2004 Volvo XC90 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
The worst car I've ever had
By universaltaste on 12/13/10 14:32 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We have a 2004 Volvo XC90 that required our transmission replace 22 months ago with a 4K bill attached to it, then just last week had to have it towed in again. The first time we did not have our vehicle for 3 weeks, and now again one week has passed already. They claim fluid leaked causing severe damage to the car and now the transmission not only needs to be replaced again, but also the radiator, axle shaft, oil cooler, oil line and a host of others to the tune of $7331.90. The car currently has 122K miles, and the last time the transmission was replaced is was well under 100K miles. The dealer has even told me over the phone this fluid leaking a “known problem

Everything breaks! Marked low to bring it's ratings down!
By lane11 on 05/30/13 09:30 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Wow, this is a great car to drive, unfortunately, everything breaks on it. I normally don't post, but I just had to register to let people know. Here is the short list of things: 2004 T6, first owner: Front (both) and rear (both x 2) shock mounts (not shocks, the stupid plastic pieces they put in there). Motors in the dash for the air. Replaced two of them now. $$$ Driver window motor. $$ The rain drains on the roof got plugged up, when they overflow, it goes onto one of the computers on the driver side. $$$ Turbo is now dead $2000, and the traction/stability computer is dead. $$$ Rear wheel bearings $$ plus the tires they ruined. I won't own another volvo, ever.

What a Mistake
By BrianL on 11/05/08 11:07 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't. This vehicle has been nothing but problems. Brakes wear too fast, the first brake job was at 6,000 miles, I have 23,000 and need new rotors and pads. The steering makes noise and has always, I was told it was normal. Then after the warranty was up I had to have the front steering fixed, ball joints and the rack. now the steering only makes fluid noise but still a pain. The radio is the worst ever. The best part is the safety, but with the poor fuel economy, the multiple problems, the very poor resale value I should have went with the BMW. For some reason my wife wants to keep it. I can only expect more problems as time goes on.

Extended Warrenty saves the day
By Lemon on 09/12/08 06:46 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

This car is in the shop about once a month. Luckily we bought the extended service warranty as the build quality is on par with some of the first generation Korean models. Some the failures are real safety concerns. I guess the positive if the parts do fail and result in accident you know you will be safe.

Man, I hate this car
By Heath Kinsland on 08/30/08 19:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This was purchased as my wife's car but she got tired of it and is now driving my Tahoe and I am stuck (read upside down) in this thing. Rides great on the highway including good gas mileage but around town the turbo lag is just unacceptable. There is no storage inside in areas like the console and the stereo is not adaptable to adding bluetooth or XM/Sirius. Additionally, the controls for the stereo are not very intuitive making it difficult to operate. The rain-sensing wipers don't seem to follow any kind of consistent operating process. To many plastic pieces that seem to break and the cost of replacement parts are out of hand. $180 for a headlight bulb is completely crazy!

Rolling Produce
By DeanDeanDean on 11/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

In shop over 37 days. Chronic brake & steering problems, still not resolved. Generally takes multiple visits to get anything fixed, and the fixes seem often to be band-aids rather than actual fixes. Zero confidence in the build quality of this vehicle. It's supposed to be a safe car, but you have to be able to drive it to benefit.

What A Joke
By David on 02/01/10 06:32 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased the Volvo XC90 for safety and reliability. The air conditioner has died three times, the engine blew up when the service department turned off the service light, leather seat split at the seams at 80,000 miles, font head lights faded and had to be replaced at 60,000 miles. There are no after market parts, Volvo stands behind its product as little as possible and charges $1,000.00 for just about everything. Even the key broke and thy charged $300 for a new one.

Don't Buy this Vehicle...
By ranchoslacker on 08/25/05 00:12 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

if you care anything about value for your money. Every time I turn around I am spending money to drive this pig. New brakes, new tires, horrible gas mileage, fragile engine parts, cheesy leather on the seats -- I'm sure there are more breakdowns and bad news to come when the warranty expires (which is substandard). Plus, all the airbags mean huge blind spots -- very dangerous to drive without some sort of rear camera navigation system. Finally, the sheer arrogance of the sales and service people (my own servie rep, who is a saint, excluded) is amazing and enough to say "no thanks." After owning Swedish cars for more than a decade, I will NEVER EVER EVER consider anything from Volvo again

Continually Frustrated with XC90
By Mike_AnnArbor on 02/17/08 04:44 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

For a $40K+ Auto, I'm extremely disappointed with the number of times I've had to take it in for repairs. The engine & body have been reliable - only 2 or 3 service calls in those areas. The problems with electronics have been numerous. Examples: - New software to close windows properly - Ship CD player back to Sweden to retrieve stuck CDs (10 weeks) - Car doors mysteriously lock themselves - Seats loose their memory every month - Disable intermittent wipers - they go crazy on sunny days Every time we take it to Sesi Volvo, they insist there is nothing wrong. We need to insist they look for service note and they usually find th

LEMON
By mdstover on 12/20/09 17:36 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this car in September of 2009, 3 months later I am having to buy a new car. This was the biggest peice of crap I have ever owned. The test drive was fine but on our 120+ mile trip home after purchasing it I noticed a sound I hadn't heard before. We called and they offered to fix it. We thought great so we took it all the way back and had them fix it. After 2 weeks they were waiting on a part for the back wiper. I went and got it and would take it back later when they got the part it. Again on the way home a whole new experience. Suddenly my car had major electrical issues. Turns out it was a lemon when the got it and put a band-aid on the problem and passed it on to me.