2004 Volvo XC90 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
I love my Volvo!
By Marcia B Howard on 10/19/07 06:32 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have almost 65,000 miles on my 2004 XC90. It has been a great SUV. It handles well in traffic and can carry 7 people comfortably. I usually have the 2 back seats down and use the extra room for hauling 2 kids and their "stuff " around town. There are blind spots but I purchased small mirrors that I put on the side view mirrors and that has helped considerably.

Good but not great
By mark on 07/30/07 12:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

There is nothing wrong with the XC90. But then again, there's nothing great. Acceleration has a lag but is OK. Third row is a great concept, but very difficult to get into. Don't even ask about third row leg room! Gas mileage is good for a 2 1/2 ton vehicle. Build feels rugged and well constructed. Features like rear audio controls is good. It's an OK vehicle. The question is whether it is worth $40K+?

Won't do that again
By JohnK on 07/13/07 07:40 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

We bought the vehicle as a CPO and it's a good thing we did. Steering rack replaced at 40K. Audio system failed at 48K. Steering wheel began to come loose at 52K. The vehicle is quirky. Seat memory linked to key fob seems to have mind of its own. There is no power to the pass. seat with ignition off. Lumbar adjusted by a difficult to turn, knuckle scraping knob. Refrigerant can be heard running through the lines as the A/C compressor cycles on and off. Very good sound from the audio system but menus navigation / display leave a lot to be desired.

A quite perfect Volvo
By jojo on 04/09/07 07:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Have this car for 4 yrs now. Overall, it's an excellent Volvo. Did great in snow and ice. Extremely safe, wonderful turbo power. Body roll is acceptable for SUV this size. This car is so easy to manuever even in tight corners that even my wife loves it. It is not a BMW X5, but it is somewhat fun to drive. It does have below average MPG over the 4yrs, it is 16/18 MPG.

I love my 2004 2.5T FWD XC-90.
By AJ on 01/23/07 17:55 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought it 1/06 like 3 weeks ago. We own a Volvo 1994 850 T-5 and have been happy with. The XC90 is awesome both interior and exterior. We bought a used one that came from a 3 year lease and it had 68k miles on it. Even with this high miles the SUV drives,looks and feels brand new. I already flushed the tranny fluid and it was dirty. Don't wait until 90 miles to do the flush. Flush it every 45-50k miles. I noticed some people have negative things to say about the XC90 but I love it and I only spent 16k for it ;-) Take care of the car and should last a long time. The 2.5T have great engine and tranny but the T-6 have a bad 4 speed GM tranny and are known to go bad.

2004 XC90 T6
By Andy on 01/03/07 12:23 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I purchased this car used in 2006 for my wife. It is a great family suv. My wife does not like large vehicles and the XC90 has been an easy adjustment for her, It drives more like a car than truck or big SUV. The pros of the XC90 are a good ride, good handling, and a comfortable interior. The cons of this vehicle are poor fuel economy (16mpg city 21mpg hwy) combined with a small gas tank. The range on the XC90 is about 300-350 miles.

Nice vehicle
By mom on 11/20/06 20:18 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

It has been a great car. We bought one that was fully loaded. Only complaint is that we don't live near a dealer so have to travel for service. We have really felt safe in this car. We had to have break pads replaced too. We think because the car is heavy (for safety) and we live where there are lots of hills.

xc90 still a good bet after 2 yr
By Susan on 11/11/06 11:39 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my first Volvo and it has not disappointed. It was purchased for overall safety reasons, and it has been very reliable in the 2 years that I have had it. It is a pleasure to drive. The only problem with performance is the get up and go. It is a little sluggish. The vehicle doesn't get too bad gas mileage. I have been getting 19 mpg in the city and 22-23 on the highway.

Happy CX90 Owner
By J Knowles on 10/14/06 07:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

As my first experience owning an SUV, I was worried about handling the size. This Volvo XC90 has been wonderful. The narrower build makes the vehicle handle more like a car. At the same time, the three rows of seating have given our family of five all the comfort and convenience we wanted. We highly recommend the vehicle.

First Volvo owned
By config on 10/06/06 11:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

We love the styling and performance of the XC90 but it hasn't really been trouble-free especially considering the price and class it's in. Although minor, we had to replace the horn, headlamp wiring harness, a bad sensor which caused hard starting and a transmission seal gasket (had minor leak). All taken cared by the warranty but it makes you wonder how reliable and expensive it will be to maintain after the warranty expires. Of course, nothing is trouble-free but overall we are happy with the vehicle