Used 2004 Volvo XC90 SUV Consumer Reviews - 379 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

2004 volvo xc90 T6
By Juan Gonzalez

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

158000 and running strong well kept maintenance done regularly nice smooth rides good for young kids GPS is a plus back up system great has been a dependable vehicle as long as you keep meaning sometime and check for the normal wear car will last you a long time

Owned for 9 years - insanely reliable
By 10162001

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car as a pre-owned, non warranty vehicle form an independent car lot in 2006. I had never owned a preowned vehicle before, I always bought/leased new cars before. But when I stumbled upon this car I fell in love and was willing to take a chance. Nine years on I am still in love with this car. It has not been without the odd issue:
- when I first had it, the driver side headlight would randomly go out. I took it to a few garages and they didn't have a clue. I found an independent garage opened by a Volvo Certified Master Tech and he sorted it out right away (nearest Volvo dealership is over 2 hours from me)

- the radio died in 2011 (it was 7 years old) but I was able to replace it with one found from a salvaged xc90 in 2012 and saved a lot of money by waiting for a salvaged radio vs. a new replacement ($80 + installation)

- In 2014 (at 10 years old) we knew that there were some significant bits that needed to be replaced simply due to wear and tear - belts, water pump, blower fan was starting to go and the starter needed replacing. Thought about selling it but we had a rash of bad luck with BMWs and even a Porshe Cayman. My XC90 was still running great and the estimate to get all of the worn out pieces replaced was far far cheaper than getting another car. We even bought some new floor mats - no one believes this car is 11 years old. It rides and looks like a much newer car.

So here I am, 9 years after I bought it and still love it. The driver's seat is getting a bit worn but the rest of the car is still in amazing shape. The fabric on the roof has a bit of a droop in a place behind the backseat light and the weatherstripping is a bit worse for wear but these are all cosmetic. Mechanically it drives as beautifully as the day I bought it. Next year I'm probably going to look at getting a preowned XC60 or maybe another XC90 but I'm keeping this 2004 for my daughter. She doesn't start driving for another few years but I have full faith that this car has many more years left. And I'll feel a lot safer with her in the XC90.

Don't let the looks fool you!!!!
By london247

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

If you're thinking about buying this car please don't, I bought used, had it for less than a year and it was in the shop three time,with the fee being not less than $1,000 when I found out I had a few leak. I sold is as is. Glad to be rid of the piece of junk. Oh but the car looked beautiful!

Please DON'T buy, lost a lot of money on this puppy
By too_trendy_1

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Oh boy, let's see, bought the 2004 xc90 T6 last year 2014 with only 72K miles on it,good deal right!? WRONG! The transmission "fell out" about 3 months after owning it. We had a HUGE thunderstorm, which lead to a flood in the Volvo due to the seal on the sunroof needed to be cleaned. Back Breaks and drums needed to be replaced a few months later. Then no real problems for about 6 months, and then it wouldn't start. The techs couldn't figure out why? Put in a new started, bought a new key, and it still wasn't starting, 11 months later, GOT RID OF IT! Traded it in .. I wasted close to $7,000 plus in repairs, and lost on it when I traded it in. DO NOT BUY the T6 I should of done my research

love how it looks, exterior and interior

Seat belt broke, had to replace, radio stop working, had to replace, this puppy kept breaking on us, dumped so much money in it, it makes me sick to my stomach! Happy its GONE! DON'T BUY THIS!!!

Expensive All-Weather Hauler
By scottque

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Have had this thing now for 10+ years and 90,000 miles.
Went from primary car for hauling two kids to a third car that sits outside and is reserved for "dirty work".
Have been lucky enough to avoid any engine and transmission problems but the cost of multiple failed wheel bearings, sway bars, and ignition coils have really mounted - especially for a relatively low-mileage vehicle.
Still, the fact that we still have this car says a lot about it. It is extremely versatile, in terms of hauling people and stuff.
It has always started and never broken down.
And one thing about the Swedes - they know how to make safe cars that can drive through snow!
Ten years old and does not look dated.

Timeless styling (maybe because Volvo has not yet redesigned this model...). On-demand 4WD (no one has this anymore!). Versatile interior. Good handling in poor weather. Quick-heating seats. Good visibility.

Very expensive to maintain. Weak radio antenna. No back-up camera. Underpowered engine.