2004 Volvo XC90 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Smooth cruiser
By carnut on 12/27/08 07:11 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

This is our 6th Volvo. Smooth and comfortable on the highway. We keep up with the maintenance and have the transmission fluid flushed annually. Best mileage was 23.4 mpg on the highway with premium 93. Most filling stations add 10% ethanol now which has lowered our fuel economy averages.

I love my XC90
By Robert on 12/23/08 19:33 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my third Volvo and my favorite. I love the space and everything about it. The white paint and excellent leather still look new. This is nicest vehicle I have owned and I have a few SUVs, even a 2006 Pathfinder, that was not near as nice. I understand two different vehicles, but the Volvo definitely fits me.

Driven over 115,000 miles
By dough on 12/01/08 13:22 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

If the headlight covers were not so pitted, it would still look new, inside and out. After 60,000 miles I started changing my own oil and at 105,000 had that service done by a pro. We have the 2.5 and I wish it would shift to 5th gear earlier than it does. Otherwise, we just drive the thing. I have read a lot of reviews and we have not had the issues some reviewers note. Had a couple of issues that the dealer took care of. Does what I want. Looks fine in the driveway, starts and goes when we want. I carry most of the stuff. Level floor works like a mini van. Hope to get another 100,000 miles before replacing. Replaced front brake pads at 70,000 miles

117,000 and going strong
By LARRY on 11/07/08 11:53 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have read 20 pages of reviews and wonder how I managed to get one of the good ones. I get in, start the engine, engage the transmission and go. We have been doing this for 117K miles. Replace tires every 40,000 miles, front brake pads at 72K miles and timing belt at 111K (scheduled maintenance). I suppose I must have low expectations because we have been satisfiew with this vehicle. This is my 4th Volvo and the most user friendly. Not as fast as our S80 t but more practical. Our other vehicle is a 2000 BMW Z3 so when more than two go, this is the horse we ride. I average 21 mpg, not great but without a car payment ( do not feel the need to replace every 3 years)

What a Mistake
By BrianL on 11/05/08 11:07 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't. This vehicle has been nothing but problems. Brakes wear too fast, the first brake job was at 6,000 miles, I have 23,000 and need new rotors and pads. The steering makes noise and has always, I was told it was normal. Then after the warranty was up I had to have the front steering fixed, ball joints and the rack. now the steering only makes fluid noise but still a pain. The radio is the worst ever. The best part is the safety, but with the poor fuel economy, the multiple problems, the very poor resale value I should have went with the BMW. For some reason my wife wants to keep it. I can only expect more problems as time goes on.

Here's a little history
By chriswhiston on 10/30/08 15:27 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I should have seen the sign. When I went to buy the car back in 2004, I had picked out the exact model I wanted, then while I was filling out paperwork, I was notified one of the doors did not open. After another Identical model was found, I took it home. 8500 miles later it needed brakes. Seats showed wear at 10000 miles. Then soon after, the passenger door started popping open. There have been numerous leaks, including a cracked power steering reservoir. Many noises started popping up, a transmission leak appeared, the Volvo dealership rarely fixed problems the first time. Now, because of this, at 47000 miles, the car is in need of a new transmission. Volvo now must replace the radiator.

Love my Volvo
By Cape Cod on 10/27/08 19:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

From the first day I bought the car it has been great. I have to take it on long trips and I've always felt safe even in some bad storms. I have a very steep driveway and in the winter the car handles it fine. It has great gas mileage for the size and comfort of the car. It still looks like new in and out. I'm looking to buy another one.

Extended Warrenty saves the day
By Lemon on 09/12/08 06:46 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

This car is in the shop about once a month. Luckily we bought the extended service warranty as the build quality is on par with some of the first generation Korean models. Some the failures are real safety concerns. I guess the positive if the parts do fail and result in accident you know you will be safe.

Loved this car!
By jena on 09/06/08 14:50 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Bought this car used a year ago with ~30K miles on it to replace a '00 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I loved the XC90. It is so fun to drive, looks great, has great options (heated seats, navi, dvd, wood steering wheel, etc), was comfortable to sit in, and had no big problems. Only in the shop once when I thought it was making a funny noise. Dealership was great, it was still under warranty so they fixed noise and a couple other things (stereo light had gone out). Had two kids with car seats in the 2nd row. Access to the 3rd row was hard, but you really can't fit a human being in the 3rd row anyway. Better to keep the 3rd row down for more cargo room. Sadly totaled this car but it kept us safe!

Man, I hate this car
By Heath Kinsland on 08/30/08 19:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This was purchased as my wife's car but she got tired of it and is now driving my Tahoe and I am stuck (read upside down) in this thing. Rides great on the highway including good gas mileage but around town the turbo lag is just unacceptable. There is no storage inside in areas like the console and the stereo is not adaptable to adding bluetooth or XM/Sirius. Additionally, the controls for the stereo are not very intuitive making it difficult to operate. The rain-sensing wipers don't seem to follow any kind of consistent operating process. To many plastic pieces that seem to break and the cost of replacement parts are out of hand. $180 for a headlight bulb is completely crazy!