2004 Volvo XC90 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Expensive All-Weather Hauler
By scottque on 06/30/14 21:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Have had this thing now for 10+ years and 90,000 miles. Went from primary car for hauling two kids to a third car that sits outside and is reserved for "dirty work". Have been lucky enough to avoid any engine and transmission problems but the cost of multiple failed wheel bearings, sway bars, and ignition coils have really mounted - especially for a relatively low-mileage vehicle. Still, the fact that we still have this car says a lot about it. It is extremely versatile, in terms of hauling people and stuff. It has always started and never broken down. And one thing about the Swedes - they know how to make safe cars that can drive through snow! Ten years old and does not look dated.

Excellent car!
By pschmid on 01/19/14 22:01 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I picked up the car at the factory in Sweden and kept it in Europe for 3 months to benefit from sales tax advantages then in effect. I only drive the car on long distances and it therefore has barely 30,000 miles on the odometer. A Volvo is for life , as they say, and at this rate it may hold true in my case. I have not had a single problem with the car, and it still looks just like the day I took delivery. However, for urban driving it is less suitable because of the rather generous turning circle compared to my other cars. Still, overall I am very pleased.

Bought it cheap! Best car I've ever owned!!!
By timinsantafe on 06/30/13 20:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Seems like if you have the T6 AWD your doomed from the beginning with transmission and electrical problems. I picked up a 2004 2.5 5-cylinder with 80,000 miles and a blown motor at my local Volvo dealer for $2000.00!! Volvo had just installed a new transmission in it about 2000 miles before I bought it under warranty. I Called LKQ and they delivered a fresh 40,000 mile engine to my front door for $800 including shipping! Before I dropped the engine in, I installed a new timing belt water pump and replaced all the oil and coolant seals. Took about 3 days of wrench spinning and I now have a perfect 1 owner 2004 XC90 2.5 AWD with 80,000 miles for about $3200!!

Everything breaks! Marked low to bring it's ratings down!
By lane11 on 05/30/13 09:30 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Wow, this is a great car to drive, unfortunately, everything breaks on it. I normally don't post, but I just had to register to let people know. Here is the short list of things: 2004 T6, first owner: Front (both) and rear (both x 2) shock mounts (not shocks, the stupid plastic pieces they put in there). Motors in the dash for the air. Replaced two of them now. $$$ Driver window motor. $$ The rain drains on the roof got plugged up, when they overflow, it goes onto one of the computers on the driver side. $$$ Turbo is now dead $2000, and the traction/stability computer is dead. $$$ Rear wheel bearings $$ plus the tires they ruined. I won't own another volvo, ever.

L-O-V-E my Volvo!
By krysann2 on 07/09/12 19:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased my 2004 XC90 in 2009 with 48k miles on it, and as of today it has 73k. Within the first year, I was smelling gasoline when outside of the vehicle. My father in-law is an expert technician for Volvo and found out that there would soon be a recall on the fuel pump- was replaced at no cost to me. I have also had to replace the ignition since one day I couldn't even turn the key over. I truly love my car, and probably wouldn't have bought it if I did not know an expert; considering the cost to maintain and repair. If I had to pay for labor and full price for parts, I'd probably not love the car as much as I do.

DON'T BE TEMPTED!!! Turn and run the other way!
By cgo on 04/10/12 13:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Do Not buy this car! I was enamored by the nice look, the safey reputation, and the fun drive of this car. And despite warnings on this and other review sites, I went ahead and bought it. I got a used one for $10k. After a year of in-and-out of the mechanic, and countless $$'s spent on repairs, I finally junked it when the last repair estimate came to $11k. You would not believe how many "car experts" asked me how stupid I was to buy that car. Big...waste...of...money! Please do not buy this car. Don't be tempted like I was. You will regret it. I guarantee.

Ok so far
By scarmydude on 04/02/12 11:03 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We purchased a used 2004 XC90 in June 2011 with 98,000 miles. We have 111,000 to date. Only issue was we had to replace timing belt at dealer suggestion, otherwise normal maintenance. So far it has been trouble free except for routine maintenance. I hope we got a good one since I plan to keep it for at least another 50,000 miles.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By leftatdunkirk on 03/09/12 21:08 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Up to 95,000 miles and going strong. Cost more to maintain than my Toyota 4Runner did, but well worth it. The Toyota always felt like work, while the Volvo feels like home. You sit on most seats, but sit in these. Will it easily do 120mph? Without admitting to anything, I'd have to say yes. The 5cyl turbo is the way to go, as this engine/trans combo seem to be bullet-proof. I test drove this and the Honda Pilot, and am glad our family of six is moving in the Volvo.

Too many problems dont buy
By bob458 on 11/04/11 11:05 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Bought a used xc90 from volvo. We have averaged a new problem every 2000 miles. Including a breakdown leaving my pregnant wife stranded and now flickering headlights that cant be fixed despite visits to the dealership and throwing money at it. (computers and modules are next on the list) It would be nice if the dealership looked like they knew how to fix what is apparantly a common problem on their vehicles... So its going to be traded in with a 6 mth loss of 5-6k. Looks pretty but its not engineered well nor built well - certainly not the volvos of old.

Ticking Time Bomb!!
By dnll360 on 11/02/11 13:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought my xc90 used and the problems didn't start til about 85k miles. Then I started having to replace wheel bearings, control arms, and ball joints. Then my car hit 100k miles and literally as soon as the odometer rolled over, my driver side headlight went out due to an electrical issue, then the alternator went, battery needed replaced, serpintine belt, timing belt, tempeture gauge housing, crank shaft assembly, and now at 101k miles on my way to look for a new car, my car starts smoking and my turbo blew which on the t6 is a twin turbo. I have been towed 3x in 3 weeks and everytime I go to get rid of it something else goes. I am having it junked and taking a loss on what I still owe.