Used 2004 Volvo XC90 SUV Consumer Reviews - 379 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

First Volvo and Last Volvo
By cycle_art

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car because I was told Volvos' last a long time. They are not too expensive to repair as compared to other high-end car makers. I bought this car 2.5 years ago and have had problems from the beginning. First it was interior issues like the tweeter falling off the door, the front driver's seat pulling apart at the seams and the console lights going out. I bought an extended warranty and thank glad I did. This year $5,000 in repair bills for an axle, universal joint, CV joint, tie-rods, brake calipers and right now a Pcv breather case. The warranty doesn't cover this. The service manager told me I should not pay attention to the manual and change the oil every 3000k.

It's very comfortable.

4th Set of Tires with just 83,00 miles
By doglady2

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had my SUV since the end of 2004. I have just gone through my fourth set of tires at 83,000 miles. Volvo Customer Service takes zero responsibility for this obvious problem. They blamed it on the three tire manufacturers. Also, it is a very expensive car to repair and maintain. At 78,000 miles I replaced 5 ignition coils for a total of $345.00 in just parts no labor, Upper engine mount repair for $579.00. At 75,000 miles I had to replace the fuel pump, Idler pully, timing bel,t tentioner, brake vac switch, etc.
Even in the beginning I had to replace the brakes and front rotors at 22,000 miles. Think twice

Roominess of the back with the third row down.

Tires

Huge Transmission Problems
By dancingbear3

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

We loved our 2004 T6 until yesterday when we had to be towed from Lake Tahoe to a Sacramento Volvo Dealer ( 109 miles ). Two different dealers told me this model has a huge transmission problem. There is talk of a law suit on the discussion board as so many owners have had problems. To be fair, some of the owners got full replacement including trnsmission, lines and radiator (around $7000 n). We'll see how it goes ...

Safety features. Quite and fun to drive.

More leg room in back seats.

Best SUV Ever
By samanthalouise

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Absolutely love this SUV. Best vehicle I have ever own, hands down. Safe. Reliable. Kid friendly. Just all sound great SUV.

Best car I have ever owned
By pj8

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have never had a better experience with a car. I have owned a Honda, Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Toyota, and this Volvo has by far been the best car out of all my experiences. I have over 130,000 miles on it and it runs like it is new. I have never kept a car this long, but I never want to get rid of it! I have taken really good care of this car and kept up all the maintenance, so maybe if you don't that's where the problems come in that other people are having.

Overall, I give this car 5 stars. It's a safe and luxurious SUV. If you are looking for a cheap car, this is not it. SUV's tend to burn brakes and tires more than little cars, but I haven't found that the Volvo maintenance is any higher than my BMW SUV though. I think the expensive maintenance comes with the SUV tag not the Volvo tag. I am more than willing to spend a couple hundred more dollars a year to have a fun luxury vehicle that keeps my family alive!