2005 Volvo XC90 Consumer Review: Good, Safe SUV

2005 Volvo XC90 - Consumer Review

V8 4dr SUV (4.4L V8 AWD 6-speed Automatic)

Good, Safe SUV
By Gary on

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have driven this car every day for the last 4.5 years and through 80k miles it has been a reliable and decent car. I can't say I love it, but I don't dislike it either. Compared to our BMW X5, it is capable and OK to drive, but not a performance vehicle by any measure. It is very comfortable for long road trips for a family of 4. It tows our 3000 lb boat with ease. V8 seems to go when you stomp on it. Cruises nicely at highway speeds 70-80 mph. We have not had any reliability issues other than normal maintenance - tires at 45k, brakes at 60k. All and all, it has been a pretty good car.

Handling is excellent in rain and snow - better than the X5 (probably because of the longer wheelbase and it's slightly heavier). Child booster seat pops up in rear - very handy when hauling extra kids.

DVD controls for the driver - If you need to do anything with the DVD system (while your toddlers are screaming), you have to pull over and get in the back seat - incredibly annoying.