2005 Volvo XC90 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Mechanical Problems
By Steve on 03/31/07 19:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I purchased the Volvo for its safety and value. During the 27 months I have owned it, there have been at least 10 recalls, the brake pads had to be replaced at 20,000 miles (and I had to pay for them even though I leased it with all maintenance included) AND the transmission was replaced at 37,000 miles. I can't wait until my lease is up!

Listen to Drivers, not Consumer gurus
By John from KY on 02/27/07 18:05 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought new in 9/04. Have 41000+ miles. 2.5T w/AWD way to go. 5 speed trans and 2.5 has plenty of power and is smooth in the city. Turbo jumps in and performs well. Mileage 19.1 over last 10,000 city and hwy. Looked and drove a myriad of other new mid-size SUVs. This vehicle is extremely easy to handle, gets excellent mileage for its weight,and all safety features offers peace of mind. (AWD, Xenon, Back Up warning) Very comfortable, and 7500 mile service interval a big plus. Brakes only 30% wear, tires (Michelin) good for 25,000 more. No ones going to pry this one out of my hands until it has 200,000 on it. Then it's off for another Volvo. Dealer service absolutely impeccable.

Best Car We've Ever Had
By shieatt on 02/22/07 10:53 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

We found a sweet deal on our used XC90 - 2 years old, only 6500 miles! Car has every option. My wife and I agree that it is the best car we have ever had (and we've had some nice cars). I was nervous about the T6 model, having read that it is slightly underpowered with a poor transmission - but happy to report that the car has plenty of power and shifts smoothly. The AWD system is fantastic - used it to climb an unpaved, snowy/icy grade with no wheel spin - amazing. Great ride and handling. Interior ergonomics very well thought out.

Best Driving Vehicle Ever Owned
By Best Driving Vehicle on 02/04/07 23:14 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This vehicle was bought used with about 15,000 miles as an early lease return. We have loved the way this SUV drives and it is a true pleasure. This vehicle is the best, smoothest driving vehicle I have ever owned. With about 26 cars, trucks and SUV's owned, that says alot. Performance has been satisfactory with the stock turbo 5- cyl. and have no complaints. Quality of some of the interior has been disappointing however and considering the price when new, is not equal. Body is solid, no problems. Sound system is great! All in all, we are very happy to have bought this SUV, our first Volvo.

6 time Volvo owner
By Bob on 01/22/07 09:34 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Exceptionally comfortable; easy to get in and out of even for people who are shorter; mechanically and cosmetically great; a real solid feel combined with great handling; does not ride or drive like a truck; eye- catching design; have had virtually no problems; combined city-highway mileage averages 19-21 mpg. Luv it!

Great Car
By slj on 01/11/07 18:59 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Debated on whether on not to buy one since JD Power and Consumer Reports didn't like them. After driving Land Rover, BMW, Acura, Infiniti and all the other SUVs, we didn't find one that we liked as much as the Volvo. Bought it and are so glad we did. Rides nice, quiet and smooth. Volvo has been great to deal with, we have had no problems with it. all the complaints that others mention in the review we haven't seen. Is great to drive around town or on a long road trip. The kids in the back are comfortable and happy and we up front are as well. No regrets at all buying it and am very glad that I did despite the not-so-good reviews from the above mentioned organizations.

Excellent
By arek on 12/04/06 19:04 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

great driving on first row. Second row center seat is not comfortable, design only for kids seat. Location cruse control button on steering wheel is very bad.

A Most Excellent Vehicle!
By scooter on 10/30/06 19:12 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is a fabulous vehicle for my needs, both mountain and city driving in all weather conditions. It is excellent on the highway, comfortable, easy and satisfying to drive. It has a voluminous cargo capacity and with an aftermarket rack system, all things bikes and skis are on top, safely transported. My mileage is better than sticker, 25 highway on about 18 around town. With snow tires it is a go anywhere winter vehicle. The 6CD sound system is excellent. There has been one factory recall for the front tie rod ends. I have not had any mechanical or other issues with this vehicle. It is the 5th Volvo in our extended family, and my third one. For me, this car is a keeper!

Excellent Vehicle
By David K on 10/24/06 07:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I consider this vehicle to be the best I've owned. It's classy, comfortable, reliable and economical. On a recent trip, I got 24 MPG on the highway. Typical MPG around town is 19-20. How many other non-hybrid SUVs can do that? I have the 2.5T and though I was concerned a 5 cylinder SUV might be underpowered, I can report positively that it is not. My 18 year old son drives a Jeep Cherokee and he says the acceleration in my vehicle "scares him."

Excellent Vehicle
By johng on 10/14/06 19:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This vehicle is our 5th Volvo. When we saw it on the showroom floor, after reading about it, we bought it. The safety,quality,performance and ride of a Volvo keep us coming back to it, even when we consider other similar vehicles on the market. The cargo space in this vehicle is excellent. Need I say more?