Used 2004 Volvo XC90 SUV Consumer Reviews - 379 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Transmission's awful!
By T6 VOLVO

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

We bought our 2004 xc90 nov. 2007 with 57,000 and it has been a great SUV. Very strong but when the transmission light went on at 87,000 I was not a happy customer. We called the Volvo dealer and they told us to bring it in. They were very helpful and we have a "brand new" transmission at no cost, yet it doesn't have "manual" anymore. a lot of drama but it's driving well and I cant complain

Xenon headlights, leather seats , and the turbo when it works.

better turbo, engine and transmission.

Don't Buy
By MTG

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I would not buy this vehicle again. Have replaced almost the entire suspension of the this vehicle and the transmission failed twice, once at 60K miles and again 6 months later. As other customers have said, the customer service was awful.

Cosmetic features and comfort

reliability and customer service

Good but not a great car.
By Maxr

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Good car we have had this car for almost 7 years so far it is a good enjoyable car so far the brakes are squeaking we have put it in to many repair shops but it is still squeaking but like all volvos it is safe and/or good in comfort

Riding so smooth then clunk!Tranny!
By Findurresolve

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

This vehicle is hands down the most elegant, smooth, and did I say smooth vehicle I have ever driven. The seats are so comfy, and the steering wheel just feels like silk! But then the transmission issue. Do not buy a t6 awd unless it has had the transmission upgrade! I bought one used now I'm looking at $8,000.00 in repairs. Volvo knows it's a huge prob and will pay for parts in some cases.

Smooth ride, classy style, rear 2nd row sliding and reclining seats!

Transmission, DVD player in my 2004 restarts movie when you turn car off..

Never again will I buy a Volvo! Hate it!
By DomandKim

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I hate this car! Bought new, all options but the GPS, over $50K. At 200 miles needed a new fuel tank, original was cracked. Here's what went wrong: Xenon headlight fogged replaced, almost killed myself because they were pointing down, night visibility after reinstall of the new ones was 10 feet! Then the tail lights leaked filled with water, replaced, power steering unit, replaced, computer replaced, fuel tank door fell off 2X's, windshield wipers broke, CD player and back-up signal beeper stopped working, brakes after 20K miles, tires every 22K miles, water filled the roof, wanted $900 to remove interior to let it "dry out"! Suspension bushings needed replacement, & on & on. I HATE IT!

Looks, ride, quietness, other than that, it's a piece of you know what, highly overrated. Volvo should be totally embarrassed. I see others who own them and think, what a sap like me. Has zero interior storage, find a place for your cell phone and then you Wonder what to do with your sunglasses!

Drive a Honda and Nissan you amateur Volvo engineers and take notes, (what a bunch of dummies). Never again! I could kick myself!