Used 2005 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo XC90 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Comfortable car, but it's a money trap!
By Lora

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

We purchased the 2005 Volvo xc90 in 2011 when it was 6 years old for $9000 which is great compared to the original ticket price of $47,000 when it was new. We bought it knowing the the 3rd row seat would not fold down. Other than that it looked great. We averaged about 16-17 mpg combined. The car itself is very comfortable but after a year of owning it, the electrical system began to fail. The dashboard would turn off while driving, the radio broke, and the windows wouldn't stay up. When we took it into the volvo dealership, they kept it for almost two weeks and finally (rudely) told us they could not figure out what the problem was. They also told us the 3rd row seat may cost up to $1000 to repair. A year later, we had problems with the almost brand new brakes. We had to have them replaced as well as all four of the $200 tires because of uneven wear. Recently, after a routine visit to the mechanic, we found out the the power steering needed to be replaced as well as the heavily fogged over headlight lamps which would cost us $2000. That was the breaking point for us and we decided to trade it in. On the way to the dealership the brakes gave out. They hesitated to give us $1000 trade in. This vehicle has been a money trap. Although the car is a comfortable ride and has an attractive interior, it is not worth the investment. Stay away. There is a reason these xc90's don't hold their value.

Happy because I bought the model with the good engine!
By rootleaf

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We purchased this car a little over one year ago. I never thought we would be a Volvo family but now we are. I was looking to get my wife out of the mini van rutt we had been in since our first child. Now the kids are getting bigger and a van is not so necessary. I bought this car for her as a surprise. I paid 12k for it in Dec. 2011 and it had 100k miles on it then. The timing belt had not been done yet so I had that replaced immediately by our mechanic as well as the water pump and other belts for 500 dollars. Since Dec. 2011 we have not spent one more dollar in maintenance other than oil changes. This car drives great. Read the reviews and be sure you buy the 2.5 turbo engine!

Turbo boost, not bad on gas. Easy on the wallet so far, has not been one issue since we purchased it. This is due to it being the 2.5l 5 cylinder model. The T6 and v8 have nothing but troubles so steer clear and get the 2.5T and your buying a bullet proof volvo motor. Luxurious appointed interior that is very comfortable on long drives up and down the east coast. Really feels like it grasps the road. Feeling of complete safety in handling. Nice leather and wood trim. Paint job holding up well. No mechanical issues. Can handle driving a family of 5 from NC to FL then back with luggage comfortably. Great move up from a mini van!

We have had it one year and added about 15k miles to it. The tires were brand new when we bought it, and we already are buying a new set today. Of course this is AWD so it was expected to wear down tires faster. This could also be attributed to the previous owner put the cheapest Kumho tires on the market on it before selling so the treadwear life expectancy wasnt much for the cheap tires. Just put a set of Cooper CS4 on it today so they should last a lot longer this go round.

2005 Volvo XC90
By littlerock2

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought a 2005 Volvo XC90 new in Feb of 2006 at the dealership in Athens GA. In Dec. of 2011, transmission had to be rebuilt at 87,000 miles for $4200 - dealership wanted $6500. Then in April 2012 at 92,000 miles, the engine started knocking - balance rod failure. I looked on line and Volvo has known that both these failures could occur in this make and model. Never did I receive any recall or info. I contacted Volvo of North America who offered no help to pay for these repairs. I did not rebuild engine - would cost almost what car was worth. I sold it to an auction company for $3600. Now drive a Toyota Highlander. Will never trust Volvo again.

Loved the way it drives and rides.

Volvo needs to take responsibility for the quality of their vehicles. I never thought when I bought the car I would have a major mechanical failure at 87,000 and another at 92,000 miles.

First Volvo and very pleased.
By twelborn

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I did not ever think that I would be a Volvo driver, but once I took a test drive in this SUV I knew that I had to have it. The comfort that Volvo offers its drivers and passengers is outstanding. Despite the smaller 5-cylinder engine, this car has spunky acceleration and I can manage decent fuel economy for this size of a vehicle if driven properly. I have only been driving it for about 1 1/2 months, but I have had no problems so far and this car was meticulously maintained with its previous owner so there are no problems that I anticipate should happen.

I love the seats, they are extremely comfortable, plush, and supportive. The sound system provides very clear and defined audio and combined with the equalizer options, this audio system is comparable to name-brand sound systems. Lots of cargo room. I also like the split-opening rear tailgate.

The only thing I wish this car had was a way to have an auxiliary jack for using an MP3 player, but the 6-disc CD changer allows me to have a variable selection of music, so this makes not being able to use an MP3 player not as missed.

Do Not Buy This Car
By jennelle

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Do not buy this car. I bought brand new from the Ontario dealer. I have had one problem after another. However, I only have 700 characters here. Most were minor but annoying since my closest dealer is 1 1/2 hrs away and they don't offer authorized repair anywhere but at a Volvo dealership. Now at just 60,000 miles the transmission and drive shaft have to be replaced to the tune of $5000+. If the dealer does the repairs is $8000 . And Volvo won't help one bit. Talking to my local mechanic and reading the blogs the Volvo SUV have had a lot of major mechanical problems. Do your research... do not buy a Volvo SUV you will be sorry.

do not buy this car