2004 Volvo XC90 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Expensive All-Weather Hauler
By scottque on 06/30/14 21:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Have had this thing now for 10+ years and 90,000 miles. Went from primary car for hauling two kids to a third car that sits outside and is reserved for "dirty work". Have been lucky enough to avoid any engine and transmission problems but the cost of multiple failed wheel bearings, sway bars, and ignition coils have really mounted - especially for a relatively low-mileage vehicle. Still, the fact that we still have this car says a lot about it. It is extremely versatile, in terms of hauling people and stuff. It has always started and never broken down. And one thing about the Swedes - they know how to make safe cars that can drive through snow! Ten years old and does not look dated.

Everything breaks! Marked low to bring it's ratings down!
By lane11 on 05/30/13 09:30 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Wow, this is a great car to drive, unfortunately, everything breaks on it. I normally don't post, but I just had to register to let people know. Here is the short list of things: 2004 T6, first owner: Front (both) and rear (both x 2) shock mounts (not shocks, the stupid plastic pieces they put in there). Motors in the dash for the air. Replaced two of them now. $$$ Driver window motor. $$ The rain drains on the roof got plugged up, when they overflow, it goes onto one of the computers on the driver side. $$$ Turbo is now dead $2000, and the traction/stability computer is dead. $$$ Rear wheel bearings $$ plus the tires they ruined. I won't own another volvo, ever.

DON'T BE TEMPTED!!! Turn and run the other way!
By cgo on 04/10/12 13:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Do Not buy this car! I was enamored by the nice look, the safey reputation, and the fun drive of this car. And despite warnings on this and other review sites, I went ahead and bought it. I got a used one for $10k. After a year of in-and-out of the mechanic, and countless $$'s spent on repairs, I finally junked it when the last repair estimate came to $11k. You would not believe how many "car experts" asked me how stupid I was to buy that car. Big...waste...of...money! Please do not buy this car. Don't be tempted like I was. You will regret it. I guarantee.

Too many problems dont buy
By bob458 on 11/04/11 11:05 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Bought a used xc90 from volvo. We have averaged a new problem every 2000 miles. Including a breakdown leaving my pregnant wife stranded and now flickering headlights that cant be fixed despite visits to the dealership and throwing money at it. (computers and modules are next on the list) It would be nice if the dealership looked like they knew how to fix what is apparantly a common problem on their vehicles... So its going to be traded in with a 6 mth loss of 5-6k. Looks pretty but its not engineered well nor built well - certainly not the volvos of old.

Ticking Time Bomb!!
By dnll360 on 11/02/11 13:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought my xc90 used and the problems didn't start til about 85k miles. Then I started having to replace wheel bearings, control arms, and ball joints. Then my car hit 100k miles and literally as soon as the odometer rolled over, my driver side headlight went out due to an electrical issue, then the alternator went, battery needed replaced, serpintine belt, timing belt, tempeture gauge housing, crank shaft assembly, and now at 101k miles on my way to look for a new car, my car starts smoking and my turbo blew which on the t6 is a twin turbo. I have been towed 3x in 3 weeks and everytime I go to get rid of it something else goes. I am having it junked and taking a loss on what I still owe.

I WANT TO CRY!!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY AND TIME !!!!
By xc90w on 10/31/11 17:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

VOLVO YOU HAVE SOLD A LEMON TO YOUR LOYAL CUSTOMERS AND THAT WILL CAUSE YOU TO SUFFER GREATLY. This 2004 Volvo xc90 has been a nightmare for me. I spent over $2600 dollars this summer and it continues to add on up. my dash board turns off and i lose power to the rear of the vehicle. This makes this AWD car become FWD!! doesnt make sense but its true and i cant even open my gas door and i have to open it manually from inside. THIS IS THE WORST CAR!! Yesterday the tail light on the passenger went out and some of my front right lights too. "multiple bulbs failure" today i start it and they are all working. WHY do this to your customer VOLVO! VOLVO IS LIFELESS!!!

Huge Transmission Problems
By dancingbear3 on 07/09/11 15:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

We loved our 2004 T6 until yesterday when we had to be towed from Lake Tahoe to a Sacramento Volvo Dealer ( 109 miles ). Two different dealers told me this model has a huge transmission problem. There is talk of a law suit on the discussion board as so many owners have had problems. To be fair, some of the owners got full replacement including trnsmission, lines and radiator (around $7000 n). We'll see how it goes ...

Best SUV Ever
By samanthalouise on 03/14/11 10:08 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Absolutely love this SUV. Best vehicle I have ever own, hands down. Safe. Reliable. Kid friendly. Just all sound great SUV.

2004 Volvo XC90 Transmission Issues
By FIOSWA on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have an 04 Volvo XC90 and had the bad experience of the Transmission Service Urgent light coming on and the vehicle putting itself into "limp mode" to stop further damage. Of all the blogs I read after this happened, most of them had negative outcomes as far as support from Volvo. I had a great experience and wanted to share that Volvo covered 100% of my damages. I am getting a new transmission, new radiator and new lines installed. I called Volvo's customer service line. I was assigned a customer care rep that was extremely pleasant and helpful. She worked with the Volvo dealer and I had a response in 2 hours of the 100% coverage including the diagnostic fee. Volvo: 1-800-458-1552

Volvo is Swedish for junk
By Sucker Punched on 08/27/10 18:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Volvo is Swedish for junk. Worst car I have ever owned. Horrible service - Constantly breaking down. Needs a new transmission at less than 60,000 miles. New Turbo's. New head gasket. Burns through tires, oil, and brake pads, latches and locks have broken. If you are looking to be unhappy about your ride it is the car for you! Remember, friends don't let friends by Volvos! If you buy one of these cars there is one of you born every second (sucker) otherwise Volvo would go the way of Dodo bird.