2005 Volvo XC90 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Good, Safe SUV
By Gary on 02/20/10 07:49 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have driven this car every day for the last 4.5 years and through 80k miles it has been a reliable and decent car. I can't say I love it, but I don't dislike it either. Compared to our BMW X5, it is capable and OK to drive, but not a performance vehicle by any measure. It is very comfortable for long road trips for a family of 4. It tows our 3000 lb boat with ease. V8 seems to go when you stomp on it. Cruises nicely at highway speeds 70-80 mph. We have not had any reliability issues other than normal maintenance - tires at 45k, brakes at 60k. All and all, it has been a pretty good car.

Stay Clear
By new jersey on 02/17/10 13:38 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

We bought our xc90 new. Have had a multitude of problems two wheel bearing hubs rear, steering rack, drive shaft, tie rod ends and two transmissions. Funny thing is my mother bought the same car at the same time and had all the same problems and is going for transmission number 3. good luck to all of us who got stuck with the t-6 nightmare!!!!!

Not impressed -
By Chris Martins on 01/10/10 16:30 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

i bought this used with about 33,000 miles on it. It was in the shop about a week after i bought it with many minor problems. I've gone thru tires, ball joints, tie rods, seat heaters, and it goes one. The dash is the exact same dash that is in my wife's Ford Windstar mini van. I the transmission went and i had to wait 4 weeks for a new or rebuilt transmission. The local dealer would not give out a loaner car and is not the best to deal with. I have this car up forsale and i will NEVER by a Volvo again - the loaner i did get for other service repairs were not impressive. I think Volvo will be like Saab before long since Ford is not getting any buyers for Volvo. Wish i bought saab9-7

Bought it new...still love it!
By Leslie on 01/02/10 17:48 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I am thrilled that we did not get the T6. The only con I have is that the tires (originally Pirelli)have been replaced twice - not unusually with an AWD SUV. The 2 things that I had a problem were was the front brakes making a bizzare sound -they put something on the brakes...fixed. The only other thing that happened was I got into the car and the engine would not turn over...dead. Something with the key. Had to have it towed to the dealer. I was hit by a mini cooper on my side door and the car did not move. I have two small children and feel very safe. Was thinking of trading it in for a newer VOLVO XC90 but after reading the other reviews(I have only 52K miles) I think I'll keep it.

Unrealistic Expectations
By sean.rowesr on 12/29/09 18:15 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

This is by far the most disappointing vehicle purchase I have made. The transmission has gone out three times in less than 70,000 miles. The radiator and multiple hoses had to be replaced and the maint department at the two Volvo dealerships my car has been towed to were rude and unprofessional. The service department actually told me that my car was poorly built and I'd be better off buying a different vehicle. I was told by the manager that the XC90 is plagued with mechanical flaws and the gentleman that brought my car to me from the shop threw the keys on the counter and walked away without speaking. They didn't even give me a new transmission..they stripped one from a car on the lot!

Safe and solid ride
By Scarlett435 on 12/27/09 09:35 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I love my Volvo SUV! Wish I would have purchased it with the GPS already installed. Have replaced all 4 tires, front & back brakes, front & back rotares, upper engine mount all before 75K miles! But I still love the vehicle.

Do NOT buy a Volvo
By Never again on 11/12/09 10:17 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

My T6 is in the shop for a replacement transmission, now in order to get any warranty they say they must replace the DEFECTIVE radiator. The cost started out at an estimate of $4800 soon it will be over $7000? All of this at just over 100K miles. One should expect at least 150K miles from a car costing nearly $50K new. VOLVO has no Heart no soul and is not built well at all.

My Volvo did not last
By Kevin on 10/21/09 16:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I am someone who wanted to be a Volvo owner for life . I had always heard how dependable Volvo's are . Well my XC90 was anything but . At 59000 miles I needed a new transmission . And the Volvo dealer was not helpful with anything . I am just getting ready to turn 110000 miles and I need another transmission . Also I had to put in a new drive train at 90000 miles. Along with a new front axle at 64000. Granted I do drive alot of miles in a year. But I purchased a Volvo so I could have a safe reliable car . And my Volvo cost me way to much in repairs and way to much on rental car bills . After my experience with the Volvo XC90 I would recommend it.

would not buy another
By j on 10/16/09 10:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We are on the 5th set of tires (not cheap ones either)and Volvo refuses to believe some problem. They supposedly lined it up and even put the first set on at less than 8k miles free. The tires wear on the inside every time. The plastic casing the seats in front sit on have broken. One time they replaced free then I had to pay $95.00 second time and now passenger side broken. They told me they put a better plastic on now when they did the driver seat for second time. I love the look of the car but too much trouble and would not buy another.

My first Volvo
By Oceancruiser on 08/07/09 06:25 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

i bought it with 29k miles on it..this car on the highway is awesome with lots of power because of the twin turbo engine..in the city feel very comfortable and quick enough to move in traffic.