2005 Volvo XC90 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Happy because I bought the model with the good engine!
By rootleaf on 03/01/13 06:34 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We purchased this car a little over one year ago. I never thought we would be a Volvo family but now we are. I was looking to get my wife out of the mini van rutt we had been in since our first child. Now the kids are getting bigger and a van is not so necessary. I bought this car for her as a surprise. I paid 12k for it in Dec. 2011 and it had 100k miles on it then. The timing belt had not been done yet so I had that replaced immediately by our mechanic as well as the water pump and other belts for 500 dollars. Since Dec. 2011 we have not spent one more dollar in maintenance other than oil changes. This car drives great. Read the reviews and be sure you buy the 2.5 turbo engine!

2005 Volvo XC90
By littlerock2 on 07/06/12 19:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought a 2005 Volvo XC90 new in Feb of 2006 at the dealership in Athens GA. In Dec. of 2011, transmission had to be rebuilt at 87,000 miles for $4200 - dealership wanted $6500. Then in April 2012 at 92,000 miles, the engine started knocking - balance rod failure. I looked on line and Volvo has known that both these failures could occur in this make and model. Never did I receive any recall or info. I contacted Volvo of North America who offered no help to pay for these repairs. I did not rebuild engine - would cost almost what car was worth. I sold it to an auction company for $3600. Now drive a Toyota Highlander. Will never trust Volvo again.

First Volvo and very pleased.
By twelborn on 05/17/12 08:22 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I did not ever think that I would be a Volvo driver, but once I took a test drive in this SUV I knew that I had to have it. The comfort that Volvo offers its drivers and passengers is outstanding. Despite the smaller 5-cylinder engine, this car has spunky acceleration and I can manage decent fuel economy for this size of a vehicle if driven properly. I have only been driving it for about 1 1/2 months, but I have had no problems so far and this car was meticulously maintained with its previous owner so there are no problems that I anticipate should happen.

Do Not Buy This Car
By jennelle on 04/25/12 12:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Do not buy this car. I bought brand new from the Ontario dealer. I have had one problem after another. However, I only have 700 characters here. Most were minor but annoying since my closest dealer is 1 1/2 hrs away and they don't offer authorized repair anywhere but at a Volvo dealership. Now at just 60,000 miles the transmission and drive shaft have to be replaced to the tune of $5000+. If the dealer does the repairs is $8000 . And Volvo won't help one bit. Talking to my local mechanic and reading the blogs the Volvo SUV have had a lot of major mechanical problems. Do your research... do not buy a Volvo SUV you will be sorry.

Availability of parts
By sportette on 05/09/11 06:42 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my XC 90 used, 29,000 miles on it. I hit a deer December 26th. It is now May 9th and I am still waiting for parts that the dealership says are on order. I do have the car because the missing parts do not affect the drivability. I still find this amount of time excessive. I do love the car and have always wanted a Volvo. I have had electrical issues with the radio changing stations by itself, doors locking by themselves or not wanting to unlock. I have not been able to figure out how to program the visor buttons to open our garage door. I cannot find the section that covers this in my owner's manual. I am also disappointed in the gas mileage.

I Will Miss It
By volvo4life2 on 03/09/11 01:44 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

After proudly owning a 2005 for 3 years and 35,000 miles, I will be switching over to a 2006 S60. After living in a large city for about a year now, I can no longer handle the 12 mpg that the V8 provided me in the city, and the parking. BUT don't get me wrong I drove my car from 67,000 to 96,000 miles. I loved every second of it. It was the SAFEST car on the road. If you don't believe me, check out the Volvo Saved my life club. I am slightly worried that the S60 won't be as safe. I had the Navigation System, TV's and Parking sensors. Never used the TV's but the nav system and parking sensors daily. Two more things I will be without, sadly

V8 Engine Is Prone to Catastrophic Failure
By jdcarcollector on 03/04/11 19:02 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Last week, our 2005 Volvo XC90 V8 'died' in an intersection. The dealer explained the engine had a 'catastrophic failure' and was "dead". I was told the battery was dead and there is no compression -- air blew through the engine. I asked how this could possibly have happened to a car that has undergone every Volvo dealer service, including one just 45 days ago. The dealer was courteous but explained the car required a new engine which costs $15,000. Google "Volvo Yamaha V8 Failure" and you'll come across numerous people discussing catastrophic failures thanks to the timing chain breaking. Volvo has not undertaken a recall.

Worste SUV in the market
By vito9 on 02/26/11 11:05 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have never in my life experienced such a disastrous SUV. It is not reliable at all and the slogan "Volvo for life" is crap and does not mean anything for me as a T6 owner. I dont know where to start. New transmission at 80k, new steering rack a bit later, new hatch lock, tie rods, stabilizer links, ball bearings, joints, new breaks after 30k, leaking coolant, defective coolant lines and tubes, leaking windshield washer (broken tubes). This SUV is crap. NEVER, NEVER buy a volvo again! I had one before but this is the last time i am walking into the Volvo dealership to buy anything. I dont really like Japanese cars but the truth is that they are reliable!

My Big Mistake! Take our advice!
By crawfojj on 01/25/11 09:12 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Yeah, so I got married and thought about getting into a family style vehicle. But, I wanted something with a little spunk to it. I opted for a used 2004 Volvo XC90 T6. Yikes! Bad call on that! I owned it for 6 months...and although I didn't have to take it to the shop at all it wasn't fun in the least bit. It had good size and visability and I def felt safe...but that's it. Gas mileage was HORRIBLE! And it ain't cheap considering you have to use premium! My seats ripped and the sunroof leaked anytime it rained and/or took it through the carwash. Also, it approached the 70k mile mark and I noticed my transmission slipping. Time to get out and cut my loses.

You Might Get Lucky !
By AJ on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

My 2005 XC 90 is reliable most of the time but, when something goes wrong cross your fingers you have warrenty. It's well built to a point. Of all the suv's I've had. (Yukon,Envoy,Range Rover,and Audi Q7) I rather own a Volvo. It still needs to be a better drivers car. Some more handling upgrades needed. Just don't ever purchase a Range Rover!