2005 Volvo XC90 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
My XC90 T-6 AWD --The First Year
By Martha M. Schlein on 01/02/05 07:26 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

The XC90 T6 is my first new Volvo after driving a 740 wagon for 17 yrs. My daughter now drives it. I am totally blown away by the technology and saftey features and awards of this vehicle, as well as totally in love and in awe of this car. It is so much fun to drive and such a pleasure to drive that I actually think up more places to drive to! It certainly saved our lives driving thru a blinding snowstorm last January without chains (not needed). It handles well, its cabin is luxurious, and it has tons of room. Got the 5 seater. Things I dont like about it include its poor gas mileage, I get 14 city, 18 hwy, and the clam or 2 part hatch opening. It is too high for my dogs. Otherwise, this truck is the best.

Poor Quality
By John Connor on 12/22/04 08:08 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Car is anything but advertised quiet luxury. Noisy blowers, airconditioner makes noise like 1960 aftermarket models. Interior design weak. Drivers seat restricted due to design of drive center. One of the poorest quality cars/trucks I have ever owned.

Don't think twice
By John on 12/21/04 21:46 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have owned almost every luxury SUV, incl. Lexus, Landcruiser, BMW, Mercedes, etc. This is the best for money and may be the best period. No seat this comfy & supportive!! I'm hard to please, but like it mucho. Chose the T5 over T6 b/c 1" smaller wheel rim= more comfy ride. Power's fine. Price is no object for me. This is a "steal". BUY IT---DON'T THINK TWICE!!

Major Disappointment
By Jim Barnacle on 12/16/04 00:30 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My 2.5 Turbo moans and groans it way around town delivering me 15 miles to the gallon. The SUV is particularly annoying to drive in traffic because the car hesitates off the line (turbo lag I'm told). The vibration of the turbo reminds me of a diesel. When I exit the car the vibration stays with me. This is a sad excuse for a premium SUV. I actually enjoyed my 2002 Ford Explorer more than this overrated piece of junk. I feel betrayed by the automotive press for their positive reviews. M

Not Sold Yet
By Andy on 12/08/04 15:56 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I picked up the car in early November and love it, for the most part. It has plenty of pep, plus styling, safety, and space for the family. It is a great overall package that is really unmatched in its segment. unfortunately, my car is back at dealership for the second time in the first month with an electrical issue. Its electrical system periodically just goes completely dead. When it does restart (so far, it has), lots of service warning messages appear on the otherwise great message center. My dealer can't find the problem. I am starting to research lemon law protections.

3000 miles and looking good
By KY Volvo Owner on 11/28/04 16:36 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Studied, studied, test drove them all MDX, BMW,RX330...this baby is no mistake. Quiet ride, solid build, a little feel of the road, but extrordinarily comfortable. Handles easily and the wife loves it. Great field of vision. Mirrors are wide and effective. Rear and side vision is excellent. Incredible stopping ability. Much more than I expected. Tested both the T6 and T5, trust me, unless you're pulling a planet at 80 mph, stick with the T5. The 5 speed trans makes a huge difference. The "around town" drive is great with the 5, and it's plenty on the road. All based on the 1st 3000 miles, combined MPG 17.9, 60% highway, 40%

nice suv
By jaclyn on 11/27/04 09:14 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

This is our first high-end suv. I must say you get used to the creature comforts offered by this class of suv very quick. The performance is excellent, the ride is excellent for an suv, and the fit and finish is perfect. Fuel economy is okay, as we obtain an average of between 17 and 17.5. We also have a mid-priced suv, and all you need do is take a ride in each of them to see the difference. Other than scheduled service intervals, the only repair has been to a faulty cd player, and a tire vibration at 2k miles. The dealer replaced both items with new ones.

Quite Nice!
By Brettbc on 11/24/04 22:19 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

After driving the MDX, Pacifica and several others we realized that no other vehicle offered the space, comfort, safety, towing capacity and handling of the XC90. With the third row of seats folded there is an amazing amount of room for our Baby's stuff. But what really floored us was how eleghant the vehicle really is inside. With the leather and actual wood interior it just feels nice. Not to mention the exterior is also very attractive. Overall a wonderful combination of utility and comfort!

Good SUV
By dabelko on 11/16/04 21:35 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

A nice luxury SUV with three rows of seats, yet not too large. Mileage with 5 cylinder mirrors the EPA ratings (18- 24) much to my surprise. Visibility could be a little better. Seats have good support. Handling is pretty good for a SUV. Unfortunately they have begun to raise price.

LOVE IT!
By dcardblue on 11/16/04 20:26 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

If you are looking for an SUV that is fun to drive and is tops in safety, you have to get a Volvo XC-90. It is also luxurious, comfortable and I just love mine!