Used 2005 Volvo XC90 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

The best ever
By Raviv

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I owned 4 different volvos. the S40, then 2 different S60 and now the XC90. The best of them all. A superb SUV... So far I could not find a single bad thing with this car. Had it serviced 3 times so far (12K service intervals), and there was nothing wrong was found. At 23K miles, I replaced front brakes which is not bad at all... I SIMPLY LOVE IT. Fuel is better that expected and I get around 18 MPG. The design of the car is stunning, nice lines, the internal is simply perfect, the external (see my suggestions).

Favorite Features

Space is great, I have the kids in the 3rd row. The Dvd features is great...

Suggested Improvements

1 - Auto dimm-mirrors, 2 - to have the options of leaving the upper part of the boot door open while the lower part is closed. 3 - To re-design the front lights, somehow they dont fit (personal taste). 4 - to have more cbuilt-in child seats in the car

mysterious noises, radio changes station
By david carter

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

For $51K one would think that vibrational noises would be non existent. On wash board dirt roads or hitting a bump in the road just right there is a harsh rattle/thumping sound coming from the left suspension. This can be felt in the steering column.There is a disturbing wind noise from the right quarter panel area at 60 mi or above. There is a strange click sound from the tail gate that happens every few minutes, this even occurs when the car is still. Most frustrating is the radio and cd player change stations or tracks on it's own. The car has 2000 mi on it,has been in the shop off and on for over a mo.and problems persists. Spoke to the owner today, not even an apology. Very disappointed

Favorite Features

The sound system, when it works.

Suggested Improvements

I average 12 mi city maybe some false advertising here? Manufacturer quality control

Volvo XC90 Great
By DKJ

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is our second Volvo and it has been great. Feel very comfortable driving such a safe design vehicle. I used to drive American vehicles before and there is no comparison. The values and solid designs makes it so nice. Many compliments already. Kids love it. Sound system very nice. Wood steering worth it. Adds some elegance. Fuel mileage really is just like other SUVs and better than some.

Favorite Features

The look, comfort and such well built details.

Suggested Improvements

Only thing is the cup holder cover. Definitely a poor design. It does not close back up and they are replacing it. Really not much of a big deal though. I wish they would add a bigger space to rest left side foot like what they have in the S60. That was comforatble for cruise control.

great SUV
By YL

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We had Honda Pilot for 2.5 years -no comparison to XC90. Volvo rides more like a luxury sedan, not your typical SUV. Great stability at speeds up to 100mph -did not try faster because of fear to get a speeding ticket. Body roll is very minimal, suspension is great so far. One problem -stuck front seat cap holder cover - was fixed by the dealer ( they already have a service notice).

Favorite Features

Geartronic tranny -very usefull in mountains. Good ergonomics -easy to reach all the controls. Good radio, dual temp. controls

Suggested Improvements

cannot think of any

bad engineering
By Jin

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The xc90 is not comfortable for a family. The kids complain nonstop on rides longer than 30 min. No place to put anything in the cramped cockpit. I found out my AWD was not working when I needed it the most, so my sons had to help push me out of a ditch. I have had to get new tires with only 10,000 mi! I have had problems with radio, shocks, ball bearings and transmission linkage. There have been lots of small things that are annoying like little parts falling off here and there.

Favorite Features

The service dept has been good but I didn't buy a $43,000 SUV so I could be on a first name basis with the sevice dept.

Suggested Improvements

Re-engineer this vehicle for the future model years.