2005 Volvo XC90 Consumer Review: I Love It - But I'm Nervous

2005 Volvo XC90 - Consumer Review

2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic)

I Love It - But I'm Nervous
By MichelleF on

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I've had my T5 for 2 1/2 years and have had no major issues. However, dealer just told me all 4 tires need replacing, and I am only at 27K miles. Also, a co-worker had one from same year as mine, and he warned me that he started having lots of expensive problems with it after 30K miles, so I am a bit nervous. I think the new V8s probably get the same gas mileage as my Turbo 5 cyl, so would recommend people just get the V8. Don't get the T6 though - the transmission is very sluggish in low gears, and I prefer the faster pick-up of my T5, though you will hear the engine hum a bit when you accelerate hard and fast.

Favorite Features

I love the third row seat (tho never use it) and the flip-up cargo area holder (so much easier to use than a cargo net!). It's also really comforable, gives me a good view of the road (minor blind spot over driver's left shoulder) and I absolutely love the exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Would have liked an iPod hook-up in the 2007 (now available in newer models). Gas mileage is better than expected highway, but worse than expected city (14-16 mpg) due to stops/starts. I feel guilty about the poor gas mileage, but still haven't seen a car I like better.