Used 2004 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

2004 Volvo XC90 Transmission Issues
By FIOSWA

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have an 04 Volvo XC90 and had the bad experience of the Transmission Service Urgent light coming on and the vehicle putting itself into "limp mode" to stop further damage. Of all the blogs I read after this happened, most of them had negative outcomes as far as support from Volvo. I had a great experience and wanted to share that Volvo covered 100% of my damages. I am getting a new transmission, new radiator and new lines installed. I called Volvo's customer service line. I was assigned a customer care rep that was extremely pleasant and helpful. She worked with the Volvo dealer and I had a response in 2 hours of the 100% coverage including the diagnostic fee. Volvo: 1-800-458-1552

Love my car, so happy it will be fixed and running well again. It had 85k miles on it and the extended warranty had expired 4 months prior to the transmission failure. If you have a bad tranny you also need new lines and a new radiator because the trans fluid has been leaking into the radiator.

The Volvo dealer stated it was the 04 and 05 tranny's that were bad. They have since fixed the issue and are willing to look at each case of bad transmissions to see if they are willing to provide "goodwill assistance", which they did for me. Otherwise it would have been over $8k in damages. Than

Good Car
By Jackchez

2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We have the 2.5L turbo. It has been very good with only minor repairs. Tires and front brakes at 45000 miles. I dont know why others say tires every 22000 miles. A pleasure to drive and will keep it for another 10 years!

Good mileage. HWY 25+MPG

Volvo is Swedish for junk
By Sucker Punched

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Volvo is Swedish for junk. Worst car I have ever owned. Horrible service - Constantly breaking down. Needs a new transmission at less than 60,000 miles. New Turbo's. New head gasket. Burns through tires, oil, and brake pads, latches and locks have broken. If you are looking to be unhappy about your ride it is the car for you! Remember, friends don't let friends by Volvos! If you buy one of these cars there is one of you born every second (sucker) otherwise Volvo would go the way of Dodo bird.

Putting it in a junk yard and never seeing it again!

As I can attest the best improvement is to save yourself the grief and not buy a Volvo. This and as far as I can tell all Volvo's are horrible cars!

Would you believe?
By nick B

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

From the beginning gas leak inside the car repaired by dealer. General western warranty all but worthless on most costly parts. Spring seats not covered. Electronic module not covered ABS not covered. Cost thousand of dollars. Every maintenance check is $400 or more, and you must maintain or waste warranty. Is that reliability in our auto world today?

Transmission's awful!
By T6 VOLVO

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

We bought our 2004 xc90 nov. 2007 with 57,000 and it has been a great SUV. Very strong but when the transmission light went on at 87,000 I was not a happy customer. We called the Volvo dealer and they told us to bring it in. They were very helpful and we have a "brand new" transmission at no cost, yet it doesn't have "manual" anymore. a lot of drama but it's driving well and I cant complain

Xenon headlights, leather seats , and the turbo when it works.

better turbo, engine and transmission.

• SUV