2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV - Consumer Reviews

2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
XC90 After Chrismas Volvo
By Harry on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased the XC90 December 26, 2004 at the same time gas prices hit $2 a gallon in Las Vegas. My Ford got 13 MPG and I saw the cost only going up. I returned from Phoenix today (9/12/10) and averaged 23.7 MPG with the 2.5 T FWD. It has been a trouble free purchase with the original Michelin tires still on the vichele.

I WOULD NOT purchase another XC90
By Beckett on 01/18/09 17:18 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Our lease on the XC90 is up and we won't be leasing a Volvo again. The factory Pirellis lasted 12,000 miles and the replacements are going bald with about 18,000 on them. That's expensive; especially when you add a brake job at 20,000 miles which the warranty fails to cover. Other annoyances are a totally inadequate A/C, a stereo that picks up 1/2 the local stations and seats that don't fold up/down dependably. When compared to the Lexus and Acura automobiles we have owned, the Volvo is equal in price, but NOT EVEN CLOSE in quality. If you are looking at buying an XC90 make sure you get it CHEAP so you can afford the repairs.

Love It!!
By t_hokies on 06/28/07 02:08 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I laughed at my husband when we bought our first Volvo 3 years ago because we are both country people and this just didn't fit in with the Fords and Dodges the we had prevously owned but now we won't buy anything else. We just recently bought the XC90 and so many of the features sold this SUV to us even after looking at several others on the market. The reliability along with the luxury is hard to find anywhere else. We see ourselves taking a Volvo with us wherever we move. The power behind it is so much better then what I could expect, handles wonderfully on an almost vertical rise.

Best Driving Vehicle Ever Owned
By Best Driving Vehicle on 02/04/07 23:14 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This vehicle was bought used with about 15,000 miles as an early lease return. We have loved the way this SUV drives and it is a true pleasure. This vehicle is the best, smoothest driving vehicle I have ever owned. With about 26 cars, trucks and SUV's owned, that says alot. Performance has been satisfactory with the stock turbo 5- cyl. and have no complaints. Quality of some of the interior has been disappointing however and considering the price when new, is not equal. Body is solid, no problems. Sound system is great! All in all, we are very happy to have bought this SUV, our first Volvo.

Excellent Vehicle
By David K on 10/24/06 07:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I consider this vehicle to be the best I've owned. It's classy, comfortable, reliable and economical. On a recent trip, I got 24 MPG on the highway. Typical MPG around town is 19-20. How many other non-hybrid SUVs can do that? I have the 2.5T and though I was concerned a 5 cylinder SUV might be underpowered, I can report positively that it is not. My 18 year old son drives a Jeep Cherokee and he says the acceleration in my vehicle "scares him."

Worst Car Ever
By discostu on 04/20/06 22:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

So far this is the most expensive, and most unreliable car I've ever owned. It has been TOWED 4 times in 18 months because it just shut off. We bought the car for percieved reliability and safety and have gotten none of the above. The car looks great and is fun to drive, but a car that breaks down all the time defeats the purpose.

Got what I paid for, Volvo XC90
By Jose Cuartero on 04/13/06 18:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Best SUV out there. It is very good looking, reliable and comfortable. It does consume more gas than I would like to, but all of them do anyway.

Volvo XC90 Great
By DKJ on 09/13/05 20:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is our second Volvo and it has been great. Feel very comfortable driving such a safe design vehicle. I used to drive American vehicles before and there is no comparison. The values and solid designs makes it so nice. Many compliments already. Kids love it. Sound system very nice. Wood steering worth it. Adds some elegance. Fuel mileage really is just like other SUVs and better than some.

Awesome vehicle
By KIKI on 08/24/05 15:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I am a 65 year old grandmother and feel really good driving my grandchildren around in this safe vehicle. This is the 6th volvo my immediate family has owned. We love them and "drive them until the wheels fall off." Before this 2005 xc90 my last volvo was a 1997 960. It was awesome too.

Volvo XC90, Happy Customer
By El Paso, TX on 08/01/05 23:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

At first I hesitated before pulling the trigger, now I am glad I did. The kids like the rear DVD player (the wireless headphones are awesome, love the surrond sound system) and the moon roof. It rides like a car not an SUV. I have purchased two Jeep Grand Cheerokes in the past I am glad I made the switch to Volvo. The headlamps exceed my expectations. I feel safe knowing that my wife and kids are protected. Great SUV.