Used 2005 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews - 208 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo XC90

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

My Volvo did not last
By Kevin

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I am someone who wanted to be a Volvo owner for life . I had always heard how dependable Volvo's are . Well my XC90 was anything but . At 59000 miles I needed a new transmission . And the Volvo dealer was not helpful with anything . I am just getting ready to turn 110000 miles and I need another transmission . Also I had to put in a new drive train at 90000 miles. Along with a new front axle at 64000. Granted I do drive alot of miles in a year. But I purchased a Volvo so I could have a safe reliable car . And my Volvo cost me way to much in repairs and way to much on rental car bills . After my experience with the Volvo XC90 I would recommend it.

would not buy another
By j

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We are on the 5th set of tires (not cheap ones either)and Volvo refuses to believe some problem. They supposedly lined it up and even put the first set on at less than 8k miles free. The tires wear on the inside every time. The plastic casing the seats in front sit on have broken. One time they replaced free then I had to pay $95.00 second time and now passenger side broken. They told me they put a better plastic on now when they did the driver seat for second time. I love the look of the car but too much trouble and would not buy another.

looks and just like idea of driving Volvo. Love the heated seats and may not always drive Volvo but will always have SUV with heated seats

The new plastic seat bases are working fine for driver side but passenger side now broken. Fix the ones free for those having problems(I am not only one as dealer told me- one is on this review board). Find out why my tires keep wearing on inside while outside is still good.

My first Volvo
By Oceancruiser

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

i bought it with 29k miles on it..this car on the highway is awesome with lots of power because of the twin turbo engine..in the city feel very comfortable and quick enough to move in traffic.

exterior looks, premium leather seats

better gas mileage

Love Volvo, don't love XC90
By Volvoowner4life

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought my 2005 XC90 new in November 2004. Overall, I am happy with it, but also frustrated w/the number of the same problems over and over. Love 3rd row seats & integrated child booster. Hate that I have had to replace my tires 2x in the past 4.5 yrs. I have had continuing issues with the ball joints and tie rods that actually caused me to fail inspection. They have been replaced at least 2x & I am hearing the same noises again. There is not a ton of power or pick up with this vehicle. Also, I have had several fuses blow for the power outlets even though nothing is plugged into the very often. I would like to try the XC70 or the XC60 to see if I have better luck.

3rd row, integrated child booster, safety features in general, AWD

Fix the issue that causes the tires to be worn very quickly.

Solid, Safe, and Practical SUV
By Bill

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought a new 2.5T AWD four years ago and have been very satisfied with our purchase. We didn't need the 3rd row seating and since they add considerable weight and reduce 2nd row leg space, we had our dealer search for a 5 passenger model for us. I'm glad we did, because the 2.5T engine is just adequate, given the vehicle weight. We have averaged exactly in the 17-22 EPA mileage range - not bad for such a spacious SUV. The XC90 has attractive, timeless styling, is appointed excellently on the interior and has a smooth, secure, stable ride. The 2.5T won't win any drag races, but is fine for our every day normal driving. The XC90 corners pretty well for an SUV too.

We like it's understated luxury look and feel both inside and out. We were also impressed that it was one of the 1st SUV's with electronic stability control and side curtain head protection standard. You can't beat a Volvo for safety.

About a year ago with 53,000 miles on it, we started hearing a "whirring" noise. We were surprised that BOTH rear wheel bearings needed replacement. We've experienced on other problems. I've heard some owners say they got poor mileage from the stock tires, but we got 54,000 miles from our set!