Used 2006 Volvo XC90 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Excellent Used Car Value
By cjbluedevil06

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased my XC90 2.5T in March. It is the third Volvo that I have owned and is by far my favorite. I traded in my 2004 S60 to buy the XC90. Many people say that the 2.5T engine is underpowered, but I feel that its 208hp feels peppy and is perfectly matched to the transmission. The handling feels confident and the seats are very comfortable. As far as cargo spaces is concerned, I am pleased. Fuel economy is decent for a vehicle of its size. I average about 17 in town and 23-24 on the highway. The cabin is quiet and the interior is composed of high quality materials. My vehicle has the optional navigation system, which is nice, but inputing information can be an annoyance.

Favorite Features

The spacious interior, 2.5T 5 Cylinder engine, cargo space, grocery bag holder, sunroof, and under-floor storage (since I do not have the optional third row).

Suggested Improvements

After owning the three Volvos, I have learned a thing or two about reliability. In buying a used XC90, I knew to not go with the 2003-2005 T6 models with the 6 cylinder engine. The GM transmissions that were used in those were terribly weak. Owners were lucky to get 80K miles out of the transmission before experiencing issues. 5 cylinder engines use an Aisin-Warner transmission, which is extremely reliable. In 2007, Volvo introduced the inline 6 cylinder (3.2) engine. These are also mated to a very reliable transmission. My only chief complaint with the XC90 is some of the rattling plastics. The car has an good interior, but the plastics can sometimes have annoying rattles.

DON'T buy a Volvo
By teddym

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

My XC-90 is horrible, front to back. Friends don’t let friends buy volvo’s. Treatment from the volvo dealerships in Houston is horrible, unless you are super rich, they will certainly hook you up, otherwise, bring your checkbook. You pay out the nose to own a volvo. My xc-90? 3 sets of wheel bearings burned out, the rear end went out, the fuel pump has already been replaced, the CURRENT check engine light issue will cost me $1,000, just put $1,500 into it to get the steering column to work again, the Houston dealership seriously jacked me over. you HAVE to take it to the dealership. They know they've got you by the throat. OBTW, my windshield leaks. Headlights fogged from inside. $500 each

Favorite Features

nothing, the worst auto mistake I've ever made. I'll never buy volvo again and I'll do anything to keep anybody else from making the same mistake. $43,000 bought me a POS.

Suggested Improvements

Volvo should buy back all xc-90's.

Would never ever recommend or purchase again!
By lassiterlisa

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased a used 2006 Volvo XC90 AWD V8 a year ago, had 77K miles on it, but was in excellent condition and we thought very safe for our family. We didn't know it had a transmission that COULD NOT be repaired ONLY REPLACED. The Volvo dealership informed us that this particular transmission was not repairable. Unfortunately our warranty company wouldn't ok the replacement so we had to transfer the car to a transmission repair facility to try and rebuild it. They were able to get all the parts needed but 1 and Volvo wouldn't sell the 1 part that would fix our car. SO we had to purchase a USED transmission for $5,700.00 (new would have been $7,500).

Favorite Features

Booster seat in the back.

Not happy with my XC90's we have 2!!
By spottvmom

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I've had this car for almost 6 years. It's had a few minor annoying problems that were mostly covered under the warrenty until it hit 80K The warrenty is now up and it's been a royal pain. I have an AWD 6 cyl. turbo that has 90,000 miles on it. This is my 2nd Volvo and we currently own 2 XC90's so we have double the pain.... Issues have been the anti skid sensor- $700 plus to fix, burns through tires in about 30k miles with easy, gentle driving. New issue is my wheel bearings are shot. My husband has a 2005 what we just spent about $3,000 on new tie rods, new bearings, new e-brake, new oil pump, leaking in oil system and after all that his check engine light is on again!

Favorite Features

It's been great to drive but it's so expensive to fix. We have taken really good care of this car. It's been to Volvo for all sch. service. I'm starting to feel like both cars have turned into money pits. My husband's Ford Sport trac had so many less issues at 9 years old and 100,000+ than our 2 XC 90's. It's a solid car and we feel very safe but it's getting to expensive to keep fixing it every 2 months! I'm about to trade them both in and go back to driving Ford's! At least my Ford's didn't keep breaking every few months. This seems excessive for the young age/miles on our cars- 88k and 90K for 2005 and 2006 AWD XC 90's. Next worry is the Transmission-I'm told those go 70-95K

Suggested Improvements

I liked the car while it was under warrenty. It's very expensive to fix. A longer warrenty that covers more standard service like BMW. It would be better if it was not so hard on tires. 3rd row could be have more leg room. Easier cupholders for kids to reach in back seat.

nice suv
By vince

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought this car Aug.2009 and 98,000kms but still good condition,I drove from calgary to winnipeg, and its fun to drive,it's only 2.5 cylynder but good in the highway,I love it...

Favorite Features

Wood steering,DVD,7 seater