Used 2005 Volvo XC90 SUV Consumer Reviews - 208 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Volvo XC90 Great
By DKJ

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is our second Volvo and it has been great. Feel very comfortable driving such a safe design vehicle. I used to drive American vehicles before and there is no comparison. The values and solid designs makes it so nice. Many compliments already. Kids love it. Sound system very nice. Wood steering worth it. Adds some elegance. Fuel mileage really is just like other SUVs and better than some.

The look, comfort and such well built details.

Only thing is the cup holder cover. Definitely a poor design. It does not close back up and they are replacing it. Really not much of a big deal though. I wish they would add a bigger space to rest left side foot like what they have in the S60. That was comforatble for cruise control.

great SUV
By YL

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We had Honda Pilot for 2.5 years -no comparison to XC90. Volvo rides more like a luxury sedan, not your typical SUV. Great stability at speeds up to 100mph -did not try faster because of fear to get a speeding ticket. Body roll is very minimal, suspension is great so far. One problem -stuck front seat cap holder cover - was fixed by the dealer ( they already have a service notice).

Geartronic tranny -very usefull in mountains. Good ergonomics -easy to reach all the controls. Good radio, dual temp. controls

cannot think of any

bad engineering
By Jin

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The xc90 is not comfortable for a family. The kids complain nonstop on rides longer than 30 min. No place to put anything in the cramped cockpit. I found out my AWD was not working when I needed it the most, so my sons had to help push me out of a ditch. I have had to get new tires with only 10,000 mi! I have had problems with radio, shocks, ball bearings and transmission linkage. There have been lots of small things that are annoying like little parts falling off here and there.

The service dept has been good but I didn't buy a $43,000 SUV so I could be on a first name basis with the sevice dept.

Re-engineer this vehicle for the future model years.

Awesome vehicle
By KIKI

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I am a 65 year old grandmother and feel really good driving my grandchildren around in this safe vehicle. This is the 6th volvo my immediate family has owned. We love them and "drive them until the wheels fall off." Before this 2005 xc90 my last volvo was a 1997 960. It was awesome too.

My 3 year old granddaughter loves the entertainment package with dvd player. Especially like having the two screens behind each front seat. I like the whole vehicle and don't have just one favorite feature. The latch system is wonderful for the carseats though.

Larger console between front seats

No doubt about it....
By Hope

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

this is the best car I have ever had. the safety features are phenomenal, it is reliable, plus extremely comfortable and nice looking.

My favorite feature is the split-back hatch. I can load my groceries in, drive home, open the top portion of the hatch and not have things fall out of the cargo space all over my feet! It is the perfect height.