2005 Volvo XC90 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
2005 Volvo XC90
By littlerock2 on 07/06/12 19:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought a 2005 Volvo XC90 new in Feb of 2006 at the dealership in Athens GA. In Dec. of 2011, transmission had to be rebuilt at 87,000 miles for $4200 - dealership wanted $6500. Then in April 2012 at 92,000 miles, the engine started knocking - balance rod failure. I looked on line and Volvo has known that both these failures could occur in this make and model. Never did I receive any recall or info. I contacted Volvo of North America who offered no help to pay for these repairs. I did not rebuild engine - would cost almost what car was worth. I sold it to an auction company for $3600. Now drive a Toyota Highlander. Will never trust Volvo again.

Do Not Buy This Car
By jennelle on 04/25/12 12:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Do not buy this car. I bought brand new from the Ontario dealer. I have had one problem after another. However, I only have 700 characters here. Most were minor but annoying since my closest dealer is 1 1/2 hrs away and they don't offer authorized repair anywhere but at a Volvo dealership. Now at just 60,000 miles the transmission and drive shaft have to be replaced to the tune of $5000+. If the dealer does the repairs is $8000 . And Volvo won't help one bit. Talking to my local mechanic and reading the blogs the Volvo SUV have had a lot of major mechanical problems. Do your research... do not buy a Volvo SUV you will be sorry.

Availability of parts
By sportette on 05/09/11 06:42 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my XC 90 used, 29,000 miles on it. I hit a deer December 26th. It is now May 9th and I am still waiting for parts that the dealership says are on order. I do have the car because the missing parts do not affect the drivability. I still find this amount of time excessive. I do love the car and have always wanted a Volvo. I have had electrical issues with the radio changing stations by itself, doors locking by themselves or not wanting to unlock. I have not been able to figure out how to program the visor buttons to open our garage door. I cannot find the section that covers this in my owner's manual. I am also disappointed in the gas mileage.

I Will Miss It
By volvo4life2 on 03/09/11 01:44 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

After proudly owning a 2005 for 3 years and 35,000 miles, I will be switching over to a 2006 S60. After living in a large city for about a year now, I can no longer handle the 12 mpg that the V8 provided me in the city, and the parking. BUT don't get me wrong I drove my car from 67,000 to 96,000 miles. I loved every second of it. It was the SAFEST car on the road. If you don't believe me, check out the Volvo Saved my life club. I am slightly worried that the S60 won't be as safe. I had the Navigation System, TV's and Parking sensors. Never used the TV's but the nav system and parking sensors daily. Two more things I will be without, sadly

V8 Engine Is Prone to Catastrophic Failure
By jdcarcollector on 03/04/11 19:02 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Last week, our 2005 Volvo XC90 V8 'died' in an intersection. The dealer explained the engine had a 'catastrophic failure' and was "dead". I was told the battery was dead and there is no compression -- air blew through the engine. I asked how this could possibly have happened to a car that has undergone every Volvo dealer service, including one just 45 days ago. The dealer was courteous but explained the car required a new engine which costs $15,000. Google "Volvo Yamaha V8 Failure" and you'll come across numerous people discussing catastrophic failures thanks to the timing chain breaking. Volvo has not undertaken a recall.

You Might Get Lucky !
By AJ on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

My 2005 XC 90 is reliable most of the time but, when something goes wrong cross your fingers you have warrenty. It's well built to a point. Of all the suv's I've had. (Yukon,Envoy,Range Rover,and Audi Q7) I rather own a Volvo. It still needs to be a better drivers car. Some more handling upgrades needed. Just don't ever purchase a Range Rover!

absolute letdown
By rayray on 05/07/10 19:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Misery! Volvo forgot reliability is part of "safety." Where do I start with the 2005 V8 AWD "top of the line" for that year. First big problem: AC put out only HOT. Then the shifter/key start up had problems. Yearly, windows always need calibration as they would roll down by themselves. Then an ABS control failed and I could not start the car. After the pitiful 4yr/50k warranty ran out (car paid in full of course) the transmission failed after 70,000 miles, cost $6500 to fix, then there was the engine leak that after 4 months of diagnosing turned out to be a leaky engine BLOCK, so I needed a new engine after 80,000 miles. Dont get me started on the electrical system. Worse vehicle ever!

Good buy, but not a flawless car
By gilles bourdier on 04/25/10 05:38 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Car is a 2005.Roomy and comfortable. Has not let us down so far ( at 55000km). It looks good and not too big. Still manoeuvrable in town, despite a high turning radius. Parts and tires are durable. Fuel economy is very good on the open road and highway (12/13 l/100), much worse in town (18/20 l/100) HOWEVER, car is hefty and ponderous, taking away any driving pleasure. Steering wheel too low, even when adjusted, sunroof lets in way too much wind noise. Leather quality of seats poor. Engine feels suprisingly strained and whining under effort. Exhaust sound is a letdown. Sounds like a German V6, not a V8. Disturbing loud clunks and thumps over road bumps. Good, but not flawless

Good, Safe SUV
By Gary on 02/20/10 07:49 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have driven this car every day for the last 4.5 years and through 80k miles it has been a reliable and decent car. I can't say I love it, but I don't dislike it either. Compared to our BMW X5, it is capable and OK to drive, but not a performance vehicle by any measure. It is very comfortable for long road trips for a family of 4. It tows our 3000 lb boat with ease. V8 seems to go when you stomp on it. Cruises nicely at highway speeds 70-80 mph. We have not had any reliability issues other than normal maintenance - tires at 45k, brakes at 60k. All and all, it has been a pretty good car.

Great Value
By CDA IDAHO on 03/16/08 12:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

So my wife and I spent 3 weekends looking for the perfect midsize SUV for our newly expanding family. Liked the Murano - but too small, really liked the new 08 Highlander - but a little too expensive, Acadia - a little too expensive. We looked at the 04-05 Infiniti, Acura, and BMW.... all were a little too small. We drove the XC90 the same day we drove the Acadia and couldn't help but notice the difference a V8 makes, both in pickup and engine noise. Very happy with our used purchase-- only 22k miles, all the bells and whistles. So quiet - compared to other test drives.