2005 Volvo XC90 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
I Love It!
By Judy on 10/14/06 15:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I took overseas delivery of my XC90-T6 & was delighted w/every aspect of that experience! I had a major mechanical problem w/in the first two weeks of delivery. Volvo corrected the defect ASAP and it has been a pleasure to drive since that time. I feel safe when I'm driving it and my grandchildren race for the built-in booster seat. I would not hesitate to purchase another Volvo - the factory tour in which I saw the huge roll of steel at the beginning of the tour and followed it through the factory to a finished car was very impressive and reassuring to my safety- conscious self!

A Great SUV
By Kerry on 10/14/06 12:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have now owned my XC90 for 2 years and still think this is a great vehicle. The ride, handling and passenger comforts are very well done. I get frustrated hearing reviews about "poor fuel economy" and "underpowered". This vehicle has plenty of pickup when needed and my fuel economy has met the expected EPA on the window sticker, so it should be no shock that it doesn't get 30 mpg. I have also found the reliability better than Consumer Reports states. Much better rear cargo room than many of its competitors; easily accommodates a large dog kennel behind the 2nd row seats, something many cannot do. Still feels, smells and drives like a new vehicle. Enjoying it!

Best Volvo ever!
By howard on 10/14/06 09:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Qwned Volvo since 1990 ... great car, beats BMW hands down ... drives very smooth, controls are very simple, handles well. Very comfortable and very safe. The bluetooth phone option is a must for true hands free driving. Put some Nokean snows on it and it goes anywhere. Kids love the dual screen DVD in the headrests. Safe, simple comfortable. The T6 Turbo engine is great! And yes, don't expect great gas mileage ... it is a very heavy car with dual turbos! If you want great gas mileage, buy a small car. Also only car with true anti-roll technology that includes a gyroscope.

Bad XC90 experience, bought Toyota
By Mark on 09/28/06 00:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

The Volvo dealer would not even buy our fully loaded 2005 XC90 T6, that is what a piece of junk the XC90s are and Volvo knows it! We have 6 cars including Ferraris and Hondas. Volvo buyer beware, the only thing good about the XC90 is the ride quality. However ride quality does not matter when the driveshaft fails(twice), the shock strut fails(twice), tires wore out(20k miles), and the left axel seal failed, stranding us on the freeway. Not to mention little things like the defroster failed and the seat heaters mysteriously turn on. Then there are the interior ergonometric issues - try taking a family to McDonalds, there is no place to put stuff. We sold it and bought a Toyota Sequoia

The Mechanics Love this Car!
By Duff on 09/25/06 17:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Second Volvo I owned, probably my last. I have replaced the tires 2x with only 25K+ miles on odometer, replaced air conditioner 3x, radio in for repair 2x, seal on my driver side door 4x, and a few misc interior finish pieces had to be replaced. Not to mention every time I take it in for service, something is being replaced for recall. I had a 240DL brick which I put 256,000 miles on, never had a problem with the car other than routine stuff. I am not happy with this vehicle, drives like a bus, has major quality issues, and trying to operate the radio while driving is a joke.

Nothing but problems
By volvoalabama on 09/24/06 16:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I've had nothing but problems with my 2005 XC90, and they are still ongoing. The main issue is a continuous start problem, but the front door locks have broken, the door pull has come loose, the carpeting has come loose, the CD changer is broken, the DVD player raises and lowers unexpectedly while driving. The dealer can't figure out the start problem. I have to pay for rental cars, lose time from work, and experience the general frustration of not being able to depend on a car. I won't buy another Volvo.

We love our XC 90
By petermw on 09/01/06 08:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We received our XC 90 in Sweden and drove it 3200 miles in Europe and had it shipped to our Oregon home from London. Our family of 7 enjoyed all the comforts of the car as we drove along the highways. In spite of the high fuel costs in Europe and now in the US, we feel that it is an economical car to drive. It is easy to drive, we love the warning system when we are parking and have the car in reverse. Our local dealer is a pleasure to work with, as well.

2 Years W/ My XC90 2.5T AWD
By Frank on 08/23/06 09:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I am just completing my 2nd year of ownership with my XC90. As others have mentioned it has spent some time in the shop and seems to be recalled every 6 months or so. The XC90 is a very safe SUV and has a vault like feel to it very similar to Mercedes Benz. My biggest issues are all the little things that go wrong with it. I am now replacing the chrome window trim on the driver’s side for the 3rd time. The design of this is so poor, it’s held to the window frame only with double stick tape. There is also a removable armrest/storage compartment that is starting to fall apart and Volvo is refusing to replace or repair it. A great service department is key to owning this vehicle.

Best Car Ever
By Gabriela on 08/04/06 14:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Great pick up when you need it. Stops on a dime. Very ergonomic,everything is within easy reach on the dash. Safe, and a beautiful design.

Volvo T-6 Rocks!
By Neil on 06/06/06 11:48 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I purchased the 2005 XC-90 for my wife's birthday. Have been very pleased with Volvo Customer Service and local dealerships for warranty maintenance and questions. Gas mileage is best on the highway, but our Volvo is very reliable and dependable, despite fuel consumption. By far the safest SUV I have found for my most important passengers - my wife and daughter.