Used 2003 Volvo XC90 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

pretty solid
By jj

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have had this auto for two years now. I still get looks while driving. It is a very comfortable auto to drive and lots of safety stuff too.

Favorite Features

exterior design, it is beautiful

Suggested Improvements

offer more masculine color choices

36K Miles
By Mike McNutt

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Ours is fully equipped with everything. We driven it 36K miles and really like the car. We have taken 3500 mile trips, and two over 2000 miles. I like the car as a daily driver as well. We have had trouble with the brakes, light coming on and the power assist, was in five times for the problem, but never a safety issue, just a nuisance. Avg. 20-22 mpg on hwy, 14-17 in town. The best 26mpg. Plenty of power for everything except drag racing.

Favorite Features

Quietness of car, radio quality, Love the GPS, comfort of seats.

Suggested Improvements

Improve forward visibility from rear seats. Loose change holder would be nice.

There is no other SUV in this league
By Sam Samaha

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Combine build quality, safety, design, and safety into the ultimate SUV and you get the XC90 T6, Contrary to the media's view, I drove both the 5 and 6 and found the 5 to be very buzzy and underpowered, especially at passing speeds. The ride of this vehicle is better than many cars. I own a 2004 Passat GLX (top of the line) and I find the handling of the Volvo SUV better. We also looked at the BMW X5 3.0, MB ML320, and Acura MDX.. butI I highly recommend this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Style, Quality, Ride, Safety

Suggested Improvements

Mileage, and more front legroom

Volvo XC90 -- 2003
By RoJo

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Toss up between the X5 and XC90--we choose the XC90. Although we're happy with the vehicle overall, the gas mileage, acceleration, audio system and navigator system need Volvo's attention. Overall the vehicle gets high marks for style (interior/exterior), craftsmanship, comfront and maintenance.

Favorite Features

Interior room and cargo space

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system ought to be fixed and placed in a position where glare isn't a factor. Audio system is terrible, while gas mileage and acceleration are average at best.

really disappointed
By oliver986

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

love the looks, but could not be more disappointed with volvo and the vehicle. vehicle died on me 3 times, including a road trip, and other than a dealer in florida i took the car to on vacation, the dealers were not very helpful. i know 1 other xc90 t6 owner who has had the same computer ignition problem, so i'm not the only one. i wrote a letter to the ceo of volvo, who, in my owner information, said to contact him with any concerns. i have never heard back from anyone at volvo on my problems. nor did i ever hear from anyone to confirm my car was working after several roadside assistance calls. not the kind of upscale experience i expected. so i trade

Favorite Features

looks, one of the best looking suv's on the market, seating comfort and cargo capacity is amazing! ride is wonderful smoother than anything else i've driven.

Suggested Improvements

quality! starting every time you crank it would be nice! steering is vague, constant corrections needed on the road, radio is odd, can't manually tune the radio up or down, just scan to the next station, and it takes pressing three buttons to scan stations.