2003 Volvo XC90 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
5th Volvo
By SK Love on 05/14/09 18:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

The XC90 was my 5th Volvo. I have loved every Volvo and have but good things to say. I rarely have had to go to service in between my maintenance service. The XC90 is so much fun to drive and get around in. It is quick & a VERY smooth ride. Love it!!

Nice Car, Costs a small fortune to maint
By Dennis on 03/01/09 14:32 PM (PST)

2003 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have owned a lot of cars over the years, this one is buy far the most expensive to maintain. I'm on my third set of tires with only 56,000 miles. The first two sets from the dealership got less than 20K each. The tires generally recommended are too light for this car. The third set was Michelins but they aren't up to the task either. For my next set of tires I'm going to try the GoodYear Assurance ComforTred tires. It took the service department about 3 years to finally fix the leak in my power steering. And the funny noise the front end suspension made every time I made a right turn. Now let me count how many suspension parts and brake pads I've had to replace... The gas mileage sucks.

Ball and Chain
By XC90 Owner on 06/22/08 01:03 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

We bought our XC90 used, knowing that it had a couple of problems to fix, but thought that the discount of buying it used would make up the difference, were we wrong. After multiple trips to the Volvo dealership for engine light issues, door seal leaks, transmission seal leaks, brake master cylinder leak/failure, and several other small engine repairs. We've deemed the check engine light the "$1000 light", because every time it comes on or we make a trip to the dealership for repairs it costs at least $1000. Great idea for Volvo's first SUV, but plagued with problems. Later years don't seem to be much better. Fun to drive, looks great, way too expensive to maintain and repair!

Terrible Reliability
By rdhoss on 10/09/07 16:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I can't even recount all of the service trips we've had - new transmission, new steering rack, new turbos, new computer board... it goes on and on. Extended Warranty has covered these repairs but I'm sick of seeing my Volvo dealer's service center!!!

Meets High Expectations
By Doug on 07/07/07 18:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The vehicle continues to look and ride like new after four years. 2.5T cruises great at 60-80 mph. Wear on tires and brakes is more than we had anticipated. Great on long trips. City mileage is a modest disappointment.

Gas Guzzler and Computer Problems
By alex on 05/14/07 10:02 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Bought this used/certified car with only 20,000 miles. After 1 1/2 months, the system computer breaks down with a message that the braking system and SRS had conked out. Had the car towed to dealership. Service people said it's a minor computer glitch. OK. Guess what, same problem happened again 8 times for the next 18 months, everytime had the car towed and all the inconveniences. Had the car for only 18 months and have already replaced tires, steering rod and lots of other things. Had it serviced for 30,000 miles and cost was $1,100. Overall city mileage was 11 mpg, highway about 16. With premium gas prices at $3.30/gal, this car is more expensive than sending a child to college.

First Year XC90...Gremlins
By hpark on 02/25/07 10:53 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought the T6 as a certified used car from a local dealership in 2004 with 24K on it...thank goodness for warranty as this vehicle was in the shop too often..during our first year of ownership approx 4 visits and about 1.5 months of non-use as they finally determined the engine block was cracked which caused a perpetual coolant bleed into the cylinders...plus since then sunroof drain blockage caused water to leak into the vehicle and soak all of the electrical in front. Tires burn through in about 20k miles and a window switch that sank into the door panel. Guess this is part of the First year gremlins that came out...long story short...I think the Japanese earned their quality reputation.

XC90 Never Again!
By volvofrom englewd on 01/27/07 12:50 PM (PST)

2003 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have owned many cars, never one like this. I am at the service bay at least twice a month-sometimes more. I have replaced just about everything in my XC90. At 80,000 miles expect to purchase a new transmission. I have already replaced my manifold, radiator- twice, brakes (twice a year) and tires annually (thanks to the awd-at least that's what i've been told). The only thing I haven't replaced is the steering wheel- at least not yet! And my T6 is dangerously slow!

15 + Years A Volvo Owner - No More !!
By Stephen J. Lalor on 01/02/07 13:22 PM (PST)

2003 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Was true Volvo believer here for over 15 years but no more! I have always loved this brand and believed in but the XC 90 is the most unreliable, high maintenance auto I have ever owned. 60 k miles now, and am in need of (4th set of 4 tires)and front-end ball joints; heating and air conditioning system has never worked correctly (and they can't figure it out), passenger side front window has broken at least 4 times; wind shield wiper blades fly off car.... shall I continue? I just purchased a different brand SUV even though I have 3 months to go on my Volvo-KLUNKER lease! 2007 Buyers - beware and consider alternative, less expensive SUVs unless you enjoy visiting dealer service facilities.

Frequent Service
By Sad volvo owner on 11/22/06 12:45 PM (PST)

2003 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Second volvo to own. Other was turbo S80. Both required frequent servicing. The S80 become costly after the warranty period. I was happy that I did not purchase the extended warranty because most of the problems were not covered or I used up the time before reaching the mileage. We are now located in Houston and recently their service is not user friendly. At least in St. Louis, the service was user friendly. Frequent service but user friendly. Service problems in this XC90 included the transmission needing replacement, the Turbo needing service and then multiple small electronic issues. I guess the Swedes haven't mastered computers yet. With only 28K, looking for a new vehicle!