2004 Volvo XC90 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Family of six
By mjs on 08/17/08 06:12 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Owned the car for four years and very satisfied with performance and reliability. Perfect sized. Not too big or small. Four children and both parents travel regularly in it.

Volvo XC 90 T6 Turbo AWD Fantastic!
By Elizabeth on 07/21/08 11:11 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I purchased my Volvo XC90 4 years ago, and I'm very happy with my decision. For a large SUV, this one drives smoothly - not like a truck. It's very easy to handle. The steering/turning radius is incredible; it turns on a dime. Contrary to a couple of the reviews here, my experience with the acceleration is very positive. I find that there's no lag time between braking and resuming driving. In fact, when the light turns green, my XC90 gets the jump on cars beside me (and I don't floor it). Although I have the third row, I mostly keep it down; my family is able to take long trips with seemingly no end to the cargo space. While no gas-saver, I get around 19 city and 23 highway.

Best vehicle I've ever owned!
By Mary on 07/14/08 06:32 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My XC90 gets 20.8 MPG on the highway, and about 19 MPG in the city. It has always been solid and reliable in the rain and even occasional ice storm. It burns regular, is great for making large item shoppoing trips, has plenty of power for acceleration and passing, and it handles better than my previous Mercedes CLK 320! Something to keep in mind about gas mileage is that you have to let the car break in! This car only got 14.5 MPG for about the first 3 weeks of regular driving, but the benefits were definitely worth the wait.

XC90
By Kelley Gordon on 05/28/08 19:50 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I feel weight off my shoulders- I sold my Volvo last weekend for a Subaru Outback. In spite of poor SUV value it was relief to be rid of the constant maintenance. I bought it as a new mom hoping for the reliabilty and safety Volvo is known for--instead I spent literally every week at Volvo servicing another check engine light, gasket loose, a power source issue, a low voltage warning...you name it. I spent more time arranging childcare for my trips to the dealership than I did driving my children in it. It makes me so angry because I worked hard saving to buy this "high quality" vehicle for my family. I wish Volvo understood or cared how diappointed I am.

I love my Volvo!
By FLRich on 03/20/08 20:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

After driving Acuras for years, this is my first Volvo. Although I love Acuras and their reliability, the Acura MDX is just ugly! I love the way the Volvo looks, handles, rides, and the gas mileage is great for a SUV. So far the reliability has been up to par with my Acuras. I love my Volvo. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Continually Frustrated with XC90
By Mike_AnnArbor on 02/17/08 04:44 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

For a $40K+ Auto, I'm extremely disappointed with the number of times I've had to take it in for repairs. The engine & body have been reliable - only 2 or 3 service calls in those areas. The problems with electronics have been numerous. Examples: - New software to close windows properly - Ship CD player back to Sweden to retrieve stuck CDs (10 weeks) - Car doors mysteriously lock themselves - Seats loose their memory every month - Disable intermittent wipers - they go crazy on sunny days Every time we take it to Sesi Volvo, they insist there is nothing wrong. We need to insist they look for service note and they usually find th

Good Vehicle
By Davey60 on 01/27/08 18:47 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought this as a CPO after my Highlander was totaled - was looking for a little bigger SUV. I am not disapointed. Did lots a research on the SUV and knew enough to stay away from the T6 with its trannsmission problems.

Do not even consider this car
By Ken K on 12/30/07 07:20 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have had this car for nearly four years. From the beginning it has had problems with multiple noises, loose fittings, frequent brake repairs, poor shifting with multiple volvo attmempts to correct, front suspension problems, horrendous brake dust, and the list goes on. If you like visiting the repair shop frequently, this is the car for you

Edmund's Helped Me Make The Right Choice
By Diane on 12/12/07 15:55 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I did my research before buying our 2007 Volvo XC90. Needed an AWD and wanted a safe and roomy ride for our grandchild. Edmunds really helped in the process of elimination and we are so happy we chose (and found) a Volvo. Thanks!

Very happy with my 04 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD
By volvolover on 11/19/07 11:28 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

All in all I have been very satisfied with my XC90. I looked around for a while for good cars, and was told that the comfort of the car is very good. Every time I drive, the safety features give me a peace of mind, when I have my 3 kids in the car. For transportation needs, me and my husband settled on the 3 row seater, which is actually comfortable, considering most crossovers have a very uncomfortable third row. The gas mileage is pretty good at around 20 city and 24-25 highway. It is wonderful.