Used 2004 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volvo Xc90 - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volvo XC90

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Don't let the looks fool you!!!!
By london247

2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

If you're thinking about buying this car please don't, I bought used, had it for less than a year and it was in the shop three time,with the fee being not less than $1,000 when I found out I had a few leak. I sold is as is. Glad to be rid of the piece of junk. Oh but the car looked beautiful!

Please DON'T buy, lost a lot of money on this puppy
By too_trendy_1

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Oh boy, let's see, bought the 2004 xc90 T6 last year 2014 with only 72K miles on it,good deal right!? WRONG! The transmission "fell out" about 3 months after owning it. We had a HUGE thunderstorm, which lead to a flood in the Volvo due to the seal on the sunroof needed to be cleaned. Back Breaks and drums needed to be replaced a few months later. Then no real problems for about 6 months, and then it wouldn't start. The techs couldn't figure out why? Put in a new started, bought a new key, and it still wasn't starting, 11 months later, GOT RID OF IT! Traded it in .. I wasted close to $7,000 plus in repairs, and lost on it when I traded it in. DO NOT BUY the T6 I should of done my research

Favorite Features

love how it looks, exterior and interior

Suggested Improvements

Seat belt broke, had to replace, radio stop working, had to replace, this puppy kept breaking on us, dumped so much money in it, it makes me sick to my stomach! Happy its GONE! DON'T BUY THIS!!!

Expensive All-Weather Hauler
By scottque

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Have had this thing now for 10+ years and 90,000 miles. Went from primary car for hauling two kids to a third car that sits outside and is reserved for "dirty work". Have been lucky enough to avoid any engine and transmission problems but the cost of multiple failed wheel bearings, sway bars, and ignition coils have really mounted - especially for a relatively low-mileage vehicle. Still, the fact that we still have this car says a lot about it. It is extremely versatile, in terms of hauling people and stuff. It has always started and never broken down. And one thing about the Swedes - they know how to make safe cars that can drive through snow! Ten years old and does not look dated.

Favorite Features

Timeless styling (maybe because Volvo has not yet redesigned this model...). On-demand 4WD (no one has this anymore!). Versatile interior. Good handling in poor weather. Quick-heating seats. Good visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Very expensive to maintain. Weak radio antenna. No back-up camera. Underpowered engine.

Excellent car!
By pschmid

2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I picked up the car at the factory in Sweden and kept it in Europe for 3 months to benefit from sales tax advantages then in effect. I only drive the car on long distances and it therefore has barely 30,000 miles on the odometer. A Volvo is for life , as they say, and at this rate it may hold true in my case. I have not had a single problem with the car, and it still looks just like the day I took delivery. However, for urban driving it is less suitable because of the rather generous turning circle compared to my other cars. Still, overall I am very pleased.

Bought it cheap! Best car I've ever owned!!!
By timinsantafe

2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Seems like if you have the T6 AWD your doomed from the beginning with transmission and electrical problems. I picked up a 2004 2.5 5-cylinder with 80,000 miles and a blown motor at my local Volvo dealer for $2000.00!! Volvo had just installed a new transmission in it about 2000 miles before I bought it under warranty. I Called LKQ and they delivered a fresh 40,000 mile engine to my front door for $800 including shipping! Before I dropped the engine in, I installed a new timing belt water pump and replaced all the oil and coolant seals. Took about 3 days of wrench spinning and I now have a perfect 1 owner 2004 XC90 2.5 AWD with 80,000 miles for about $3200!!

Favorite Features

I'm glad I'm not the poor sucker that spent $40,000 dollars for this SUV. I've owned it for 2 years and put additionally 30,000 miles on it. Not one problem and totally trouble free!! Do your regular maintenance, keep the oil clean and service the transmission with the Volvo Synthetic fluid and your XC90 will be totally trouble free!!