Used 2005 Volvo XC90 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

would not buy another
By j

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We are on the 5th set of tires (not cheap ones either)and Volvo refuses to believe some problem. They supposedly lined it up and even put the first set on at less than 8k miles free. The tires wear on the inside every time. The plastic casing the seats in front sit on have broken. One time they replaced free then I had to pay $95.00 second time and now passenger side broken. They told me they put a better plastic on now when they did the driver seat for second time. I love the look of the car but too much trouble and would not buy another.

looks and just like idea of driving Volvo. Love the heated seats and may not always drive Volvo but will always have SUV with heated seats

The new plastic seat bases are working fine for driver side but passenger side now broken. Fix the ones free for those having problems(I am not only one as dealer told me- one is on this review board). Find out why my tires keep wearing on inside while outside is still good.

My first Volvo
By Oceancruiser

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

i bought it with 29k miles on it..this car on the highway is awesome with lots of power because of the twin turbo engine..in the city feel very comfortable and quick enough to move in traffic.

exterior looks, premium leather seats

better gas mileage

Love Volvo, don't love XC90
By Volvoowner4life

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought my 2005 XC90 new in November 2004. Overall, I am happy with it, but also frustrated w/the number of the same problems over and over. Love 3rd row seats & integrated child booster. Hate that I have had to replace my tires 2x in the past 4.5 yrs. I have had continuing issues with the ball joints and tie rods that actually caused me to fail inspection. They have been replaced at least 2x & I am hearing the same noises again. There is not a ton of power or pick up with this vehicle. Also, I have had several fuses blow for the power outlets even though nothing is plugged into the very often. I would like to try the XC70 or the XC60 to see if I have better luck.

3rd row, integrated child booster, safety features in general, AWD

Fix the issue that causes the tires to be worn very quickly.

Solid, Safe, and Practical SUV
By Bill

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought a new 2.5T AWD four years ago and have been very satisfied with our purchase. We didn't need the 3rd row seating and since they add considerable weight and reduce 2nd row leg space, we had our dealer search for a 5 passenger model for us. I'm glad we did, because the 2.5T engine is just adequate, given the vehicle weight. We have averaged exactly in the 17-22 EPA mileage range - not bad for such a spacious SUV. The XC90 has attractive, timeless styling, is appointed excellently on the interior and has a smooth, secure, stable ride. The 2.5T won't win any drag races, but is fine for our every day normal driving. The XC90 corners pretty well for an SUV too.

We like it's understated luxury look and feel both inside and out. We were also impressed that it was one of the 1st SUV's with electronic stability control and side curtain head protection standard. You can't beat a Volvo for safety.

About a year ago with 53,000 miles on it, we started hearing a "whirring" noise. We were surprised that BOTH rear wheel bearings needed replacement. We've experienced on other problems. I've heard some owners say they got poor mileage from the stock tires, but we got 54,000 miles from our set!

so far so good
By brirags

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I just picked up an 05 T6 with 40k miles from auction. The car is nearly flawless and appears to run beautifully. I found out I'm the 2nd owner, and the car has been meticulously maintained by a local Volvo dealer. My concern is that it's had 2 transmissions replaced, the latest 18 months ago along with the radiator. Not sure if I need to purchase a warantee. Dealers told me the problem is most likely cured, but if anyone has a comment, I'm all ears as I'm a bit concerned.

Smooth & sturdy drive & great excelleration.

Gas mileage