Very happy @ 200,000
By in_a_hurry on
2003 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)
I've read the recent reviews and it appears most folks are pretty miffed with their XC-90's. I couldn't be happier with mine. A couple car pool trips shy of 200,000 miles (I bought it new) and no major issues - never a tranny, motor, A/C or electrical problem. I get about 45,000 miles on tires - not great but a willing compromise knowing I'm driving a stout porker that's as safe as anything on the road. I have an honest, reliable mechanic who has taken care of a couple cars for me - a bonus. Other than scheduled maintenance items, there hasn't been much to repair on the car that would not be expected, given the mileage. Ball joints and motor mounts are the only things that come to mind
Favorite Features
Safe, sturdy and a pleasure to drive - my wife and daughter enjoy driving it so it appeals to a broad range of tastes and driving styles. Road feel and weight of the vehicle inspire confidence. Plenty of space and options with folding 3rd row seats. The seats are very comfortable and supportive. While not a powerful car, the turbo charged motor has plenty of juice to keep you safe when merging, passing, etc.
Suggested Improvements
Sunroof drain plugs shrink over time, resulting in water intrusion if not resolved promptly. Plugs need to be pulled and cut/slit to open them back up - a VERY simple fix but one that needs to be done promptly. Headlamps fog badly over time - reducing visibility until polished. Stereo system is underwhelming. Turning radius is unusually wide - the complete opposite of early Volvos (240, et. al).
By tostik
on 02/10/12 17:27 PM (PST)

You were lucky enough to get the 2.5T--a classic, proven Volvo engine that was paired with a good transmission. As for the other problems with the early model years of the XC90, a fairly good number of 2.5T owners slipped through with few problems. From about '06 onward, overwhelming, most people are very happy with their XC90s. But I do like reading the reviews of people have had happy experiences with their '03 thru '05 XC90s. I own an '06 2.5T AWD 7 seat XC90, and love it. It's a great car.