Used 2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

XC90 After Chrismas Volvo
By Harry

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased the XC90 December 26, 2004 at the same time gas prices hit $2 a gallon in Las Vegas. My Ford got 13 MPG and I saw the cost only going up. I returned from Phoenix today (9/12/10) and averaged 23.7 MPG with the 2.5 T FWD. It has been a trouble free purchase with the original Michelin tires still on the vichele.

Favorite Features

Leg and Head room-I am 6 ft 7 inches tall and can wear my hat inside the cabin.

Suggested Improvements

Go green with a hybrid; if the 2012/2015 model got 30 mpg I would buy another one.

I WOULD NOT purchase another XC90
By Beckett

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Our lease on the XC90 is up and we won't be leasing a Volvo again. The factory Pirellis lasted 12,000 miles and the replacements are going bald with about 18,000 on them. That's expensive; especially when you add a brake job at 20,000 miles which the warranty fails to cover. Other annoyances are a totally inadequate A/C, a stereo that picks up 1/2 the local stations and seats that don't fold up/down dependably. When compared to the Lexus and Acura automobiles we have owned, the Volvo is equal in price, but NOT EVEN CLOSE in quality. If you are looking at buying an XC90 make sure you get it CHEAP so you can afford the repairs.

Favorite Features

Looks, comfort, safety.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger entry level engine, brakes that last, factory tires that last, A/C for Texas summers, better throttle response, less complicated seats, limited slip differential (so tires don't constantly slip) & gas mileage that beats my Suburban.

Love It!!
By t_hokies

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I laughed at my husband when we bought our first Volvo 3 years ago because we are both country people and this just didn't fit in with the Fords and Dodges the we had prevously owned but now we won't buy anything else. We just recently bought the XC90 and so many of the features sold this SUV to us even after looking at several others on the market. The reliability along with the luxury is hard to find anywhere else. We see ourselves taking a Volvo with us wherever we move. The power behind it is so much better then what I could expect, handles wonderfully on an almost vertical rise.

Favorite Features

Back up sensor, windshield wiper sensor (living in Hawaii, this is a must have), built in booster seat that moves forward, rear radio controls.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I can see is having cooled leather seats along with the heated. Being in Hawaii the leather can get rather hot during the summer causing a not so happy response when sitting down after a day at the beach.

Best Driving Vehicle Ever Owned
By Best Driving Vehicle

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This vehicle was bought used with about 15,000 miles as an early lease return. We have loved the way this SUV drives and it is a true pleasure. This vehicle is the best, smoothest driving vehicle I have ever owned. With about 26 cars, trucks and SUV's owned, that says alot. Performance has been satisfactory with the stock turbo 5- cyl. and have no complaints. Quality of some of the interior has been disappointing however and considering the price when new, is not equal. Body is solid, no problems. Sound system is great! All in all, we are very happy to have bought this SUV, our first Volvo.

Favorite Features

Drive quality is excellent as is stereo, comfortable seating and appearance. Many compliments on looks!

Suggested Improvements

Interior needs better quality and for the price these sell for it is a shame to see it fall apart so easily. Moonroof makes noise, again a shame as I have owned many cars with one and this is the first to be annoying with noise. Get it together Volvo on these!

Excellent Vehicle
By David K

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I consider this vehicle to be the best I've owned. It's classy, comfortable, reliable and economical. On a recent trip, I got 24 MPG on the highway. Typical MPG around town is 19-20. How many other non-hybrid SUVs can do that? I have the 2.5T and though I was concerned a 5 cylinder SUV might be underpowered, I can report positively that it is not. My 18 year old son drives a Jeep Cherokee and he says the acceleration in my vehicle "scares him."

Favorite Features

Creature comforts, well thought out.

Suggested Improvements

Make the scan feature on the radio easier to use. Should be one button like all other vehicles. DO NOT get the Pirelli tires!!!! They're soft and are not good on this vehicle. The dealership replaced mine at their cost because of the rapid degradation.