2005 Volvo XC90 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Worste SUV in the market
By vito9 on 02/26/11 11:05 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have never in my life experienced such a disastrous SUV. It is not reliable at all and the slogan "Volvo for life" is crap and does not mean anything for me as a T6 owner. I dont know where to start. New transmission at 80k, new steering rack a bit later, new hatch lock, tie rods, stabilizer links, ball bearings, joints, new breaks after 30k, leaking coolant, defective coolant lines and tubes, leaking windshield washer (broken tubes). This SUV is crap. NEVER, NEVER buy a volvo again! I had one before but this is the last time i am walking into the Volvo dealership to buy anything. I dont really like Japanese cars but the truth is that they are reliable!

My Big Mistake! Take our advice!
By crawfojj on 01/25/11 09:12 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Yeah, so I got married and thought about getting into a family style vehicle. But, I wanted something with a little spunk to it. I opted for a used 2004 Volvo XC90 T6. Yikes! Bad call on that! I owned it for 6 months...and although I didn't have to take it to the shop at all it wasn't fun in the least bit. It had good size and visability and I def felt safe...but that's it. Gas mileage was HORRIBLE! And it ain't cheap considering you have to use premium! My seats ripped and the sunroof leaked anytime it rained and/or took it through the carwash. Also, it approached the 70k mile mark and I noticed my transmission slipping. Time to get out and cut my loses.

On the 4th transmission! Terrible car
By Ericg on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought the car certified pre-owned, THANK GOD. I'm on the 4th transmission - I'm an easy, family driver, this car is terrible from a mechanical standpoint. I've had the front axle replaced, seats breaking after small kids sit on them, emergency brake problems, fuel door breaking, etc., etc. I like the car, but the mechanical problems are simply unacceptable for a car in this price range.......and clearly Volvo/the dealership doesn't care about transmission issues since they are replacing it for the 4th time ON THEIR NICKEL - they said each was a new trans...yeah... Gas mileage is bad, also. All considered, I regret buying this car. My advise is to stay clear, if not, please buy mine!

Worst Vehicle I've EVER Owned
By Sarah on 06/17/10 19:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

This is BY FAR the worst vehicle I've ever owned. The Saturn Vue I had before buying this was more reliable! Unfortunately for me, I was so dazzled by this "Luxury" SUV that I didn't do enough research. I put MORE THAN $12K worth of work in less than 6 months, the last of which was $7,000 for a new transmission that, unbeknownst to me is a HUGE issue with this year, make & model. Volvo is conveniently refusing to acknowledge any of the innumerable consumer complaints- offer any sort of resolve or recall. Trust me I've tried- (I've contacted the Sales Managers of every dealership in the state, and put in a complaint with Headquarters in Sweden) no one cares.

Transmission needed
By Bill on 03/31/10 08:47 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Always had Volvos and this was our first SUV/crossover. Bought used with 55k miles and at 62k needs transmission with a 7K quote. It doesn't have tow package so it was babied by previous owner. Thankfully the dealer is helping make good on this awful vehicle. Test drove others and felt skipping in trans...so never again will we purchase an XC90. And the mpg is among the worst in the crossover line at 14.2 city and 18-19 highway. What a shame because the vehicle is beautiful and comfortable, its just a mechanical nightmare!

Stay Clear
By new jersey on 02/17/10 13:38 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

We bought our xc90 new. Have had a multitude of problems two wheel bearing hubs rear, steering rack, drive shaft, tie rod ends and two transmissions. Funny thing is my mother bought the same car at the same time and had all the same problems and is going for transmission number 3. good luck to all of us who got stuck with the t-6 nightmare!!!!!

Not impressed -
By Chris Martins on 01/10/10 16:30 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

i bought this used with about 33,000 miles on it. It was in the shop about a week after i bought it with many minor problems. I've gone thru tires, ball joints, tie rods, seat heaters, and it goes one. The dash is the exact same dash that is in my wife's Ford Windstar mini van. I the transmission went and i had to wait 4 weeks for a new or rebuilt transmission. The local dealer would not give out a loaner car and is not the best to deal with. I have this car up forsale and i will NEVER by a Volvo again - the loaner i did get for other service repairs were not impressive. I think Volvo will be like Saab before long since Ford is not getting any buyers for Volvo. Wish i bought saab9-7

Unrealistic Expectations
By sean.rowesr on 12/29/09 18:15 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

This is by far the most disappointing vehicle purchase I have made. The transmission has gone out three times in less than 70,000 miles. The radiator and multiple hoses had to be replaced and the maint department at the two Volvo dealerships my car has been towed to were rude and unprofessional. The service department actually told me that my car was poorly built and I'd be better off buying a different vehicle. I was told by the manager that the XC90 is plagued with mechanical flaws and the gentleman that brought my car to me from the shop threw the keys on the counter and walked away without speaking. They didn't even give me a new transmission..they stripped one from a car on the lot!

Safe and solid ride
By Scarlett435 on 12/27/09 09:35 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I love my Volvo SUV! Wish I would have purchased it with the GPS already installed. Have replaced all 4 tires, front & back brakes, front & back rotares, upper engine mount all before 75K miles! But I still love the vehicle.

Do NOT buy a Volvo
By Never again on 11/12/09 10:17 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

My T6 is in the shop for a replacement transmission, now in order to get any warranty they say they must replace the DEFECTIVE radiator. The cost started out at an estimate of $4800 soon it will be over $7000? All of this at just over 100K miles. One should expect at least 150K miles from a car costing nearly $50K new. VOLVO has no Heart no soul and is not built well at all.