Used 2005 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews - 207 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo XC90 - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volvo XC90

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

My Big Mistake! Take our advice!
By crawfojj

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Yeah, so I got married and thought about getting into a family style vehicle. But, I wanted something with a little spunk to it. I opted for a used 2004 Volvo XC90 T6. Yikes! Bad call on that!
I owned it for 6 months...and although I didn't have to take it to the shop at all it wasn't fun in the least bit. It had good size and visability and I def felt safe...but that's it. Gas mileage was HORRIBLE! And it ain't cheap considering you have to use premium!
My seats ripped and the sunroof leaked anytime it rained and/or took it through the carwash. Also, it approached the 70k mile mark and I noticed my transmission slipping. Time to get out and cut my loses.

Ummmm...can't think of any.

I thought for a $50k original car that it would have quality...not impressed. Volvo Cars is going the way of Saturn...bye bye. Get a VW instead.

You Might Get Lucky !
By AJ

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

My 2005 XC 90 is reliable most of the time but, when something goes wrong cross your fingers you have warrenty. It's well built to a point. Of all the suv's I've had. (Yukon,Envoy,Range Rover,and Audi Q7) I rather own a Volvo. It still needs to be a better drivers car. Some more handling upgrades needed. Just don't ever purchase a Range Rover!

Simplicity in it's overall driver and rear passenger comfortability.

MPG a must. My 2.5 Turbo has very POOR gas consumption. My Range Rover is much better. Try to tweeque the computer or the engine to improve the gas milage.

Solid and safe family transport
By JCC

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

It won't win any races, but it rides and handles beautifully for its weight and height. The seats are the most comfortable of any cars I've owned. Going down the highway, the car tracks straight and feels solid. Exterior design is classy, and interior design is highly functional and efficient. The car is easy to drive and park, though the second row leg room is tight to make room for the third row and the generous cargo bay. The car was reliable during the 4 year warranty period. On the down side, the car is underpowered while only returning so-so fuel economy. It needs a new set of tires every two years. Had some electrical problems starting year 5. Dealer service and parts are expensive.

Exterior style and interior functions. Superb seats. Handling. Solid feel. Roomy cargo bay. 3 rows of fold flat seats. Powerful brakes. Just the right size. Split open hatch. Comfortable on long trips.

More power. Go easy on the tires. Better long term reliability, thus lower ownership cost. Bluetooth standard. More extensive dealer network. Improve these areas and I will buy another one in a few years.

On the 4th transmission! Terrible car
By Ericg

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought the car certified pre-owned, THANK GOD. I'm on the 4th transmission - I'm an easy, family driver, this car is terrible from a mechanical standpoint. I've had the front axle replaced, seats breaking after small kids sit on them, emergency brake problems, fuel door breaking, etc., etc. I like the car, but the mechanical problems are simply unacceptable for a car in this price range.......and clearly Volvo/the dealership doesn't care about transmission issues since they are replacing it for the 4th time ON THEIR NICKEL - they said each was a new trans...yeah... Gas mileage is bad, also. All considered, I regret buying this car. My advise is to stay clear, if not, please buy mine!

I'm too irritated to point any out. For the price you pay, it should have nice features.

Transmission, dealer service, transmission,axles, seat control panel construction,transmission, fuel door, emergency brake, transmission

XC90 After Chrismas Volvo
By Harry

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased the XC90 December 26, 2004 at the same time gas prices hit $2 a gallon in Las Vegas. My Ford got 13 MPG and I saw the cost only going up. I returned from Phoenix today (9/12/10) and averaged 23.7 MPG with the 2.5 T FWD. It has been a trouble free purchase with the original Michelin tires still on the vichele.

Leg and Head room-I am 6 ft 7 inches tall and can wear my hat inside the cabin.

Go green with a hybrid; if the 2012/2015 model got 30 mpg I would buy another one.