2004 Volvo XC90 T6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volvo Xc90 - Consumer Reviews

2004 XC90 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Sort Reviews by

Please DON'T buy, lost a lot of money on this puppy
By too_trendy_1

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Oh boy, let's see, bought the 2004 xc90 T6 last year 2014 with only 72K miles on it,good deal right!? WRONG! The transmission "fell out" about 3 months after owning it. We had a HUGE thunderstorm, which lead to a flood in the Volvo due to the seal on the sunroof needed to be cleaned. Back Breaks and drums needed to be replaced a few months later. Then no real problems for about 6 months, and then it wouldn't start. The techs couldn't figure out why? Put in a new started, bought a new key, and it still wasn't starting, 11 months later, GOT RID OF IT! Traded it in .. I wasted close to $7,000 plus in repairs, and lost on it when I traded it in. DO NOT BUY the T6 I should of done my research

Favorite Features

love how it looks, exterior and interior

Suggested Improvements

Seat belt broke, had to replace, radio stop working, had to replace, this puppy kept breaking on us, dumped so much money in it, it makes me sick to my stomach! Happy its GONE! DON'T BUY THIS!!!

Expensive All-Weather Hauler
By scottque

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Have had this thing now for 10+ years and 90,000 miles. Went from primary car for hauling two kids to a third car that sits outside and is reserved for "dirty work". Have been lucky enough to avoid any engine and transmission problems but the cost of multiple failed wheel bearings, sway bars, and ignition coils have really mounted - especially for a relatively low-mileage vehicle. Still, the fact that we still have this car says a lot about it. It is extremely versatile, in terms of hauling people and stuff. It has always started and never broken down. And one thing about the Swedes - they know how to make safe cars that can drive through snow! Ten years old and does not look dated.

Favorite Features

Timeless styling (maybe because Volvo has not yet redesigned this model...). On-demand 4WD (no one has this anymore!). Versatile interior. Good handling in poor weather. Quick-heating seats. Good visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Very expensive to maintain. Weak radio antenna. No back-up camera. Underpowered engine.

Everything breaks! Marked low to bring it's ratings down!
By lane11

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Wow, this is a great car to drive, unfortunately, everything breaks on it. I normally don't post, but I just had to register to let people know. Here is the short list of things: 2004 T6, first owner: Front (both) and rear (both x 2) shock mounts (not shocks, the stupid plastic pieces they put in there). Motors in the dash for the air. Replaced two of them now. $$$ Driver window motor. $$ The rain drains on the roof got plugged up, when they overflow, it goes onto one of the computers on the driver side. $$$ Turbo is now dead $2000, and the traction/stability computer is dead. $$$ Rear wheel bearings $$ plus the tires they ruined. I won't own another volvo, ever.

Suggested Improvements

Crush all of them. I was actually yelling in the service center that the shock mounts (getting replaced for the second time in 60K miles) was completely unacceptable and that's not a "normal" wear item on any other car in the world. The motors in the dash going out that direct airflow. Are you kidding? We have had two failures. I think people don't even know that half these things are broken. Dash motor, makes a "burring" noise when it's moving. Shock mounts make a clunking noise when going over small bumps slow. Rear bearing, humming noise, turbo is a loud burring metallic sound under the hood when you take off, usually turning. Everything else gives you a "spend $$" message on dash

DON'T BE TEMPTED!!! Turn and run the other way!
By cgo

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Do Not buy this car! I was enamored by the nice look, the safey reputation, and the fun drive of this car. And despite warnings on this and other review sites, I went ahead and bought it. I got a used one for $10k. After a year of in-and-out of the mechanic, and countless $$'s spent on repairs, I finally junked it when the last repair estimate came to $11k. You would not believe how many "car experts" asked me how stupid I was to buy that car. Big...waste...of...money! Please do not buy this car. Don't be tempted like I was. You will regret it. I guarantee.

Too many problems dont buy
By bob458

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Bought a used xc90 from volvo. We have averaged a new problem every 2000 miles. Including a breakdown leaving my pregnant wife stranded and now flickering headlights that cant be fixed despite visits to the dealership and throwing money at it. (computers and modules are next on the list) It would be nice if the dealership looked like they knew how to fix what is apparantly a common problem on their vehicles... So its going to be traded in with a 6 mth loss of 5-6k. Looks pretty but its not engineered well nor built well - certainly not the volvos of old.

Favorite Features

Very pretty and cute.

Suggested Improvements

Fix your well known and documented faults......A vehicle with a faulty headlight design is dangerous. Design a car your service departments can fix....not look confused about.

Ticking Time Bomb!!
By dnll360

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought my xc90 used and the problems didn't start til about 85k miles. Then I started having to replace wheel bearings, control arms, and ball joints. Then my car hit 100k miles and literally as soon as the odometer rolled over, my driver side headlight went out due to an electrical issue, then the alternator went, battery needed replaced, serpintine belt, timing belt, tempeture gauge housing, crank shaft assembly, and now at 101k miles on my way to look for a new car, my car starts smoking and my turbo blew which on the t6 is a twin turbo. I have been towed 3x in 3 weeks and everytime I go to get rid of it something else goes. I am having it junked and taking a loss on what I still owe.

Suggested Improvements

cheap quality product needs drastic improvement

I WANT TO CRY!!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY AND TIME !!!!
By xc90w

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

VOLVO YOU HAVE SOLD A LEMON TO YOUR LOYAL CUSTOMERS AND THAT WILL CAUSE YOU TO SUFFER GREATLY. This 2004 Volvo xc90 has been a nightmare for me. I spent over $2600 dollars this summer and it continues to add on up. my dash board turns off and i lose power to the rear of the vehicle. This makes this AWD car become FWD!! doesnt make sense but its true and i cant even open my gas door and i have to open it manually from inside. THIS IS THE WORST CAR!! Yesterday the tail light on the passenger went out and some of my front right lights too. "multiple bulbs failure" today i start it and they are all working. WHY do this to your customer VOLVO! VOLVO IS LIFELESS!!!

Favorite Features

Nothing!!! There is so many things wrong with this car that i cant even start to pick out my favorite features !! LEMON all around !!!

Suggested Improvements

Bi-Xenon headlights.. I cant stand the fact that they only rise up because its WORTHLESS!! esp going down a hill. They just go down even more. Also the the plastic caps to everything .. my rear wiper roof rack rims and everything just like to come off in the car wash.. Maybe build them a little tougher.. things are not cheap to replace.

Huge Transmission Problems
By dancingbear3

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

We loved our 2004 T6 until yesterday when we had to be towed from Lake Tahoe to a Sacramento Volvo Dealer ( 109 miles ). Two different dealers told me this model has a huge transmission problem. There is talk of a law suit on the discussion board as so many owners have had problems. To be fair, some of the owners got full replacement including trnsmission, lines and radiator (around $7000 n). We'll see how it goes ...

Favorite Features

Safety features. Quite and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room in back seats.

Best SUV Ever
By samanthalouise

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Absolutely love this SUV. Best vehicle I have ever own, hands down. Safe. Reliable. Kid friendly. Just all sound great SUV.

2004 Volvo XC90 Transmission Issues
By FIOSWA

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have an 04 Volvo XC90 and had the bad experience of the Transmission Service Urgent light coming on and the vehicle putting itself into "limp mode" to stop further damage. Of all the blogs I read after this happened, most of them had negative outcomes as far as support from Volvo. I had a great experience and wanted to share that Volvo covered 100% of my damages. I am getting a new transmission, new radiator and new lines installed. I called Volvo's customer service line. I was assigned a customer care rep that was extremely pleasant and helpful. She worked with the Volvo dealer and I had a response in 2 hours of the 100% coverage including the diagnostic fee. Volvo: 1-800-458-1552

Favorite Features

Love my car, so happy it will be fixed and running well again. It had 85k miles on it and the extended warranty had expired 4 months prior to the transmission failure. If you have a bad tranny you also need new lines and a new radiator because the trans fluid has been leaking into the radiator.

Suggested Improvements

The Volvo dealer stated it was the 04 and 05 tranny's that were bad. They have since fixed the issue and are willing to look at each case of bad transmissions to see if they are willing to provide "goodwill assistance", which they did for me. Otherwise it would have been over $8k in damages. Than