Used 2003 Volvo XC90 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

avoid the 2003 XC90
By steveswife1

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We've had tons of service problems. Volvo keeps telling us it is because the vehicle is the first year for the model. The vehicle absolutely cannot hold an alignment (we get it realigned every 3-6K miles) and burns thru tires rapidly (every 10-12K miles). Every time we have something fixed, a new problem emerges within 500 miles of driving. Lots of stuff (rear shocks, bearings, brake pads) have had to be replaced prematurely, and there have been many minor problems (stench from HVAC, radio malfunctions, etc.) on top of more serious concerns.

Favorite Features

Built-in booster seat.

Suggested Improvements

When inside the XC90, there is a surprising amount of road noise. If you turn the fans on, it is impossible to carry on a conversation with passengers in the back seat. This is a very family-unfriendly aspect of the car. Also, it is difficult to see to back up and the car does not beep to assist.

Leaky Volvo XC-90
By MammaDean

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

We recently had a series of problems and are very unhappy with both the local dealer and Volvo Customer Service. We had the car towed in 3 times for electrical problems before they found the problem and at the same time it was leaking. We had seen leaking around the sun roof but the car was flooding into the passenger floor - which was blamed on the sunroof drain. Again, we took it in 3 times - were accused of parking it outside! and even dumping a bucket of water in it. We paid over $1500 dollars to clean up the mess and Volvo refused to cover it under warranty. Our car was either dead or in the shop for 42 days out of the past 2 months. I will sell it and NEVER buy another Volvo

Favorite Features

It really handles well and has great acceleration from high speeds even going up hills. This car is awesome in the snow! With snow tires there is no stopping this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

I'm only 5'4" and have trouble seeing to the left = the panel between the windshield and the door is very wide. The gas mileage is awful - I definitely was not prepared for that. I have never gotten up to 20MPG - usually around 15mpg.

Too many troubles
By Renee Blei

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have not been satisfied with this vehicle's workmanship at all. I have had a wheel hub replaced, rear shocks, front sway bar, 2 rear sway bars, turbo boost valve, front cupholder has been repaired 3 times, floor mat tensioners replaced twice, 2 sets of front brakes, and the worst tire performance of any car I have ever had. I really was in love with this car until recently. It is behaving worse than an American car. Hate to give it up but I will not be able to afford this car much longer

Favorite Features

Comfort, safety, superior braking ability.

Suggested Improvements

New Quality Control and Quality Assurance teams at the manufacturer level.

Joy to Drive
By Trini

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I wish I got to drive this more, it is fun to drive, and I do drive hard. I live and work in the same place, hence don't get to drive as much. It handles very well in the Interstate, especially in corners. I feel very secure cornering at high speeds (over 70mph). This is a joy to drive.

Favorite Features

Park Assist, Navagation, Rain Sensor wipers, rims fairly easy to clean, (18") 3rd row ( kids love it ).

Suggested Improvements

Change the plastic bumpers to something paintable.

New Volvo SUV Exceeds Expectations
By 2005 Volvo XC 90

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

In 2002 I bought a new Volvo V70 CC wagon, which I loved but missed the kingly height of an SUV. In April I gave the car to my college-aged nephew and bought a 2005 XC90 T6 for myself. My new SUV now has 8000 miles and has only surpassed my expectations in function and handling. Some drivers/reviewers have dissed the programming commands on Volvo's audio and navigation systems. I don't know what they are talking about, but I'd tell them this: Practice makes perfect. Once mastered both systems are easy to operate, and operate like a dream. The navigation system, AKA "Inga," is so handy and reliable I now can't imagine driving without it. Overall my new XC90 is not just good, it's spectacular

Favorite Features

Handling, safety, styling -- while Volvo is as fine a car as high-end competitors, it says much less about the owner than, say, Lexus, BMW or Benz. Xenon headlamps allow me to drive at night with new confidence, and navigation system reduces the risk of getting lost, increasing my driving stamina.

Suggested Improvements

Please dump fossil fuel technology and focus on developing more efficient, cleaner power sources, such as hybrid, solar, hydrogen and/or helium 3.