Used 2006 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews - 99 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Owned for 4 years - love it
By JimmB

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this vehicle at least 4 years ago. Love it. We'd get another one. I didn't rate it for maintenance cost as we really haven't ever had major maintenance issues beyond changing oil etc (we are just at 70K miles). At this point, we'd buy an updated version when this one wears out. The 2.5L Turbo engine has plenty of power for us.

xc90 work car
By Richard Fryman

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought it mostly for work and trips to Florida. So far a great car, plenty of get up and go. The spacious interior anddriver conforts were just what I was llooking for.

great used car value
By pete

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought a '06 in 2013 and drove it 2 years before rear ending someone. The car fell apart as it should have but kept us all safe. It was a great road trip car being very comfortable and managed to hold camping gear for a family of four. Be ready to find an independent mechanic to fix some moderate to expensive repairs but this is a great car.

Volvo converted me to BMW
By Robert Stuart

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Over 1/2 the cars we've owned have been Volvo...This one will change that. This has had constant noise in the form of clunks, squeals and rattles. There is always an error light or message on and we've spent a small fortune on parts. I'm a certified ASE mechanic and do all my own work but this has been a challenge. New rack and pinion, new exhaust, new struts, new springs, new tie rod ends, new radiator, new pulleys and new tires every 15K. This thing cant keep tires or brakes!

The gas mileage is great, the power wonderful but everything else failed. The stereo is substandard and no one will touch it for aftermarket because of Volvos proprietary computers. The mirror trim has fallen off, the light dimmer/turn signal indicator fell off, windows get stuck. In short, this has left my wife stranded more then any vehicle she's owned.

Tried to talk with dealership about issues but they create even more...worst dealer we've ever worked with. Tried to talk with Volvo and they didn't care. You can get a lemon but when the dealer and the manufacture wont help and in fact, exasperate the situation, it tells you it's time to move on. We're shopping for two new vehicles and wouldn't consider owning another Volvo.

We actually bought a 2012 BMW X3. It's the best vehicle I've ever owned. Customer support is off the charts compared to Volvo and the vehicle arnt even in the same league! I'm angry at myself for waiting so long to get rid of Volvo...you really can enjoy your SUV

Excellent Used Car Value
By cjbluedevil06

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased my XC90 2.5T in March. It is the third Volvo that I have owned and is by far my favorite. I traded in my 2004 S60 to buy the XC90. Many people say that the 2.5T engine is underpowered, but I feel that its 208hp feels peppy and is perfectly matched to the transmission. The handling feels confident and the seats are very comfortable. As far as cargo spaces is concerned, I am pleased.
Fuel economy is decent for a vehicle of its size. I average about 17 in town and 23-24 on the highway. The cabin is quiet and the interior is composed of high quality materials. My vehicle has the optional navigation system, which is nice, but inputing information can be an annoyance.

The spacious interior, 2.5T 5 Cylinder engine, cargo space, grocery bag holder, sunroof, and under-floor storage (since I do not have the optional third row).

After owning the three Volvos, I have learned a thing or two about reliability. In buying a used XC90, I knew to not go with the 2003-2005 T6 models with the 6 cylinder engine. The GM transmissions that were used in those were terribly weak. Owners were lucky to get 80K miles out of the transmission before experiencing issues. 5 cylinder engines use an Aisin-Warner transmission, which is extremely reliable. In 2007, Volvo introduced the inline 6 cylinder (3.2) engine. These are also mated to a very reliable transmission. My only chief complaint with the XC90 is some of the rattling plastics. The car has an good interior, but the plastics can sometimes have annoying rattles.