2004 Volvo XC90 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Have NOT Experienced Any Negatives
By Jack on 11/02/09 10:42 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

My wife and I ordered our XC-90 through a local dealership then went over to Sweden to test drive it for a week. Volvo shipped it back for us 10 days later. The vehicle has been perfect for the past 6 years. I am however, quite concerned with all the negative reviews here. Of all the vehicles I've owned throughout my life, I must admit that this XC-90 beats them all by far.

Proud to Drive my Volvo
By vmcdevitt on 10/25/09 18:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought my car new and have been very proud of it, and have really enjoyed driving it. Will be passing it along to my 16 year old son and am confident it will be a safe and reliable car for him. It's the first car I've owned past 2 years (we're on year 6, mile 90K+) by choice. I haven't found anything else I'd rather own.

Transmission exploded after one month
By bp on 10/23/09 11:51 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Do not buy this year xc90 under ANY circumstances. Had it one and a half months, transmission exploded. Car has low miles (45,000) and I bought the aftermarket warranty. They will not cover the loss due to a clip failure in the transmission, which fails due to a too short lube tube from the pan. Thumbs way down.

Volvo for life? Not a long one.
By Matt T on 09/29/09 10:18 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

This car looks great, seats 7 semi- comfortably, is great in the snow, and will spend as much time in the shop as on the road. O2 sensors out at 50k. Spark plugs needed replaced at 50k. Transmission needed replaced at 61k. Volvo service won't stand behind the car. I was told directly that "Volvo for life" is "Just a slogan." Don't let the pretty looks and solid reputation fool you. The newer Volvos are trouble. Expensive trouble at that.

Radio Problems
By Ron on 07/10/09 11:39 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My XC-90 has had very unusual problems, so the dealer informs me. One month out of warranty, the rear bearings needed to be replaced. The headlight covers are pitted and dis colored. The wheel nuts had to be replaced twice. The first time for rust the second time for wear???? The very last repair and most upsetting was for a new infotainment module. The problem began when the radio began looking like a disco. The lights began flashing and periodically the radio would shut off and the display would go blank. I can live without the radio, but when this problem corrupted the Air bag system to the point it might not work, I had to have it fixed at a cost of$1350.00 Volvo would do nothing

Great Family SUV!
By SonnyH on 06/15/09 08:32 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this XC90 from an original owner about 2 months ago with a little over 80K on it. The XC90 is a very tight/safe ride to be in. Before searching for an SUV I've looked at the Sequoia, MDX and Pilot (all good cars) but at the end decided to purchase the XC90. The main reason for that was the safety features (curtain airbags on all seating rows) and how stable the car handles on the road especially at high speed.

STAY AWAY FROM XC90 T6 MODEL!!!
By Rich on 06/10/09 23:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Worst and final Volvo I will own. I purchased i in 2007, NOTHING but trouble. Over 2,500 in repairs to front end, and then the transmission went at 79k At this point I traded it in on a Chevy Tahoe Z71. Much happier and haven't had nearly as much trouble. Volvo customer service and dealership were horrible. I have owned 4 Volvo's and after this experience I will never buy Volvo again. Nothing but problems. VERY dissatisfied.

XC90 + Extended Warranty = Happy Driver
By SafeDriver on 04/01/09 14:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I really like my XC90. While it has had some minor issues, overall it has been a pleasure to own. After driving this vehicle in LA, i got rear ended badly (the Lexus was totaled that hit me) and my XC90 was a tank. I can't say enough good things about his vehicle.

Never again
By Trispace on 03/04/09 14:26 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We purchased this car because my wife always wanted a Volvo. This vehicle has been nothing but trouble. Every three months something new is going wrong. A visit to the Dealership is going to be a minimum $500 and has been as high as $2500. Brakes,wheel bearings, oxygen sensor, sway bar, you name it. Every time the Service light comes on a Volvo certified dealership is required to reset it. Beware

Volvo XC 90 T6 Still Loving It
By TAK on 01/22/09 05:01 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

We bought this car new. This has been my favorite car to drive. We bought it because it had all the safety features that we wanted which were ahead of it's time, it's nice size, and it's towing capacity. Despite the practical reasons for buying this car, it is fun! The power is incredible. It has phenomenal acceleration even at high speeds on the highway. It is usually no contest, even against other sport sedans. I have had this car for five years and 80,000 miles. It is the only car that I have loved for more than a couple years, and it is just as fun as the day we bought it.