are super rich, they will certainly hook you up, otherwise, bring your checkbook. You pay out the nose to own a volvo. My xc-90? 3 sets of wheel bearings burned out, the rear end went out, the fuel pump has already been replaced, the CURRENT check engine light issue will cost me $1,000, just put $1,500 into it to get the steering column to work again, the Houston dealership seriously jacked me over. you HAVE to take it to the dealership. They know they've got you by the throat. OBTW, my windshield leaks. Headlights fogged from inside. $500 each

Would never ever recommend or purchase again!
By lassiterlisa on 08/03/11 14:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased a used 2006 Volvo XC90 AWD V8 a year ago, had 77K miles on it, but was in excellent condition and we thought very safe for our family. We didn't know it had a transmission that COULD NOT be repaired ONLY REPLACED. The Volvo dealership informed us that this particular transmission was not repairable. Unfortunately our warranty company wouldn't ok the replacement so we had to transfer the car to a transmission repair facility to try and rebuild it. They were able to get all the parts needed but 1 and Volvo wouldn't sell the 1 part that would fix our car. SO we had to purchase a USED transmission for $5,700.00 (new would have been $7,500).

Not happy with my XC90's we have 2!!
By spottvmom on 05/16/11 14:34 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I've had this car for almost 6 years. It's had a few minor annoying problems that were mostly covered under the warrenty until it hit 80K The warrenty is now up and it's been a royal pain. I have an AWD 6 cyl. turbo that has 90,000 miles on it. This is my 2nd Volvo and we currently own 2 XC90's so we have double the pain.... Issues have been the anti skid sensor- $700 plus to fix, burns through tires in about 30k miles with easy, gentle driving. New issue is my wheel bearings are shot. My husband has a 2005 what we just spent about $3,000 on new tie rods, new bearings, new e-brake, new oil pump, leaking in oil system and after all that his check engine light is on again!

nice suv
By vince on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought this car Aug.2009 and 98,000kms but still good condition,I drove from calgary to winnipeg, and its fun to drive,it's only 2.5 cylynder but good in the highway,I love it...

not so sure about this car
By Cleen on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought this car used from the local Volvo dealer. With only 38,000kms on it & half the price of a new one it seemed like a no brainer. It also came with the entertainment package & third row seating. I want to love this car. I think it is the best looking SUV out there. It handles beautifully it's unassuming & overall a great family vehicle. But. I can't get over how loud the engine is, and how poorly it accelerates. Go up a slight incline it sounds like the transmission is slipping. Coming down a decline, it does the same thing and clunks into gear. It really bothers me. I keep thinking it has transmission problems. Also, at 2500 rpm it revs really loud! It's being traded in for an LR4.

In love with my Volvo
By Volvoluvr on 08/25/10 11:44 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We purchased my Volvo used in 2007 and it had 36,000 miles on it. We had recently had our second child and loved the safety features and quality of this car. (Not to mention it is beautiful) It came with a few flaws, poor fuel consumption and rear doors that don't open wide enough in the back to get kids/groceries misc in and out. Third row is a joke really, no room for normal sized adults. Ok for children but hard to get them in and out. Overall this vehicle made me happy for 3 years and we never had any repairs other than scheduled maintenance. Just traded it in on a minivan due to our THIRD child arriving, but still missing my Volvo. I'll have another one again someday.

2006 2.5T AWD XC90
By Andy on 07/28/10 13:36 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Great use of space. Either 7 people or lots of cargo space. I live in Colorado and the turbo provides excellent power for high altitude driving. Had some friends compare a Lexus rx with an xc90 on I-70 in the high winds (40-50 mph and gusty) that we sometimes have on the front range, and they said the xc90 was vastly superior. Don't know about the Lexus but my xc90 handles these winds like no other car I've ever driven.

V8 loaded & love it!
By Ski on 07/07/10 16:47 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

110k mi & still drives fantastic! Smooth, powerful, tight handling & fun to drive. Happy with whole drivetrain. Only problem so far was the "infotainment software bug," which was fixed with quick update @ dealer. DON'T get turbo model with "garbage" GM transmission. The V8's avg 1mpg gas penalty is worth every drop! '05+ Yamaha V8 model has better Aisan Warner 6-speed & nice AWD system. Did i mention the significant testicular fortitude?

Love it so far!
By Celeste on 05/27/10 19:42 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this car about 6 weeks ago & I really love it. It fits my kids' two car seats easily & will fit a third - all in the second row. I've read that it doesn't have that great of pick up when you accelerate, but I haven't found that to be the case at all. Drives great, love the sunroof, really love that the backseat has a/c vents for the kids! It is without a doubt the best car I've ever driven (have previously owned Chevys & an Acura).

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.