Used 2004 Volvo XC90 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Don't let the looks fool you!!!!
By london247 on 04/11/15 07:31 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

If you're thinking about buying this car please don't, I bought used, had it for less than a year and it was in the shop three time,with the fee being not less than $1,000 when I found out I had a few leak. I sold is as is. Glad to be rid of the piece of junk. Oh but the car looked beautiful!

Please DON'T buy, lost a lot of money on this puppy
By too_trendy_1 on 04/09/15 12:05 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Oh boy, let's see, bought the 2004 xc90 T6 last year 2014 with only 72K miles on it,good deal right!? WRONG! The transmission "fell out" about 3 months after owning it. We had a HUGE thunderstorm, which lead to a flood in the Volvo due to the seal on the sunroof needed to be cleaned. Back Breaks and drums needed to be replaced a few months later. Then no real problems for about 6 months, and then it wouldn't start. The techs couldn't figure out why? Put in a new started, bought a new key, and it still wasn't starting, 11 months later, GOT RID OF IT! Traded it in .. I wasted close to $7,000 plus in repairs, and lost on it when I traded it in. DO NOT BUY the T6 I should of done my research

Expensive All-Weather Hauler
By scottque on 06/30/14 21:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Have had this thing now for 10+ years and 90,000 miles. Went from primary car for hauling two kids to a third car that sits outside and is reserved for "dirty work". Have been lucky enough to avoid any engine and transmission problems but the cost of multiple failed wheel bearings, sway bars, and ignition coils have really mounted - especially for a relatively low-mileage vehicle. Still, the fact that we still have this car says a lot about it. It is extremely versatile, in terms of hauling people and stuff. It has always started and never broken down. And one thing about the Swedes - they know how to make safe cars that can drive through snow! Ten years old and does not look dated.

Excellent car!
By pschmid on 01/19/14 22:01 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I picked up the car at the factory in Sweden and kept it in Europe for 3 months to benefit from sales tax advantages then in effect. I only drive the car on long distances and it therefore has barely 30,000 miles on the odometer. A Volvo is for life , as they say, and at this rate it may hold true in my case. I have not had a single problem with the car, and it still looks just like the day I took delivery. However, for urban driving it is less suitable because of the rather generous turning circle compared to my other cars. Still, overall I am very pleased.

Bought it cheap! Best car I've ever owned!!!
By timinsantafe on 06/30/13 20:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Seems like if you have the T6 AWD your doomed from the beginning with transmission and electrical problems. I picked up a 2004 2.5 5-cylinder with 80,000 miles and a blown motor at my local Volvo dealer for $2000.00!! Volvo had just installed a new transmission in it about 2000 miles before I bought it under warranty. I Called LKQ and they delivered a fresh 40,000 mile engine to my front door for $800 including shipping! Before I dropped the engine in, I installed a new timing belt water pump and replaced all the oil and coolant seals. Took about 3 days of wrench spinning and I now have a perfect 1 owner 2004 XC90 2.5 AWD with 80,000 miles for about $3200!!

Everything breaks! Marked low to bring it's ratings down!
By lane11 on 05/30/13 09:30 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Wow, this is a great car to drive, unfortunately, everything breaks on it. I normally don't post, but I just had to register to let people know. Here is the short list of things: 2004 T6, first owner: Front (both) and rear (both x 2) shock mounts (not shocks, the stupid plastic pieces they put in there). Motors in the dash for the air. Replaced two of them now. $$$ Driver window motor. $$ The rain drains on the roof got plugged up, when they overflow, it goes onto one of the computers on the driver side. $$$ Turbo is now dead $2000, and the traction/stability computer is dead. $$$ Rear wheel bearings $$ plus the tires they ruined. I won't own another volvo, ever.

L-O-V-E my Volvo!
By krysann2 on 07/09/12 19:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased my 2004 XC90 in 2009 with 48k miles on it, and as of today it has 73k. Within the first year, I was smelling gasoline when outside of the vehicle. My father in-law is an expert technician for Volvo and found out that there would soon be a recall on the fuel pump- was replaced at no cost to me. I have also had to replace the ignition since one day I couldn't even turn the key over. I truly love my car, and probably wouldn't have bought it if I did not know an expert; considering the cost to maintain and repair. If I had to pay for labor and full price for parts, I'd probably not love the car as much as I do.

DON'T BE TEMPTED!!! Turn and run the other way!
By cgo on 04/10/12 13:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Do Not buy this car! I was enamored by the nice look, the safey reputation, and the fun drive of this car. And despite warnings on this and other review sites, I went ahead and bought it. I got a used one for $10k. After a year of in-and-out of the mechanic, and countless $$'s spent on repairs, I finally junked it when the last repair estimate came to $11k. You would not believe how many "car experts" asked me how stupid I was to buy that car. Big...waste...of...money! Please do not buy this car. Don't be tempted like I was. You will regret it. I guarantee.

Ok so far
By scarmydude on 04/02/12 11:03 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We purchased a used 2004 XC90 in June 2011 with 98,000 miles. We have 111,000 to date. Only issue was we had to replace timing belt at dealer suggestion, otherwise normal maintenance. So far it has been trouble free except for routine maintenance. I hope we got a good one since I plan to keep it for at least another 50,000 miles.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By leftatdunkirk on 03/09/12 21:08 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Up to 95,000 miles and going strong. Cost more to maintain than my Toyota 4Runner did, but well worth it. The Toyota always felt like work, while the Volvo feels like home. You sit on most seats, but sit in these. Will it easily do 120mph? Without admitting to anything, I'd have to say yes. The 5cyl turbo is the way to go, as this engine/trans combo seem to be bullet-proof. I test drove this and the Honda Pilot, and am glad our family of six is moving in the Volvo.