2003 Volvo XC90 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
Safety first.. Volvo First
By Trini on 10/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

My wife and I wnated a mini van, something that can hold 7 passengers. Waited a year after the intorduction at the Detroit Auto show, and it was WORTH the wait. Car like drive, lots of nice features, and you feel very safe in this suv. I have been sold on Volvo and this is my second car, nothing beats feeling safe! After 6 months I am happy to see all the GREAT reviews... means we made a good decision :)

Excellent Interior Comfort
By JB Redwood on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

One thing Volvo maintains is orthopedic seats designed by MDs. Believe them, the ride is superb. I own an SL600 also and I like my Volvo so much I may just own two before long. It handles like a European Sports sedan not an SUV. Remarkable car. I don't like that the rear gate doesn't latch with the lower quarter gate down or that the rear window doesn't open, as it did on our old Mountianeer, but those are my only disappointments. The 5cyl is just fine, I don't see the need for the six. I have all the power we need, it's not underpowered.

Performed moderately well
By MomInAZ on 10/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Aside from looking great on the road, the XC90 has a few weak spots. There is a blind spot on both the driver and passenger sides which block peripheral vision in a very disruptive and dangerous way. A surprise for Volvo who appears concerned with safety. No other severe blind spots, but extreme caution must be taken to overcome this. After the first service at 7500, we completed MANY warranty repair issues. Yikes. Some minor, but one major issue with brakes. Days after this service, the check engine light appeared. The service dept at our local dealer was so slow, I've yet to service. Good luck!

Worst SUV I have ever purchased
By Janeen on 10/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

So many problems with my XC90. Volvo sent this SUV out and did not finish putting it together. The carpet fell down in the front seat, outside window trim was not attached, numerous problems with the braking system-very loud noise, exhaust was entering car, Anti skid warning light kept coming on, When unlocking the front door the trim around the lock came off, made repeated trips to dealership and they said they fixed it and they did not. Can't wait to get rid of this SUV!

WJMJ 2003 X-C 90 T-6 Review
By wjmj on 09/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Unbeatable safety features. A very versatile, roomy, quiet and comfortable vehicle that gives you an extremely confident road feel. All- wheel drive is excellent. Despite reviews in the press, my T-6 has shown plenty of acceleration ability, especially in 3rd and 4th gear. A very comfortable ride and excellent brakes. My vehicle has had no defects, a remarkable thing for such a complex vehicle. Gas mileage has been somewhat disappointing (15-16 around town and 18-19 on highway), even for a heavy 5,000 lbs. vehicle. Excellent climate control system. Wonderful vehicle overall.

XC90
By Anton Vasyukevich on 09/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Overall the best SUV ever. I enjoying it every minute I drive

this is what a suv should be
By plateau guy on 09/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Had for 7 months now and love it. Gas milage is averaging almost 18-mostly non freeway-pretty good for a solid midsize suv. Lots of room for gear, and drives great- much more like a car than a truck. Could use more power, but then so could everything! Sound system sounds great with powered sub- woofer.

AR1
By Andres Rojo on 09/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Great riding, flexible cargo space, comfortable to sleep in long trips (comment from my son Francisco, frequet passenger).

Disappointed
By California Mom on 08/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this car planning to take long road trips. The seat back has real problems. It is very stiff leather, not conforming to the body like leathers we've owned before, Further, it is poorly configured for a shorter person...breaks in the wrong places and is unforgiving. Additionally, the headrest does not adjust. Small foot well(no room for purse and sit straight). Dual air conditioning is usual in many car of this price range. Navigation hard to use and hard to see v. in dash ones we've had before. Clock is unreadable by passenger.

Love it - Love it - Love it!
By arrowmm on 08/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Such a great car! Did alot of research - Edmunds really helped. The child seat was my weakness. My son is 3 and can't use it till 4. I noticed how well worth it it was the first 5:00 am I drove to work. xenon headlights made a big difference and the handling on LA freeways was so comforting - coming from an explorer HUGE difference. Worth every penny.