2005 Volvo XC90 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
T5has been great so far
By TClarke on 04/28/08 19:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Our three month old 2005 S80 was destroyed in a multi-car accident,with us taking five seperate impacts! 2 guardrails, 3 other vehicles. Confirmed to us the Boron steel safety etc. Replaced it with a new 05 XC90, 5 turbo. The vehicle has been great so far. 61,000 miles, and just replaced the Michelin tires. Right rear wheel bearing went out at the same time. Struts are about ready to go. I drive it hard daily @ 20,000 miles year. Fuel usage has been good for this type of SUV. My high was 24.1 mpg highway. Normal city 19 mpg. If you are not towing a heavy boat/other, this would be the engine to have, however they do not offer it this year. I would buy one again.

Family car
By FamilyMan on 04/17/08 11:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Great car and safety features are excellent. Family of 5 when we bought and now a family of 7 and still driving. We pack light, put a cargo holder on the roof and take off on the road.

Great Value
By CDA IDAHO on 03/16/08 12:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

So my wife and I spent 3 weekends looking for the perfect midsize SUV for our newly expanding family. Liked the Murano - but too small, really liked the new 08 Highlander - but a little too expensive, Acadia - a little too expensive. We looked at the 04-05 Infiniti, Acura, and BMW.... all were a little too small. We drove the XC90 the same day we drove the Acadia and couldn't help but notice the difference a V8 makes, both in pickup and engine noise. Very happy with our used purchase-- only 22k miles, all the bells and whistles. So quiet - compared to other test drives.

$50000 Lemons with multiple recalls
By Angela O. on 03/16/08 10:25 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Purchased for safety and reliability of Volvo. Mistake! Wonderful for the first 2 1/2 yr even with multiple recalls, then at 56k mi the problems started. Over last 12 mths I have spent over $4000 on repairs including 4 tire replacement (not the cheap ones!)twice within 10k mi and brake repacement twice within 8k mi. Now AWD is not functioning and the battery goes dead due to malfuctioning module. I am told that I must replace at my expense the AWD module and brake module for approx $3000-$4000! C'mon Volvo that's not normal wear-n- tear...that's a recall! No more Volvos for me!

XC70 v XC90
By IrishSwede on 02/09/08 09:00 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I traded my 2000 XC70 with nearly 200K miles for this 2005 2.5T AWD XC90 and love it. The ride isn't quite as nice but my XC70 wouldn't tow my ski boat while this vehicle has no problems with it. I've put nearly 15K miles on it since I bought it in 7/07. The mileage also isn't as good as the XC70 (26mpg hwy v 22 mpg) but I can live with it. So far my only complaint is the radio: the digital readout screen failed. The radio still works fine yet Volvo says that the only way to fix it is to replace the entire radio. I understand the problem is fairly common with this model and Volvo ought to develop a recall option. Overall great safe car!!

Unbelievable do everything vehicle!
By snodave on 02/01/08 06:43 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We wanted a vehicle that could do it all, & this is it. Holds 7 more comfortably than anything else its size. The V8 has amazing power to carry any load, plus a heavy-duty trailer loaded with 5,000 lb of rock, yet gets more reasonable gas mileage than many other SUVs. When studded tires added for winter, it is a snow machine. On icy days there are only two vehicles that get out of our hilly neighborhood, ours and a Hummer, none of the BMWx5s, Suburban, or other AWD vehicles can make the hill. It takes us and friends skiing in comfort and safety (with a ski box on top), it drives my kids and friends around town with ease, and will take us to the opera in style. This is the do everything car.

XC90 Transmission Nightmares
By idealltg on 10/15/07 11:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

My '05 T6 XC90 has already had three transmissions replaced. Lucky for me it's all under warranty but based on the frequency of the problem I'm afraid that the new transmission will fail after my warranty has expired. Looks like the only solution for my problem, since I cannot use the lemon law, will be to get rid of this thing as soon as I get it back. The dealer has had it now for two weeks. They can't figure out why the new transmission went out after only one week!

I Love It - But I'm Nervous
By MichelleF on 09/06/07 12:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I've had my T5 for 2 1/2 years and have had no major issues. However, dealer just told me all 4 tires need replacing, and I am only at 27K miles. Also, a co-worker had one from same year as mine, and he warned me that he started having lots of expensive problems with it after 30K miles, so I am a bit nervous. I think the new V8s probably get the same gas mileage as my Turbo 5 cyl, so would recommend people just get the V8. Don't get the T6 though - the transmission is very sluggish in low gears, and I prefer the faster pick-up of my T5, though you will hear the engine hum a bit when you accelerate hard and fast.

Sweeeet!
By denise on 07/18/07 15:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

This is one of the most comfortable, reliable and consistent vhicles which I have ever owened. I would buy it all over again. I wish they made a more fuel efficient model, or perhaps a hybrid as I have a lot of highway miles. I truly feel my family is safest in this car. The rear third row seats are tight, but I use them for my kids. It gives lots of options when we travel great distances, which we do each summer. The car is great for formals as well! Today's weather-it flooded, and there were cars stalled allover; me, I was crusin along, touring the country side with great ease. Suggestion; always get the extra warranty protection! luv my ride!

Love It!!
By t_hokies on 06/28/07 02:08 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I laughed at my husband when we bought our first Volvo 3 years ago because we are both country people and this just didn't fit in with the Fords and Dodges the we had prevously owned but now we won't buy anything else. We just recently bought the XC90 and so many of the features sold this SUV to us even after looking at several others on the market. The reliability along with the luxury is hard to find anywhere else. We see ourselves taking a Volvo with us wherever we move. The power behind it is so much better then what I could expect, handles wonderfully on an almost vertical rise.