Used 2005 Volvo XC90 V8 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

2005 Volvo XC90
By littlerock2

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought a 2005 Volvo XC90 new in Feb of 2006 at the dealership in Athens GA. In Dec. of 2011, transmission had to be rebuilt at 87,000 miles for $4200 - dealership wanted $6500. Then in April 2012 at 92,000 miles, the engine started knocking - balance rod failure. I looked on line and Volvo has known that both these failures could occur in this make and model. Never did I receive any recall or info. I contacted Volvo of North America who offered no help to pay for these repairs. I did not rebuild engine - would cost almost what car was worth. I sold it to an auction company for $3600. Now drive a Toyota Highlander. Will never trust Volvo again.

Loved the way it drives and rides.

Volvo needs to take responsibility for the quality of their vehicles. I never thought when I bought the car I would have a major mechanical failure at 87,000 and another at 92,000 miles.

Do Not Buy This Car
By jennelle

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Do not buy this car. I bought brand new from the Ontario dealer. I have had one problem after another. However, I only have 700 characters here. Most were minor but annoying since my closest dealer is 1 1/2 hrs away and they don't offer authorized repair anywhere but at a Volvo dealership. Now at just 60,000 miles the transmission and drive shaft have to be replaced to the tune of $5000+. If the dealer does the repairs is $8000 . And Volvo won't help one bit. Talking to my local mechanic and reading the blogs the Volvo SUV have had a lot of major mechanical problems. Do your research... do not buy a Volvo SUV you will be sorry.

do not buy this car

Availability of parts
By sportette

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my XC 90 used, 29,000 miles on it. I hit a deer December 26th. It is now May 9th and I am still waiting for parts that the dealership says are on order. I do have the car because the missing parts do not affect the drivability. I still find this amount of time excessive. I do love the car and have always wanted a Volvo. I have had electrical issues with the radio changing stations by itself, doors locking by themselves or not wanting to unlock. I have not been able to figure out how to program the visor buttons to open our garage door. I cannot find the section that covers this in my owner's manual. I am also disappointed in the gas mileage.

I really like the integrated booster seat and comfortable ride. The sound system is wonderful and the jacks between the 2nd and 3rd row seats are great for the grandkids.

The owner's manual is not real easy to use. I couldn't find how to properly fold the seats down or how to program my garage door opener to the car.

I Will Miss It
By volvo4life2

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

After proudly owning a 2005 for 3 years and 35,000 miles, I will be switching over to a 2006 S60. After living in a large city for about a year now, I can no longer handle the 12 mpg that the V8 provided me in the city, and the parking. BUT don't get me wrong I drove my car from 67,000 to 96,000 miles. I loved every second of it. It was the SAFEST car on the road. If you don't believe me, check out the Volvo Saved my life club. I am slightly worried that the S60 won't be as safe. I had the Navigation System, TV's and Parking sensors. Never used the TV's but the nav system and parking sensors daily. Two more things I will be without, sadly

TV's, Navigation, Looks, Power, Comfort, Visibility, Feel of the road, Seats. I recommend this car to anyone. I am a 20 year old single male, and I loved it.

GAS MILAGE. The end. (In the CITY I was getting 12-13, highway was really good though!)

V8 Engine Is Prone to Catastrophic Failure
By jdcarcollector

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Last week, our 2005 Volvo XC90 V8 'died' in an intersection. The dealer explained the engine had a 'catastrophic failure' and was "dead". I was told the battery was dead and there is no compression -- air blew through the engine. I asked how this could possibly have happened to a car that has undergone every Volvo dealer service, including one just 45 days ago. The dealer was courteous but explained the car required a new engine which costs $15,000. Google "Volvo Yamaha V8 Failure" and you'll come across numerous people discussing catastrophic failures thanks to the timing chain breaking. Volvo has not undertaken a recall.

I love the way my well-maintained Volvo "died" just 45 days after I had full service plus four new tires. My three children under 10 years old (incl. one with special needs) and spouse were left out in the cold by a gas station whle a flatbed truck removed the car. Beyond that, we were always please with the car it handled reasonably well, had good acceleration before the engine failed, and the car was practical for a family of 4-5 people.

Volvo should make this right for customers -- it is terrible that there are numerous customers with XC90 V8 models with 60,000-85,000 miles that have it just up and die one day. It is extremely clear to me that Volvo is aware of this issue -- in fact our dealer insinuated you were aware -- and yet you have not recalled. I purchased a Volvo because of your safety/quality record but I could never recommend another because of this terrible outcome. I am fortunate that this is not a financial burden for me, but it upsets me most to think that a family could be dealt a severe financial blow as a result of your poor engineering. Shame on you Volvo.