2004 Volvo XC90 Consumer Review: Great Family SUV

2004 Volvo XC90 - Consumer Review

2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic)

Great Family SUV
By PWD2008 on

2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Have owned my XC90 for 6 years and worked through several minor but aggravating issues while under warranty. I bought the XC90 for Volvo's reputation for safety and reliability, styling, and comfort. I'm very satisfied overall performance and this is one of the best highway vehicles I've owned. The ride is smooth and the 5 cylinder engine is responsive enough for all my needs. On the reliability side, I believe Ford took several cost savings measures and put cheap parts into a high end vehicle. e.g. headlamp cover pitting, rear wheel bearing wear, lug nuts rusting, and electronics problems. Very aggravating.. My 2nd vehicle (Honda Element)is more reliable at 1/2 the price

Styling and Interior comfort. The 3rd row seating is one the best and very comfortable for even extended drives. Safety features are well designed and the XC90 handled very well recently when I hit roadside debris which punctured both passenger side tires and wheels while going 65mph.

Ford needs to redesign the weak parts and solve these aggravating problems. It should stand behind it products even when out of warranty. People buy vehicles expecting to 10-15 years of life without major failures. Without excellent customer service, repeat business will be hard to attract.