2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV - Consumer Reviews

2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Ok so far
By scarmydude on 04/02/12 11:03 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We purchased a used 2004 XC90 in June 2011 with 98,000 miles. We have 111,000 to date. Only issue was we had to replace timing belt at dealer suggestion, otherwise normal maintenance. So far it has been trouble free except for routine maintenance. I hope we got a good one since I plan to keep it for at least another 50,000 miles.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By leftatdunkirk on 03/09/12 21:08 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Up to 95,000 miles and going strong. Cost more to maintain than my Toyota 4Runner did, but well worth it. The Toyota always felt like work, while the Volvo feels like home. You sit on most seats, but sit in these. Will it easily do 120mph? Without admitting to anything, I'd have to say yes. The 5cyl turbo is the way to go, as this engine/trans combo seem to be bullet-proof. I test drove this and the Honda Pilot, and am glad our family of six is moving in the Volvo.

First Volvo and Last Volvo
By cycle_art on 10/14/11 13:24 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car because I was told Volvos' last a long time. They are not too expensive to repair as compared to other high-end car makers. I bought this car 2.5 years ago and have had problems from the beginning. First it was interior issues like the tweeter falling off the door, the front driver's seat pulling apart at the seams and the console lights going out. I bought an extended warranty and thank glad I did. This year $5,000 in repair bills for an axle, universal joint, CV joint, tie-rods, brake calipers and right now a Pcv breather case. The warranty doesn't cover this. The service manager told me I should not pay attention to the manual and change the oil every 3000k.

4th Set of Tires with just 83,00 miles
By doglady2 on 08/24/11 14:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had my SUV since the end of 2004. I have just gone through my fourth set of tires at 83,000 miles. Volvo Customer Service takes zero responsibility for this obvious problem. They blamed it on the three tire manufacturers. Also, it is a very expensive car to repair and maintain. At 78,000 miles I replaced 5 ignition coils for a total of $345.00 in just parts no labor, Upper engine mount repair for $579.00. At 75,000 miles I had to replace the fuel pump, Idler pully, timing bel,t tentioner, brake vac switch, etc. Even in the beginning I had to replace the brakes and front rotors at 22,000 miles. Think twice

Best car I have ever owned
By pj8 on 01/27/11 16:28 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have never had a better experience with a car. I have owned a Honda, Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Toyota, and this Volvo has by far been the best car out of all my experiences. I have over 130,000 miles on it and it runs like it is new. I have never kept a car this long, but I never want to get rid of it! I have taken really good care of this car and kept up all the maintenance, so maybe if you don't that's where the problems come in that other people are having.

Good but not a great car.
By Maxr on 07/25/10 16:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Good car we have had this car for almost 7 years so far it is a good enjoyable car so far the brakes are squeaking we have put it in to many repair shops but it is still squeaking but like all volvos it is safe and/or good in comfort

Good for the kids
By Aronky on 02/24/10 19:59 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is built very well and feels great to drive. Rides really good, and is great for hauling around kids and stuff. Love the split tailgate and the really supportive seats. Great for long trips, but would recommend the larger engine this 2.5L inline 5 is very sluggish but gets the job done if its just for driving the kids around.

What A Joke
By David on 02/01/10 06:32 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased the Volvo XC90 for safety and reliability. The air conditioner has died three times, the engine blew up when the service department turned off the service light, leather seat split at the seams at 80,000 miles, font head lights faded and had to be replaced at 60,000 miles. There are no after market parts, Volvo stands behind its product as little as possible and charges $1,000.00 for just about everything. Even the key broke and thy charged $300 for a new one.

i must have gotten the good one
By doug on 01/29/10 13:20 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

we have put all but 23 miles on this vehicle and are not unhappy. 5 cylinder is a bit noisy on hard acceleration but we change the oil when due, put gas in the tank and drive. still has original battery, did do the 105000 maintenance. at 70000 put front break pads on. just put the 3rd set of tires on last august this vehicle can carry a lot of stuff. the back seats are rather flat so no comfortable for long trips however like ivory soap, only two of us ride in the think 99.44%of the time. we can get 2 bicycles in but it is a hassle so they go on top. only if i go by myself do a bike go inside. expect to drive at least another 100000 miles before retiring

LEMON
By mdstover on 12/20/09 17:36 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this car in September of 2009, 3 months later I am having to buy a new car. This was the biggest peice of crap I have ever owned. The test drive was fine but on our 120+ mile trip home after purchasing it I noticed a sound I hadn't heard before. We called and they offered to fix it. We thought great so we took it all the way back and had them fix it. After 2 weeks they were waiting on a part for the back wiper. I went and got it and would take it back later when they got the part it. Again on the way home a whole new experience. Suddenly my car had major electrical issues. Turns out it was a lemon when the got it and put a band-aid on the problem and passed it on to me.