2004 Volvo XC90 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Volvo
By VolvoSucks on 03/12/10 20:08 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Do NOT, NOT buy this model. I got it with little more than 80Kmiles, for less than 3 months and I am experiencing severe transmission problems. I made some research about this type of problem and it seems that most XC90s, specially 2005 and early have this transmission problem. The worst part is that the warranty I bought it with, will not cover until after 90days of the purchase. It was a good car until the transmission issue experience.

Good for the kids
By Aronky on 02/24/10 19:59 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is built very well and feels great to drive. Rides really good, and is great for hauling around kids and stuff. Love the split tailgate and the really supportive seats. Great for long trips, but would recommend the larger engine this 2.5L inline 5 is very sluggish but gets the job done if its just for driving the kids around.

250,000 Miles
By LJ on 02/24/10 08:29 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

My fiance's 2004 T6 AWD Volvo has 250,000 miles and it drives like it's brand new. It's had no problems (just regular maintenance). He changes the oil regularly and uses premium gas. His dad (a small business owner) has two newer Volvos he purchased as company cars that have also racked up some miles, and they also drive wonderfully. My fiance and his dad absolutely love Volvo XC90's and this lead me to purchase one for myself. I recently bought a used 2004 2.5T FWD with 53,000 miles and I love it so far. I hope she also makes it to 250,000!

I loved that car...
By NavyMom on 02/23/10 13:54 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Overall I had an excellent experience with my Volvo XC90. I had some of the same issues in that I had to replace the brake pads and tires frequently, but I do mostly city driving with a lot of stop and go. I had no major problems until December of 2009. The check engine light went on. It was time for the 60,000 mile tune-up and when they changed the spark plugs and coil, everything was fine for about 2 weeks. Then the engine light came back on. It took an overnight stay and a cold start for them to find the issue;a cracked gasket head!! There had been no warning signs, no running it hot, nothing! The repair cost of $6000 made me decide to trade it for the new XC60 T6 AWD. I miss it :(

NEVER will we buy a Volvo again..
By Jen on 02/02/10 08:27 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I am the original owner of this car. We paid MSRP (I know, I know). The car is loaded and was fabulous for about a year. We have had to replace all four tires 4 times, brakes 4 times, transmission, rear bearings.. engine problems, key fob problems, seat belt problem, water leaking... You name it, we've had it. The ONLY thing we did right was buy the extended warranty. Has saved us $10k, easily.

What A Joke
By David on 02/01/10 06:32 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased the Volvo XC90 for safety and reliability. The air conditioner has died three times, the engine blew up when the service department turned off the service light, leather seat split at the seams at 80,000 miles, font head lights faded and had to be replaced at 60,000 miles. There are no after market parts, Volvo stands behind its product as little as possible and charges $1,000.00 for just about everything. Even the key broke and thy charged $300 for a new one.

i must have gotten the good one
By doug on 01/29/10 13:20 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

we have put all but 23 miles on this vehicle and are not unhappy. 5 cylinder is a bit noisy on hard acceleration but we change the oil when due, put gas in the tank and drive. still has original battery, did do the 105000 maintenance. at 70000 put front break pads on. just put the 3rd set of tires on last august this vehicle can carry a lot of stuff. the back seats are rather flat so no comfortable for long trips however like ivory soap, only two of us ride in the think 99.44%of the time. we can get 2 bicycles in but it is a hassle so they go on top. only if i go by myself do a bike go inside. expect to drive at least another 100000 miles before retiring

Great Family SUV
By PWD2008 on 01/24/10 20:35 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Have owned my XC90 for 6 years and worked through several minor but aggravating issues while under warranty. I bought the XC90 for Volvo's reputation for safety and reliability, styling, and comfort. I'm very satisfied overall performance and this is one of the best highway vehicles I've owned. The ride is smooth and the 5 cylinder engine is responsive enough for all my needs. On the reliability side, I believe Ford took several cost savings measures and put cheap parts into a high end vehicle. e.g. headlamp cover pitting, rear wheel bearing wear, lug nuts rusting, and electronics problems. Very aggravating.. My 2nd vehicle (Honda Element)is more reliable at 1/2 the price

Traction problem
By Longford on 12/28/09 08:19 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Has been getting stuck everywhere! Recent snow has highlighted problem. Great satisfaction of Land-Rover driving rescuer. Has been to dealer before, who said 4 wheel drive was working normally. NO IT ISN'T! Will go to an independent if Volvo can't sort it. Suggestions are a 'damper' in the software, or a gearbox fault. Been very satisfied with overall package, but wife now wants a 4x4 that does not humiliate on a little bit of snow, or wet grass.(Hello Land Rover!!)

LEMON
By mdstover on 12/20/09 17:36 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this car in September of 2009, 3 months later I am having to buy a new car. This was the biggest peice of crap I have ever owned. The test drive was fine but on our 120+ mile trip home after purchasing it I noticed a sound I hadn't heard before. We called and they offered to fix it. We thought great so we took it all the way back and had them fix it. After 2 weeks they were waiting on a part for the back wiper. I went and got it and would take it back later when they got the part it. Again on the way home a whole new experience. Suddenly my car had major electrical issues. Turns out it was a lemon when the got it and put a band-aid on the problem and passed it on to me.