2004 Volvo XC90 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
I WANT TO CRY!!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY AND TIME !!!!
By xc90w on 10/31/11 17:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

VOLVO YOU HAVE SOLD A LEMON TO YOUR LOYAL CUSTOMERS AND THAT WILL CAUSE YOU TO SUFFER GREATLY. This 2004 Volvo xc90 has been a nightmare for me. I spent over $2600 dollars this summer and it continues to add on up. my dash board turns off and i lose power to the rear of the vehicle. This makes this AWD car become FWD!! doesnt make sense but its true and i cant even open my gas door and i have to open it manually from inside. THIS IS THE WORST CAR!! Yesterday the tail light on the passenger went out and some of my front right lights too. "multiple bulbs failure" today i start it and they are all working. WHY do this to your customer VOLVO! VOLVO IS LIFELESS!!!

First Volvo and Last Volvo
By cycle_art on 10/14/11 13:24 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car because I was told Volvos' last a long time. They are not too expensive to repair as compared to other high-end car makers. I bought this car 2.5 years ago and have had problems from the beginning. First it was interior issues like the tweeter falling off the door, the front driver's seat pulling apart at the seams and the console lights going out. I bought an extended warranty and thank glad I did. This year $5,000 in repair bills for an axle, universal joint, CV joint, tie-rods, brake calipers and right now a Pcv breather case. The warranty doesn't cover this. The service manager told me I should not pay attention to the manual and change the oil every 3000k.

4th Set of Tires with just 83,00 miles
By doglady2 on 08/24/11 14:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had my SUV since the end of 2004. I have just gone through my fourth set of tires at 83,000 miles. Volvo Customer Service takes zero responsibility for this obvious problem. They blamed it on the three tire manufacturers. Also, it is a very expensive car to repair and maintain. At 78,000 miles I replaced 5 ignition coils for a total of $345.00 in just parts no labor, Upper engine mount repair for $579.00. At 75,000 miles I had to replace the fuel pump, Idler pully, timing bel,t tentioner, brake vac switch, etc. Even in the beginning I had to replace the brakes and front rotors at 22,000 miles. Think twice

Huge Transmission Problems
By dancingbear3 on 07/09/11 15:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

We loved our 2004 T6 until yesterday when we had to be towed from Lake Tahoe to a Sacramento Volvo Dealer ( 109 miles ). Two different dealers told me this model has a huge transmission problem. There is talk of a law suit on the discussion board as so many owners have had problems. To be fair, some of the owners got full replacement including trnsmission, lines and radiator (around $7000 n). We'll see how it goes ...

Best SUV Ever
By samanthalouise on 03/14/11 10:08 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Absolutely love this SUV. Best vehicle I have ever own, hands down. Safe. Reliable. Kid friendly. Just all sound great SUV.

Best car I have ever owned
By pj8 on 01/27/11 16:28 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have never had a better experience with a car. I have owned a Honda, Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Toyota, and this Volvo has by far been the best car out of all my experiences. I have over 130,000 miles on it and it runs like it is new. I have never kept a car this long, but I never want to get rid of it! I have taken really good care of this car and kept up all the maintenance, so maybe if you don't that's where the problems come in that other people are having.

The worst car I've ever had
By universaltaste on 12/13/10 14:32 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We have a 2004 Volvo XC90 that required our transmission replace 22 months ago with a 4K bill attached to it, then just last week had to have it towed in again. The first time we did not have our vehicle for 3 weeks, and now again one week has passed already. They claim fluid leaked causing severe damage to the car and now the transmission not only needs to be replaced again, but also the radiator, axle shaft, oil cooler, oil line and a host of others to the tune of $7331.90. The car currently has 122K miles, and the last time the transmission was replaced is was well under 100K miles. The dealer has even told me over the phone this fluid leaking a “known problem

2004 Volvo XC90 Transmission Issues
By FIOSWA on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have an 04 Volvo XC90 and had the bad experience of the Transmission Service Urgent light coming on and the vehicle putting itself into "limp mode" to stop further damage. Of all the blogs I read after this happened, most of them had negative outcomes as far as support from Volvo. I had a great experience and wanted to share that Volvo covered 100% of my damages. I am getting a new transmission, new radiator and new lines installed. I called Volvo's customer service line. I was assigned a customer care rep that was extremely pleasant and helpful. She worked with the Volvo dealer and I had a response in 2 hours of the 100% coverage including the diagnostic fee. Volvo: 1-800-458-1552

Good Car
By Jackchez on 09/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We have the 2.5L turbo. It has been very good with only minor repairs. Tires and front brakes at 45000 miles. I dont know why others say tires every 22000 miles. A pleasure to drive and will keep it for another 10 years!

Volvo is Swedish for junk
By Sucker Punched on 08/27/10 18:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Volvo is Swedish for junk. Worst car I have ever owned. Horrible service - Constantly breaking down. Needs a new transmission at less than 60,000 miles. New Turbo's. New head gasket. Burns through tires, oil, and brake pads, latches and locks have broken. If you are looking to be unhappy about your ride it is the car for you! Remember, friends don't let friends by Volvos! If you buy one of these cars there is one of you born every second (sucker) otherwise Volvo would go the way of Dodo bird.