2005 Volvo XC90 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Best all-around SUV
By RBirns on 05/04/06 11:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Coming up on 3 years of ownership, so I guess this review is overdue. This is probably the best all-around luxury SUV available. Styling is just right-- not too big and boxy (Lexus GX), not too minivan-like (Acura MDX), not too feminine (Lexus RX), not to mail-truck (Mercedes ML). Looks very similar to BMW X5, which is a compliment. Ride is not as plush as a true luxury car, but better than most SUVs. Handling is very good. Acceleration with the 2.5T is ok at the low end, but highway passing needs more punch. Quality materials in and out. Only repairs were loose tie rod end (probably pothole) and dead rear wiper motor, both fixed under warranty. Mostly city driving getting 14-15 mpg.

Transmission Failed
By P.B. on 04/27/06 09:07 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I currently have 84,000 (all highway) on my XC 90 and the transmission has to be replaced. I will never buy another Volvo again for lack of customer service and reliability.

Love it!
By Debra on 04/22/06 07:57 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is a fantastic vehicle. The cargo room of an SUV and the performance of a sport sedan. Solid, heavy, and safe. A blast to drive. Acceleration at highway speeds is pretty impressive. Looks great, too.

Worst Car Ever
By discostu on 04/20/06 22:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

So far this is the most expensive, and most unreliable car I've ever owned. It has been TOWED 4 times in 18 months because it just shut off. We bought the car for percieved reliability and safety and have gotten none of the above. The car looks great and is fun to drive, but a car that breaks down all the time defeats the purpose.

Got what I paid for, Volvo XC90
By Jose Cuartero on 04/13/06 18:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Best SUV out there. It is very good looking, reliable and comfortable. It does consume more gas than I would like to, but all of them do anyway.

Volvo XC90
By David on 03/16/06 16:51 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

So far a great SUV. I just logged 27,600 miles and no problems.

My XC90 V-8
By guy on 03/14/06 19:17 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

v8 has great performance. super acceleration. 21 mpg hwy. small fuel tank limits driving range. Minor but irritating electronic glitches that dealer can't duplicate or repair. Why no compass? Brake and accelerator pedals too close together.

my 05 xc 90 V8
By cdoc on 02/11/06 22:16 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I love the thing, but in the hills where I live, I am getting 13.5mpg. Too much gas in these days of high price and world concerns. Sounds hokey, but we gotta live in this world a long time and 13.5 is just unacceptable...

A very good expierence with our Volvo
By Rick A on 02/05/06 14:02 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

We simply would unequivocally recomend a Volvo XC 90. Safe reliable and fun to drive. It is also a very capable 4 wheel drive.

Fun to drive! Reliable?
By PJM on 01/30/06 00:40 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Enjoy the comfort, handling and many features. Very disappointed with fuel economy, tire life, radio (why do we have to press Enter when it picks up a dgital station) and other problems (a/c damper motors replaced, computer module which controls head beams and tail lights - at $400/ea plus labor, I hope the other 3 last longer). Cargo space is fine.