Used 2005 Volvo XC90 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Fun to drive! Reliable?
By PJM

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Enjoy the comfort, handling and many features. Very disappointed with fuel economy, tire life, radio (why do we have to press Enter when it picks up a dgital station) and other problems (a/c damper motors replaced, computer module which controls head beams and tail lights - at $400/ea plus labor, I hope the other 3 last longer). Cargo space is fine.

Seats, interior comfort, moon roof, radio when it works.

Radio, tires, fuel economy

First Volvo
By Jeff H.

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

My father bought a Turbo Diesel Volvo a few years back and it turned out to be a lemon. After all the hassles of dealing with the State, Volvo and the dealership, he finally got his money back. So why did a buy a Volvo? I wanted to go to Sweden. I wanted to get the R station wagon, but she wanted the XC90. She won. I took overseas delivery of the car. Volvo arranges everything. Great trip. Once the car arrived stateside, I drove it back home using highway 199 that connects Grants Pass Oregon to Crescent City California. The car stuck to the road like glue. Very little sway and very responsive. Great breaking going into corners and plenty of power exiting them. The future?

Power, footing, wet weather options that include an extra transmission feature for wet roads, auto wipers that slow or speed up depending on rain fall, low profile wipers that clear the windshield unlike regular wipers, seating for 7 passengers, good option package included for buying a 2005 model.

Better noise protection. Can hear wind noise coming through doors. Better weatherstripping needed? Driver's door window came off track after 1500 miles. Factory paint needs to be clearcoated. A little more space needed between the brake and accelerator pedals.

Love this SUV
By DougT

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I wanted to buy this SUV and was told to only buy the V8. I'm happy I did. The car has some zip. The driving position and front seats are extremely comfortable. Ive driven it in the snow and rain and its handled beautifully. I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone who wants a high end SUV. The gas mileage has been fine. I keep it steady at 60-85 and get 16-18 on the highway. If you are erratic and punch it all the time, you'll get less.

The seats are incredibly comfortable. I love the telescopic steering wheel. It allows you to move the driver seat up and still be comfortable. It also opens up more room in the back for passengers. Love the seat warmers and back up sensors.

The radio/CD player functions are a little tough to get used to and operate. I wish satellite radio was an option as well.

xc90
By AWD

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Very attractive vehicle. Ergonomics could be better. It's hard to turn a corner without changing the radio station as the secondary controls are on the steering wheel. Right side control stalk handles too many functions making inadvertant switching on and of of, say, the rear wiper a nuisance. Front passanger seat back control a joke.

Many problems - disappointed owner
By jnkn of KC

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

We had our T6 for 20 months and have had a number of problems. They include power steering rack replaced, horn malfunction, transmission seals replced, right rear hub replaced, radio malfunction. These were are covered under warranty but for $45,000 we were hoping for a more reliable vehicle. The also never mentioned that tires will not last more than 18- 20 thousand miles. Be preparded to spend $900 for new tires regularly.

Solid vehicle with a smooth ride, good handling, T6 has very good pickup.

Fix the blind spot over the driver's left shoulder. The roof support is difficult to see around when moving into the left lane. Tire wear and brake is dissapointing as well