Happy because I bought the model with the good engine!
By rootleaf on
2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)
We purchased this car a little over one year ago. I never thought we would be a Volvo family but now we are. I was looking to get my wife out of the mini van rutt we had been in since our first child. Now the kids are getting bigger and a van is not so necessary. I bought this car for her as a surprise. I paid 12k for it in Dec. 2011 and it had 100k miles on it then. The timing belt had not been done yet so I had that replaced immediately by our mechanic as well as the water pump and other belts for 500 dollars. Since Dec. 2011 we have not spent one more dollar in maintenance other than oil changes. This car drives great. Read the reviews and be sure you buy the 2.5 turbo engine!
Favorite Features
Turbo boost, not bad on gas. Easy on the wallet so far, has not been one issue since we purchased it. This is due to it being the 2.5l 5 cylinder model. The T6 and v8 have nothing but troubles so steer clear and get the 2.5T and your buying a bullet proof volvo motor. Luxurious appointed interior that is very comfortable on long drives up and down the east coast. Really feels like it grasps the road. Feeling of complete safety in handling. Nice leather and wood trim. Paint job holding up well. No mechanical issues. Can handle driving a family of 5 from NC to FL then back with luggage comfortably. Great move up from a mini van!
Suggested Improvements
We have had it one year and added about 15k miles to it. The tires were brand new when we bought it, and we already are buying a new set today. Of course this is AWD so it was expected to wear down tires faster. This could also be attributed to the previous owner put the cheapest Kumho tires on the market on it before selling so the treadwear life expectancy wasnt much for the cheap tires. Just put a set of Cooper CS4 on it today so they should last a lot longer this go round.