Used 2004 Volvo XC90 SUV Consumer Reviews - 379 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Good for the kids
By Aronky

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is built very well and feels great to drive. Rides really good, and is great for hauling around kids and stuff. Love the split tailgate and the really supportive seats. Great for long trips, but would recommend the larger engine this 2.5L inline 5 is very sluggish but gets the job done if its just for driving the kids around.

Sunroof, great price, long lasting, and build quality is immaculate.

Larger third row seat

250,000 Miles
By LJ

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

My fiance's 2004 T6 AWD Volvo has 250,000 miles and it drives like it's brand new. It's had no problems (just regular maintenance). He changes the oil regularly and uses premium gas. His dad (a small business owner) has two newer Volvos he purchased as company cars that have also racked up some miles, and they also drive wonderfully. My fiance and his dad absolutely love Volvo XC90's and this lead me to purchase one for myself. I recently bought a used 2004 2.5T FWD with 53,000 miles and I love it so far. I hope she also makes it to 250,000!

Heated seats, beautiful interior/exterior

I loved that car...
By NavyMom

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Overall I had an excellent experience with my Volvo XC90. I had some of the same issues in that I had to replace the brake pads and tires frequently, but I do mostly city driving with a lot of stop and go. I had no major problems until December of 2009. The check engine light went on. It was time for the 60,000 mile tune-up and when they changed the spark plugs and coil, everything was fine for about 2 weeks. Then the engine light came back on. It took an overnight stay and a cold start for them to find the issue;a cracked gasket head!! There had been no warning signs, no running it hot, nothing! The repair cost of $6000 made me decide to trade it for the new XC60 T6 AWD. I miss it :(

Loved it all except: poor gas mileage,small gas tank, brake pad and tire replacement was costly too.

NEVER will we buy a Volvo again..
By Jen

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I am the original owner of this car. We paid MSRP (I know, I know). The car is loaded and was fabulous for about a year. We have had to replace all four tires 4 times, brakes 4 times, transmission, rear bearings.. engine problems, key fob problems, seat belt problem, water leaking... You name it, we've had it. The ONLY thing we did right was buy the extended warranty. Has saved us $10k, easily.

What A Joke
By David

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased the Volvo XC90 for safety and reliability. The air conditioner has died three times, the engine blew up when the service department turned off the service light, leather seat split at the seams at 80,000 miles, font head lights faded and had to be replaced at 60,000 miles. There are no after market parts, Volvo stands behind its product as little as possible and charges $1,000.00 for just about everything. Even the key broke and thy charged $300 for a new one.

Good to look at from a distance but if you knew how horrible it was.....

Build a quality vehicle that is not expensive to maintain. Volve built its reputation on quality and safety and if the safety is anything like the quality they are in big trouble.