Used 2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Owned for 9 years - insanely reliable
By 10162001

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car as a pre-owned, non warranty vehicle form an independent car lot in 2006. I had never owned a preowned vehicle before, I always bought/leased new cars before. But when I stumbled upon this car I fell in love and was willing to take a chance. Nine years on I am still in love with this car. It has not been without the odd issue: - when I first had it, the driver side headlight would randomly go out. I took it to a few garages and they didn't have a clue. I found an independent garage opened by a Volvo Certified Master Tech and he sorted it out right away (nearest Volvo dealership is over 2 hours from me) - the radio died in 2011 (it was 7 years old) but I was able to replace it with one found from a salvaged xc90 in 2012 and saved a lot of money by waiting for a salvaged radio vs. a new replacement ($80 + installation) - In 2014 (at 10 years old) we knew that there were some significant bits that needed to be replaced simply due to wear and tear - belts, water pump, blower fan was starting to go and the starter needed replacing. Thought about selling it but we had a rash of bad luck with BMWs and even a Porshe Cayman. My XC90 was still running great and the estimate to get all of the worn out pieces replaced was far far cheaper than getting another car. We even bought some new floor mats - no one believes this car is 11 years old. It rides and looks like a much newer car. So here I am, 9 years after I bought it and still love it. The driver's seat is getting a bit worn but the rest of the car is still in amazing shape. The fabric on the roof has a bit of a droop in a place behind the backseat light and the weatherstripping is a bit worse for wear but these are all cosmetic. Mechanically it drives as beautifully as the day I bought it. Next year I'm probably going to look at getting a preowned XC60 or maybe another XC90 but I'm keeping this 2004 for my daughter. She doesn't start driving for another few years but I have full faith that this car has many more years left. And I'll feel a lot safer with her in the XC90.

Ok so far
By scarmydude

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We purchased a used 2004 XC90 in June 2011 with 98,000 miles. We have 111,000 to date. Only issue was we had to replace timing belt at dealer suggestion, otherwise normal maintenance. So far it has been trouble free except for routine maintenance. I hope we got a good one since I plan to keep it for at least another 50,000 miles.

Safety.

Not sure.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By leftatdunkirk

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Up to 95,000 miles and going strong. Cost more to maintain than my Toyota 4Runner did, but well worth it. The Toyota always felt like work, while the Volvo feels like home. You sit on most seats, but sit in these. Will it easily do 120mph? Without admitting to anything, I'd have to say yes. The 5cyl turbo is the way to go, as this engine/trans combo seem to be bullet-proof. I test drove this and the Honda Pilot, and am glad our family of six is moving in the Volvo.

Wonderful ride quality. Comfortable seats. Family friendly. Reliability.

None.

First Volvo and Last Volvo
By cycle_art

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car because I was told Volvos' last a long time. They are not too expensive to repair as compared to other high-end car makers. I bought this car 2.5 years ago and have had problems from the beginning. First it was interior issues like the tweeter falling off the door, the front driver's seat pulling apart at the seams and the console lights going out. I bought an extended warranty and thank glad I did. This year $5,000 in repair bills for an axle, universal joint, CV joint, tie-rods, brake calipers and right now a Pcv breather case. The warranty doesn't cover this. The service manager told me I should not pay attention to the manual and change the oil every 3000k.

It's very comfortable.

4th Set of Tires with just 83,00 miles
By doglady2

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had my SUV since the end of 2004. I have just gone through my fourth set of tires at 83,000 miles. Volvo Customer Service takes zero responsibility for this obvious problem. They blamed it on the three tire manufacturers. Also, it is a very expensive car to repair and maintain. At 78,000 miles I replaced 5 ignition coils for a total of $345.00 in just parts no labor, Upper engine mount repair for $579.00. At 75,000 miles I had to replace the fuel pump, Idler pully, timing bel,t tentioner, brake vac switch, etc. Even in the beginning I had to replace the brakes and front rotors at 22,000 miles. Think twice

Roominess of the back with the third row down.

Tires