2005 Volvo XC90 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Love Volvo, don't love XC90
By Volvoowner4life on 06/24/09 12:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought my 2005 XC90 new in November 2004. Overall, I am happy with it, but also frustrated w/the number of the same problems over and over. Love 3rd row seats & integrated child booster. Hate that I have had to replace my tires 2x in the past 4.5 yrs. I have had continuing issues with the ball joints and tie rods that actually caused me to fail inspection. They have been replaced at least 2x & I am hearing the same noises again. There is not a ton of power or pick up with this vehicle. Also, I have had several fuses blow for the power outlets even though nothing is plugged into the very often. I would like to try the XC70 or the XC60 to see if I have better luck.

Solid, Safe, and Practical SUV
By Bill on 05/17/09 11:04 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought a new 2.5T AWD four years ago and have been very satisfied with our purchase. We didn't need the 3rd row seating and since they add considerable weight and reduce 2nd row leg space, we had our dealer search for a 5 passenger model for us. I'm glad we did, because the 2.5T engine is just adequate, given the vehicle weight. We have averaged exactly in the 17-22 EPA mileage range - not bad for such a spacious SUV. The XC90 has attractive, timeless styling, is appointed excellently on the interior and has a smooth, secure, stable ride. The 2.5T won't win any drag races, but is fine for our every day normal driving. The XC90 corners pretty well for an SUV too.

so far so good
By brirags on 05/10/09 09:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I just picked up an 05 T6 with 40k miles from auction. The car is nearly flawless and appears to run beautifully. I found out I'm the 2nd owner, and the car has been meticulously maintained by a local Volvo dealer. My concern is that it's had 2 transmissions replaced, the latest 18 months ago along with the radiator. Not sure if I need to purchase a warantee. Dealers told me the problem is most likely cured, but if anyone has a comment, I'm all ears as I'm a bit concerned.

I WOULD NOT purchase another XC90
By Beckett on 01/18/09 17:18 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Our lease on the XC90 is up and we won't be leasing a Volvo again. The factory Pirellis lasted 12,000 miles and the replacements are going bald with about 18,000 on them. That's expensive; especially when you add a brake job at 20,000 miles which the warranty fails to cover. Other annoyances are a totally inadequate A/C, a stereo that picks up 1/2 the local stations and seats that don't fold up/down dependably. When compared to the Lexus and Acura automobiles we have owned, the Volvo is equal in price, but NOT EVEN CLOSE in quality. If you are looking at buying an XC90 make sure you get it CHEAP so you can afford the repairs.

Be careful
By Bud on 11/03/08 06:09 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

The XC-90 that I have is a piece of junk! Fortunately, when I purchased the car used with 22k on it, the dealership offered, at no additional charge, a 100k warranty. Thank goodness! At last count, they have done over $10,000 in repairs! If you are looking for an upscale SUV, you may want to look elsewhere! The dealer has been great. It is just that Volvo was asleep when they built mine!

A Great Car Except for One Thing
By John George on 10/15/08 16:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I spent several months researching what car to buy for my wife. She wanted an SUV. I wanted safety. We purchased a 2005 XC90 T6 with 39000 mi. The car was like new, had had all the factory recommended service & checked out perfect! Since the car had 1 1/2 yrs of warranty I was not concerned about reliability. Boy was I wrong! After only 400 mi. the car has spent the last 3 weeks in the shop waiting for a back-ordered trans. The climate control is bad & surround sound cuts in & out on turns. We love the car but are afraid this is an omen of things to come. Also, the "back-ordered" trans tells us ours isn't the only Volvo with this problem. Can't someone make a safe & reliable car?

Great car!
By Eli on 09/27/08 13:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I just bought my 2005 XC90 with 90,000 miles on it and have put an additional 35,000 miles on it and have absolutely no problems. I have challenged snow, tropical storms, ice, and mountain roads and this car preforms with flying colors all the time! It cruises nicely and quietly on the highway and around town. The tranny was replaced with the previous owner at aprox. 80,000 miles and it feels like new. I always feel safe in this car in any environment or situation and Volvo does that magnificently.

Taking the buyout!
By m on 08/28/08 15:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Lease is up and we are buying this vehicle. Absolute pleasure the last 39 months. Timeless style and great performance. What more could you ask for.

My Opinion
By joezarra07 on 07/06/08 18:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Previously drove A4 and 9-5 but w/3 kids we needed something more practical. The SUV has traditional good looks that didn't go out of style 3 yrs later. The seats are still very comfortable. The third row seat has not been an issue and won't be unless you have a large teen or an adult in back. Even that is OK for a short ride. However not all is good with this SUV. The AC is nothing short of terrible. The Pirelli tires that came standard didn't make it to 25K. The plastic housing on the driver side craked. The tie rod broke at 42K The CD player no longer works. Lease is up and will look at GL450 X5 MDX.

Transmission and AWD Problems
By tracyt302 on 06/16/08 11:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Bought new and replaced rear wheel bearings at about 50K miles replaced transmission and angle gear (AWD) at 94K. No assistance from Volvo. Very poor design flaw. Will not buy another Volvo. Replaced steering rack and power steering unit and another rear wheel bearing.