Used 2003 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

5th Volvo
By SK Love

2003 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

The XC90 was my 5th Volvo. I have loved every Volvo and have but good things to say. I rarely have had to go to service in between my maintenance service. The XC90 is so much fun to drive and get around in. It is quick & a VERY smooth ride. Love it!!

How easy it is to drive & peppy. Can fit so many things in the back, larger than you think when you put the seats down.

Fancier dash. More options are becoming available with seat cushions.

Nice Car, Costs a small fortune to maint
By Dennis

2003 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have owned a lot of cars over the years, this one is buy far the most expensive to maintain. I'm on my third set of tires with only 56,000 miles. The first two sets from the dealership got less than 20K each. The tires generally recommended are too light for this car. The third set was Michelins but they aren't up to the task either. For my next set of tires I'm going to try the GoodYear Assurance ComforTred tires. It took the service department about 3 years to finally fix the leak in my power steering. And the funny noise the front end suspension made every time I made a right turn. Now let me count how many suspension parts and brake pads I've had to replace... The gas mileage sucks.

It's a comfortable car to drive.

Volvo needs to provide better tires than they currently offer. They need to do something about the suspension, I live in NYC and every time I take it in for service there is another worn bushing. I've lived here my whole life and have never had a brand new car with so many suspension problems.

Ball and Chain
By XC90 Owner

2003 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

We bought our XC90 used, knowing that it had a couple of problems to fix, but thought that the discount of buying it used would make up the difference, were we wrong. After multiple trips to the Volvo dealership for engine light issues, door seal leaks, transmission seal leaks, brake master cylinder leak/failure, and several other small engine repairs. We've deemed the check engine light the "$1000 light", because every time it comes on or we make a trip to the dealership for repairs it costs at least $1000. Great idea for Volvo's first SUV, but plagued with problems. Later years don't seem to be much better. Fun to drive, looks great, way too expensive to maintain and repair!

Fun to drive. Exterior looks are great for a small SUV. Third row seating and storage capacity are both pluses. Extra luxury in the rain sensing windshield and auto up and down windows.

Make lug bolts that don't rust...a $45K vehicle and they can't make lug bolts that are chromed? Better drive train and engine components designed to operate such a heavy AWD vehicle without constant repair. Better fuel economy. 14-16MPG is horrible mileage for a smaller SUV.

Terrible Reliability
By rdhoss

2003 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I can't even recount all of the service trips we've had - new transmission, new steering rack, new turbos, new computer board... it goes on and on. Extended Warranty has covered these repairs but I'm sick of seeing my Volvo dealer's service center!!!

Navigation

A transmission that works, brakes that last more than 10,000 miles... How about a vehicle that doesn't break down every 6 weeks???

Meets High Expectations
By Doug

2003 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The vehicle continues to look and ride like new after four years. 2.5T cruises great at 60-80 mph. Wear on tires and brakes is more than we had anticipated. Great on long trips. City mileage is a modest disappointment.

Ride on highway.

Improve city mileage. Reduce size of the center console.